snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Sports » Rafael Palmeiro NFBSKed Ryne Sandberg's wife

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rafael Palmeiro NFBSKed Ryne Sandberg's wife
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 401 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was have been told, many times over, that the reason the
Chicago Cubs traded slugger Rafael Palmeiro in 1989 was because he slept
with Hall-of-Famer Ryne Sandberg's wife. This is almost an accepted fact
here in Chicago, and I wonder where the rumor started and how true it is.

This makes sense on many levels:
-Ryne Sandberg was balling at his Hall of Fame induction when talking
about his second wife, whom he married after divorcing his first wife.
-The trade was lopsided - something I knew at the time despite being eight
years old: Palmeiro and Jaime Moyer, who is still pitching, for Paul
Kilgus, Mitch Williams and Drew Hill (I think).
-Considering Palmeiro has been suspended for steroids, in puts his morals
into question anyway.
-Dave Martinez, also rumored to have slept with Sandberg's wife, left the
Cubs around the same time, and re-signed with the team a few years after
Sandberg retired for the second time.

This seems significant, considering it is a feud between a man in the Hall
of Fame and a man who soon will be - that is, if the steroid thing doesn't
keep him out.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all, Palmeiro was hardly a "slugger" in 1989. He had 8 HRs in 156 games.

Secondly, who the NFBSK cares?

LikeHey"At least he banged her before the 'roid shrinkage took effect"Scoob

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 05 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
...This is almost an accepted fact
here in Chicago...

Life-long Chicagoan here who has never heard that.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same as Nurple

Well I got transplanted to philly, but we have them to thank for Ryno anyway.

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Not_Done_Living
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not_Done_Living     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
baseball players sleep with each others wives all the time.. when they arnt busy in the shower with each other ;0
Posts: 62 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
-Ryne Sandberg was balling at his Hall of Fame induction when talking
about his second wife, whom he married after divorcing his first wife.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who found this misspelling humorous, given the context.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
talk2sparky
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talk2sparky   Author's Homepage   E-mail talk2sparky       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Not_Done_Living:
baseball players sleep with each others wives all the time..

Except Chuck Knobloch. Nobody wants to sleep with Chuck Knobloch.

Yeah, I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and Chicago native and I've never heard this before. There were other reasons for the trade as the Cubs had to pick between Mark Grace and Palmerio to be their 1st baseman. Not everybody thought Raffy would turn into a slugger. And the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

It COULD be true, but I've never heard it.

--------------------
"If the Internet teaches you anything, it's that there is NOTHING, NOWHERE, that someone isn't frantically masturbating to. " -snopes poster Brandi

Posts: 137 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why am I reminded of the movie Major League, when Ricky Vaughn gets picked up by Roger Dorn's wife after he's sent to the bullpen for the playoff game. Or Ball Four by Jim Bouton, who mentions how two players swapped everything including families at spring training one year.

So is this possible? I'd say yes. Did it happen? I'd say no.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAnnino:
Or Ball Four by Jim Bouton, who mentions how two players swapped everything including families at spring training one year.

Ball Four was published after the 1969 season.

Yankee pitchers Mike Kekich and Fritz Peterson announced they switched lives in 1973. Indeed, they swapped it all -- wives, houses, cars and kids.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-humbug:
quote:
Or Ball Four by Jim Bouton, who mentions how two players swapped everything including families at spring training one year.

Ball Four was published after the 1969 season.

Yankee pitchers Mike Kekich and Fritz Peterson announced they switched lives in 1973. Indeed, they swapped it all -- wives, houses, cars and kids.

Pogue

Did Biouton write a later book that featured that story, 'casue I swear he's the source.

Or maybe I'm confused. [Confused]

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Did Biouton write a later book that featured that story, 'casue I swear he's the source.

Or maybe I'm confused. [Confused]

Time Magazine article from March 1973 - whether Bouton later wrote about it or not, it didn't first become public knowledge through a book.
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, I remember reading about it in the Daily News. The two couples held a press conference to announce it, IIRC.

But Bouton did update the book (in 2000, I believe), and he may have included the story in it.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never knew of any affairs between players and the wives of teammates, but I heard whispers about some stuff one other teams. I will say I had the opportunity but turned it down. I would guess that players having affairs (or one nighters) with teammates' wives is about as common as that happening in any social circle.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Meka
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meka   E-mail Meka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard a variation on this rumor concerning Eric Lindros and Rod Brindamour when both played for the Philadelphia Flyers. Apparently Eric NFBSKed Rod's wife. Brindamour took steps to defend his honor that resulted in Lindros getting one of his many concussions, and Brindamour was subsequently traded.
Posts: 3 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages