snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Science » Killing trees with copper nails

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Killing trees with copper nails
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.zwire.com/site/tab3.cfm?newsid=16914869

quote:
When it comes to killing trees, arborist Nolan Rundquist says he's seen all manner of techniques. "People try a lot of different things," he says, including poisoning the soil surrounding the roots. It's urban legend that a copper nail driven into the trunk will kill a tree. Of course, Rundquist is reluctant to share too many recipes for arborcide; on the prevention end, it's good to know what to avoid, but why give anyone ideas?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why bother with copper nails when using an axe is so much easier?

- Pseudo "copperrrrrrrr!" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 209 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

Because if one is armed with a pneumatic nail gun loaded with copper nails, one could take down an entire forest in short order (putting aside that the OP stated this wouldn't work) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hypno Toad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

I was advised while working for a property lawyers that the copper nail trick was a practice mainly used by people who wanted to remove a tree that was under a protection order. Nail in a few copper nails - the tree will die and it can be legally removed, while the penalty for chopping down a protected tree was severe.

--------------------
A Freudian slip occurs when you say one thing while thinking amother - Cliff Claven

Formally Random Dan

Posts: 184 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vtsquire
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vtsquire         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
beware though, it doesnt work on palm trees. I tried this back in... oh, 1991 or so. A friend of the family suggested a copper nail, so we did... heh. that tree was a foot taller the next time I looked.
Posts: 65 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If copper killed trees then every tree ever hit with a modern bullet would be dead. Bullets are covered with copper.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used the copper nails thing on an unprotected willow tree in my nan's garden. It took a dozen or so nails hammered at various points. One bullet doesn't pack enough copper. The other sneaky trick is to flip up a section of bark in an unobtrusive place, bore a hole, pack it with copper sulphate then flip the bark back in place.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
I've used the copper nails thing on an unprotected willow tree in my nan's garden. It took a dozen or so nails hammered at various points. One bullet doesn't pack enough copper. The other sneaky trick is to flip up a section of bark in an unobtrusive place, bore a hole, pack it with copper sulphate then flip the bark back in place.

Why? If it's an unprotected tree, why didn't you just cut it down?

Or was this done to kill someone else's tree--someone who did not want it dead?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
liebeslied
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liebeslied     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But is it the copper or the trauma? Would a dozen or so iron nails do the same trick for half the price?

I'm guessing dead trees dry out pretty quickly and dry wood might be easier to cut up. Dead branches break much more easily than green ones. Probably best to do in a dry season, unless your area's prone to brush fires.
Leaving a dead tree around is both a physical and a fire hazard, not to mention an eyesore.

Why would cutting down a protected tree carry a severe penalty, but killing it, not? Just that you're less likely to be caught in the act?

I suppose some people "murder" their neighbors' trees because they're messy or block sunlight. Heck, they even kill each others' pets often enough.

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seattle is hill and there a lot of great views. Seattle also has many parks big and small with trees. This combination leads people trying to kill trees on park land. They do this to improve there view or more likely improve the value of the home. The state should cut or trim those trees in the parks so home owner can the boats on the water, its there job. [fish]

Personaly I would like to the state creat heavy fines for these people damage trees on public property. Fines like a the state taking half the selling price of the property when sold as well as paying for new tree to be planted. Not like they did here in Bellingham a couple of years ago. Some builder cleared some million doller view sites with state park tree blocking view. Since it costing the builder hundered of thousands of dollers not to have the view, they cut the state tree down as well. The cost was like $50K per home in fines. Now if that was half the selling price of the homes when built, do you thing they would cut the trees.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Move along nothing to see in this post.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by liebeslied:

Why would cutting down a protected tree carry a severe penalty, but killing it, not? Just that you're less likely to be caught in the act?

Probibaly the letter of the law, when it was drafted it would state precisely that it was illegal to chop down a protected tree but nothing about hammering nails into it.
Law can be strange like that.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by liebeslied:

Killing it would carry the same penalty as cutting it down. But they have to prove you killed it. If, as the OP states, copper nails won't really kill a tree, how do they prove you killed it by driving nails into it?

They can probably get you for malicious damage, though, which may not carry the same penalty as killing it.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why on earth would anyone want to kill a poor innocent tree in the first place? [Confused]

I'm not joking, here. I'm dead serious. What a waste of life. It seems so cruel.

I'm sorry. I'm weird.

Aura

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
Why on earth would anyone want to kill a poor innocent tree in the first place? [Confused]

I'm not joking, here. I'm dead serious. What a waste of life. It seems so cruel.

I'm sorry. I'm weird.

Aura

Here in Western Washington there is lots of trees and lots of great views if thoses trees were not there. Those views not only are a great to look at but they raise the value of the house. If trees are on you land, no problem with cuting them. When they are on other people land you can try and convince them to cut, but doing your self without permision is a bad thing. If the trees are on state land, they are not going let them be cut just to improve the value of your land. In most cases the trees on state land are also in parks and the people using the parks do not wish to see them dead.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Singing in the Drizzle:
quote:

I'm sorry. I'm weird.

Aura

Here in Western Washington there is lots of trees and lots of great views if thoses trees were not there.
I consider trees as a great view. I consider it wierd to think looking at yucky buildings as a great view.

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:

Why? If it's an unprotected tree, why didn't you just cut it down?

Or was this done to kill someone else's tree--someone who did not want it dead?

Nan lived in a townhouse - only access to the garden was to go through the house (very narrow hallway with several sharp corners and odd steps). These houses are terraces with no side gates and no back gate. There was no way to get a chainsaw or large axe into the garden without making an unacceptable mess (unacceptable to her). Once the tree was dead and dried out, it was easier to dismember using smaller tools, or just pull bits off. It was her tree and there were problems with leaves falling into her small fishpond. Being elderly she couldn't easily rake the leaves out.

I used the same approach when I bark-ringed a problem willow tree (my own tree in my garden). It was so much easier to bring it down once it died and had dried out. This sort of willow is a real pain to cut as it is so moist it fouls the chainsaw (I like chainsaws [Smile] ).

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by MaidenAthene:
quote:
Originally posted by Singing in the Drizzle:
quote:

I'm sorry. I'm weird.

Aura

Here in Western Washington there is lots of trees and lots of great views if thoses trees were not there.
I consider trees as a great view. I consider it wierd to think looking at yucky buildings as a great view.
 -

This is the view from my parents house. If the trees were not topped on the hill you would not see the mountans or the yucky buildings. Yes, the property does extend some 200 feet down the side of the hill. So trimming trees is not a problem.

Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:

Let's see...

Some trees are dangerous (perhaps because they're diseased or growing into electrical wiring or being undercut by land movement) and need to be removed.

Some trees are inhibiting the growth of healthier trees and need to be removed.

Some trees were planted in a bad spot (there's not enough room for them) and need to be removed.

The idea that every tree is sacred doesn't take into account the number of trees nature herself kills and maims every year.

Seaboe

--------------------

geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm sorry. I'm weird.

Aura

So, just out of curiosity, do you eat veggies, or wheat products? Is it less cruel to kill those plants? Do trees get some sort of special status for some reason?
Not trying to be snarky, I am genuinely trying to understand your position.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah...I so regreted posted that after it was done, but I was in an off mood that night.

Yes, I do eat veggies, and I eat animals. Eating is a part of life. Everything consumes something in one way or the other. No, trees don't get special status. I just dislike killing in general, for no reason. If there is a good reason (like feeding yourself), then do so.

Chopping down a tree, just to see some mountains...To me, it's a sad waste of life. Just like I can't bring myself to swat a mosquito. Hey, it's just a poor, working mother, trying to feed her babies! [Razz]

I guess the best way to explain my (I'll be the first to admit my ideas are kooky) weirdo logic is that I consider all life on equal footing. A head of lettuce is no more or less sacred and worthy of living than a deer, a mushroom, or the bacteria on your butt.

I don't like it when people assign value to a living thing (I'm not accusing anyone here!). Who are we to pass judgement on what lives and what dies? We are just animals ourselves, albeit sapient.

Of course, special provisions should be made to preserve life that is endangered. And I'm going to be hypocritical and say that I do value human life a great deal more than the life of any other thing. If killing a tree is going to help save people, do it. If we need wood to build houses, get an axe.

I would never criticize someone for chopping a tree down on their own property, or stepping on a spider (that is not poisonous), or salting a slug (that is not eating your garden) for that matter. But, to me, it's just as senseless and cruel as stepping on a baby bunny. [Frown]

Hopefully this made even a smidge of sense to anyone. I'm in the process of moving, my roommate's illegal subtances are giving me a headache, and I'm on a major caffeine buzz. If not, just ask and I'll be happy to clarify further.

Like I said in my first post: Sorry. I'm weird!

I would never criticize someone else's choices about these things, so please no one be too harsh about judging mine!

Aura

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend C**** used to live in N** M*****. She had an easement to use the neighbor's drive to get to her propery, which was fine, until the neighbors sold to a crotchety old man and woman who were informed of the easement, but who decided that they didn't like her using their driveway (which was really a short road, with 4 houses on it because the original propery owner had built and then sold the other 3 houses) so they went to court to try to get the easement vacated. When the case was dismissed with out even a hearing, the next day these folks planted several trees to the one side and right across from her drive way, making it (purposely) very hard for her to get her large truck, and especially her large truck with a horse trailer, in and out of her drive...

Anyways, she was the first person to tell me about copper nails.

Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages