snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Science » Blood inside your body is blue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood inside your body is blue
Gezal
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Gezal   E-mail Gezal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a little kid I remember hearing that the blood inside your body is blue and it turns red the instant that it comes in contact with air. I just heard this one again the other day. Kids think that this is true because of the blueish color of visible veins but drawing blood for a test at the hospital shows that this is not true.

Does anyone know the origin of this one?

Posts: 30 | From: Missoula, Montana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's both. Blood carrying oxygen is red. Blood carrying CO2 is blue.

Blood in arteries is red, blood in veins is blue. If the blood carrying the CO2 is exposed to air it gives up its CO2 and picks up O2 so it will apprear red.

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our blood is red and blue, our bruises are yellow and green and sometimes orange and purple. It's 'case we are all made of rainbows...

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] BeachLife. But don't rainbows make you catch teh gay?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aegis
Umm... yeah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aegis   E-mail Aegis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Possible origin (I believed this as a child as well):

Many biology books draw veins in blue and arteries in red. Veins (blue) carry blood from capillaries back towards the heart and would be relatively devoid of oxygen. Arteries (red) carry freshly oxygenated (by way of the lungs) blood from the heart outward.

I could easily imagine a child asking the question in class as to why the red and blue, and a teacher explaining the difference between arteries and veins but failing to point out that the red and blue could easily have been green and purple or any other contrasting pair.

It's easy to look at your arm and see blue and think, "Gee... that must be a vein... and I just can't see the arteries because they are deeper.."

Posts: 7 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aegis
Umm... yeah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aegis   E-mail Aegis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eif:
It's both. Blood carrying oxygen is red. Blood carrying CO2 is blue.

Blood in arteries is red, blood in veins is blue. If the blood carrying the CO2 is exposed to air it gives up its CO2 and picks up O2 so it will apprear red.

If this were true, why is drawn venous blood red?

The syringe is a vacuum and would offer very little oxygen to facilitate such a dramatic change in color. At minimum, the blood would likely change before your eyes during the process.

The fact is that venous blood is a dark red and arterial blood is a brighter red. Blood is at no time ever blue.

Posts: 7 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Blood is at no time ever blue.
Except of course if oyu buy into the royalty myth, or if you have been munching candy stuffed with methylene blue (a fun chemical for pranks that sadly has become much to difficult to get your hands on).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Blood without oxygen isn't blue but it is a deeper color (purple?) than when it has oxygen. Apparently the bluish color of veins comes from the lining. (No confirming source on this yet.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
halibut
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for halibut   E-mail halibut   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vulcan blood is green

Sorry. [fish]

Posts: 216 | From: Lincoln, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by halibut:
Vulcan blood is green

Sorry. [fish]

No, no, that's a common misconception. That's only when it's exposed to the atmosphere on Vulcan. If Spok were to bleed all over San Diego, he'd be your typical red blooded american, minus the ears and the citizenship of course.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, heard that veins are blue because of the tissue surrounding them. The blood in them is definitely a dark red.
Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, it was something to do with your skin blocking certain colours in the light spectrum, distorting the colour of veins, ie blue light goes through, red light doesn't.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Like most issues dealing with color, it's a little complicated but here's an explanation:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/blueblud.html

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages