snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Sports » Searching for Baseball's Bigfoot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Searching for Baseball's Bigfoot
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The gyroball is baseball's version of alien life. No one knows if they've seen it. No one knows what it looks like. No one knows much about it. Except there's a small pocket of American fans who graze the Internet champing to see Daisuke Matsuzaka, because they're all convinced that he throws a gyroball and they're all convinced it will revolutionize the sport.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-gyro031306

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah. The alien extra bobble-head.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The video linked in the story didn't work for me. How convenient.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I understand the mechanics properly, it sounds that if you threw a half-dozen of them, your elbow would be destoyed.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understand the mechanics, the rotation, for a right handed pitcher is from left to right.

This is imparted by pulling the hand/arm straight down while rotating the wrist to the first base side so that your palm faces third base.

I pitched while in high school and have coached HS/MS/youth baseball. I agree with Pogue that these mechanics put a great deal of stress on the elbow and shoulder.

While in HS, I threw a pitch with the exact same rotation. I threw it EXACTLY like one would throw a pass in football and achieved decent results.

Does the pitch exist? Sure. Is it new? I doubt it. I guess I should have patented mine back then...maybe there's still time!

-Rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Company
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Company   E-mail Bad Company   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These kind of legends come up in baseball from time to time. The last one I recall was a pitcher that threw 110mph. This was back in the 70's.
Posts: 24 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages