snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Science » Hairy Hairdressers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hairy Hairdressers
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've tried googling for this, but can't find anything (dunno what exactly to search for!)

I've been told of this for years, about hairdressers/barbers. Apparantly when they cut people's hair, sometimes a bit of cut hair will fall down and imbed itself in the hairdresser's foot (if they are wearing sandals etc), and will then begin to regrow in the hairdresser's skin.

It sounds a bit UL to me, because the hair that's being cut is already dead and has no root does it? On the other hand, is it possible that hair with its root still attached could fall down and regrow? My MIL used to be a hairdresser and she says it's true. What do snopesters think?

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote total fiction. It really doesn't even make sense.

Assuming it's even possible, the hairdresser would have to not be wearing socks or hose of any kind and would have to not take the shoes off or shower for quite a while to let the hair take root. There would also be the problem of compatibility since, I would think, the root would have different DNA than the hairdresser and her/his body wouldn't be likely to approve of that.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bethntim
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bethntim         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If OSHA guidelines are followed, no open toe shoes can be worn at all at work, no sandals or anything like that. It poses a danger if something should fall on their feet. If your MIL says it's true, does she have hair growing out of her?

--------------------
Take only pictures, leave only footprints...

Posts: 255 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, my mom's hairdresser told me not to take my shoes off in the salon because a hair could get embedded in my foot and it would be painful. She called it an "ingrown hair", but she didn't actually say, or imply, that it would start growing again, just that it would get stuck in the skin of my foot, kind of like a splinter. That makes more sense to me.

Or maybe she just didn't want some kid running around her salon barefoot.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But an ingrown hair is something else entirely. Painful as hell, but different. As I understand them, you get an ingrown hair when a hair that's already on your body can't break the surface of the skin for some reason and forms a sortof blister underneath the surface to grow in. There's no way an outside hair would stick into your foot like a splinter.
I cut DH's hair barefoot all the time, sometimes I'm standing in the hair (showers all around afterward) and this has never happened.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lynne Tyson
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne Tyson   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lynne Tyson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A hair CAN become embedded in your skin much like a splinter. No, it won`t grow just pull it out with a pair of tweezers.
Posts: 1 | From: San Carlos, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hairs can get stuck in the skin, much like the thin copper wires from cables can. Hair is pretty soft, so it's not common, but it can happen. It has happened twice to me (although once was after shaving a seven day beard, and those pesky hairs are nasty). The other time I think it was a dog hair. Hurts a bit, but not worse than anything else you get in the foot.

I think it just need the tip (probably freshly cut, as this could give a sharper end) to stick somewhere, then the normal movements of the foot will slowly make it work itself in. It will not start to grow, but can probably cause an infection.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is not fiction at all. My son has his own salon and does not allow open toe footwear. It's not just the feet that are a problem either. My daughter works for him and a couple of years ago a hair worked it's way into her hand between her index and middle finger and caused a nasty infction that took ages to clear.

She has also had problems with hair working it's way through her clothes. On one occasion a hair got imbedded in her nipple and we had a bit of a pantomime getting it out as every time she tried her nipple did what what nipples do when fiddled with and made getting hold of it nigh on imppossible. In the end she had to stretch the skin as best she could while I set to with the tweezers. Not an easy task as we both kept collapsing with laughter or she'd leap back yelping. Now there's an image to put you all off your dinner !!!

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hair can only grow if there is a follicle... and at no salon that I know of will a stylist cut you THAT close.

Now... that said, I have heard from stylists that some people have hair so coarse that it will stick in their skin like a splinter and they will have to get it out (spanked by Lynne and others), but no way will it grow.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I should qualify my post. Hair does get into the skin and, as I said, it can cause a nasty infection but it definately doesn't grow.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a very easy way to definately prove this wrong once and for all:

If it were that easy, don't you think it would be sold as a miracle cure against baldness? Considering all the money people spend on such crap, it would be inevitable if it worked.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a fair point. I guess that's where the UL comes from. Maybe that's even what my MIL meant, that hair can get stuck in your skin, not actually regrow in it.

However: humans are supposed to lose hundreds of hairs a day... do these still contain the follicle? Is there a chance that this could enter your skin and grow? And being a hairdresser would mean you would be exposed to lots of falling hair every day, thus more chance of it happening to you?

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phaedra:
On one occasion a hair got imbedded in her nipple and we had a bit of a pantomime getting it out as every time she tried her nipple did what what nipples do when fiddled with and made getting hold of it nigh on imppossible. In the end she had to stretch the skin as best she could while I set to with the tweezers. Not an easy task as we both kept collapsing with laughter or she'd leap back yelping. Now there's an image to put you all off your dinner !!!

Would that hurt at all? Just thinking about it is making me feel all squemish...

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey:
That's a fair point. I guess that's where the UL comes from. Maybe that's even what my MIL meant, that hair can get stuck in your skin, not actually regrow in it.

Could be. My mom's hairdresser definitely said, "ingrown hair," but it was clear to me, even as a child, that she was really talking about a splinter-like condition.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JetEd73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JetEd73   E-mail JetEd73   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Girlfriend is a hair cutter and I have pulled many a dead hair from under her skin. They do not regrow but it can become infected.

--------------------
America=Land of the perpetually offended!

Posts: 223 | From: Cleveland, TN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phaedra:
It is not fiction at all. My son has his own salon and does not allow open toe footwear. It's not just the feet that are a problem either. My daughter works for him and a couple of years ago a hair worked it's way into her hand between her index and middle finger and caused a nasty infction that took ages to clear.

The same thing happened to a barber I used to frequent, and he since had the habit of wearing clear medical tape between those fingers. It wasn't too noticeable until you looked closely, either. Wonder if the same thing would help prevent further infections with your daughter?

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

You ask if that would hurt Tarquin...yes it hurts like hell... my daughter still winces at the thought of the nipple incident.
Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I'm going to be more careful.
I always emerge from the hair salon with hair in my bra - and I always just shook it out and kept wearing it - but I'm going to change now.
I do NOT want hair in my nipples.
The OP must be an UL though - how many hairdressers do you see with multicoloured foot hair?

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Thanks Bassist. I'll pass that tip on to the staff in the salon. [Smile]
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey:
However: humans are supposed to lose hundreds of hairs a day... do these still contain the follicle?

Hair follicles are found within the skin and are defined early in development by cell migration outwards from the neural tube.* (Presumably some remain dormant longer, this isn't an area I've covered much.)

The follicle then undergoes a cycle of growth, regression and resting, which determines a hair's potential length. The length of this cycle varies both across the body, and from person to person. During regression the follicle itself remains within the scalp, it is not lost with the hair. Similarly pulling hairs out is most likely to detatch the hair, and possibly damage the base of the follicle, however unless the source of stem cells are removed the follice will most likely recover.

And here are a few references, although both are fairly orientated to scientists. If they disagree with me they, especialy the second, are probably correct:
http://www.mcw.edu/display/router.asp?docid=11363
http://tinyurl.com/7k9fx

ETA: * The neural tube is the early developmental form of the spinal cord.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In agreement with James G... the thing that falls out with a hair is called a "tag." It is not the follicle. That stays in the scalp. If the follicle came out with all of the hundreds of hairs that fall out, we would all be bald in a few years.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages