snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Science » Brewing Marijuana

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brewing Marijuana
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 202 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine asked me if it was dangerous to brew pot like coffee. Her though was to mix 1 part groung weed with 2 parts coffee.

I suspect that the would make you high because people ingest it in brownies, so I would assume the its it possible, the real question is whether it could pobbily be dangerous.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dangerous in what sense? Dangerous like the coffee pot would explode or something?? [Confused]

I remember back to my pot smoking days, I had friends that would brew it like hot tea and drink it to get a buzz. :::shrug:::

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Remarkgullabull Loves LTCC:
Dangerous in what sense? Dangerous like the coffee pot would explode or something?? [Confused]

I remember back to my pot smoking days, I had friends that would brew it like hot tea and drink it to get a buzz. :::shrug:::

Her concern was accidental poisoning or overdose.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It [i]should[/i place the person in danger of getting smacked in the head for wasting some perfectly good weed.

Eating or drinking marijuana is not the chosen method of gettin buzz-for-your-buck. Not that I would know until December of 2009.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 207 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How strongly can you concentrate THC? The molecule is pretty tough, isn't it? If it isn't entirely destroyed by burning? (Chemistry is *not* my strong suit!)

Nicotine is known to be *very* poisonous, and you could easily take a couple of pounds of tobacco and distill out a lethal dose of the stuff. What about THC?

Has THC been synthesized? Is it easy to do in the home lab? What if you popped pills of it in concentrated form? Do you get "more high," or just sick?

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vivling
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vivling     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have smoked pure THC crystals before (scraped from a bong). It didn't kill me, but it messed me up for two days. It was a very intense, uncomfortable high and not something I'd do again.

Marinol is a prescription drug that contains THC. The side effects don't list a prevalence of nausea or illness. Anecdotally, I've heard that marinol can cause nausea, vertigo and generally unpleasant side effects that one doesn't usually experience when smoking marijuana.

--------------------
Climb up, over the the top
Shake it, take control
You've got to find out for yourself whether or not you're truly trying
--Jason Mraz

Posts: 1686 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
It [i]should[/i place the person in danger of getting smacked in the head for wasting some perfectly good weed.

Eating or drinking marijuana is not the chosen method of gettin buzz-for-your-buck. Not that I would know until December of 2009.

- P

From personal experience, it's much longer lasting than smoking it, although it takes far longer to take effect.
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
How strongly can you concentrate THC? The molecule is pretty tough, isn't it? If it isn't entirely destroyed by burning? (Chemistry is *not* my strong suit!)

THC contains ringed and aromatic structure, which gives it very strong resistance to oxidation or combustion. It's solid at room temperature and vaporizes at about 200 C. The burning of the plant material (cellulose?) heats the THC enough to vaporize it, but not enough to combust more than a fraction of it.

The fact ringed compounds can survive very high temperatures is why burning plastics and other materials is so bad, and why benzenes, PCBs, dioxins, and other polyaromatic compounds are such a big health hazard.

quote:
Nicotine is known to be *very* poisonous, and you could easily take a couple of pounds of tobacco and distill out a lethal dose of the stuff. What about THC?
LD50 is about 500 mg/kg oral; I don't see any inhalation numbers I trust. I would say THC is either nontoxic or just barely toxic by the standard meaning of the term. Even if you collected a large amount of it, it probably wouldn't kill you. However, THC is also a mutagen and may cause significant health problems if administered in very high dosages.

quote:
Has THC been synthesized? Is it easy to do in the home lab?
As far as pharmaceuticals go, it's not a very complex molecule, but it is a chiral compound (meaning it has a right-handed and left-handed version) and often makes synthesis and/or purification difficult.

I think the two complementary forms are delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (right-handed) and gamma-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (left-handed), the latter of which has zero biological effect. Try to make THC with pure chemicals and you end up with a mix of the two. I think most pharmaceuticals are like this.

Basic cannabinols are not difficult to synthesize, but I don't know of anyone who's made delta-9-THC, since there's not much need for it. There's no conceivable way that synthesis would ever be easier than just growing the stuff and extracting it.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brew it in tea, much better in my opinion. Use about a gram of good hashish per person (you can use weed too, but hash is tastier) and prepare it by warming milk and stirring in the finely crumbled resin, and make tea or indeed coffee with this milky dope - the fats in the milk help release the cannibols and after about half an hour you'll be pleasantly boxed.

Remember, always use THC responsibly [Big Grin]

As for concentration, I've smoked filtered buds at a strength of 95% pure THC - never again [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeez, what good is a government if it doesn't even tell you this kind of vital information?
Or maybe it's just my country, I'm not sure [Smile]

From the site of the Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and addiction:

Addictive: Not physically, can be psychologically addictive when used intensively.

Dose insensititivity: No

Short Term Effects: relaxing, intensivation of emotions, loss of concentration and reflexes. Changes sensitory perception. Higher doses may cause fear, panic and loss of consciousness.

Long Term Effects: damage to respiratory organs and cancer of the lungs (when smoking).

Important: increases the influence of alcohol if used in combination. Eating results in an increased risk of overdose.

The Jellinek Institue isn't part of the government, but gets all its money there anyway, has a lot more advice, but unfortunately, most of it is in Dutch only. Strong believers in neutral information to a man, this is what they have to say: Link

Most of the information focuses on either smoking or eating the stuff. If you must make a drink, then I would recommend you don't make tea or coffee. THC doesn't dissolve in water easily. Use something with fat in it, like milk. Heat the milk (don't boil it, it'll make the taste even worse). Put your dope in it, let it stand for half an hour. Put in any chocolate powder, sugar, aniseed or whatever you may like to improve the taste. The point made by the two bodies cited in this post about eating marijhuana still stands: easy on the dosage. It'll hit harder, and you can't just put the joint down when you feel it's too much.

Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Finite Fourier Alchemy:
quote:
Has THC been synthesized? Is it easy to do in the home lab?
As far as pharmaceuticals go, it's not a very complex molecule, but it is a chiral compound (meaning it has a right-handed and left-handed version) and often makes synthesis and/or purification difficult.

Basic cannabinols are not difficult to synthesize, but I don't know of anyone who's made delta-9-THC, since there's not much need for it. There's no conceivable way that synthesis would ever be easier than just growing the stuff and extracting it. [/QB]

Also, when considering Marijuana both as a recreational drug or a medicine (more news on that today - it's still embargoed right now.
The Wikipedia entry should keep everyone interested until then), the plant seems to do much better than chemicals.
There is a big problem with producing cannabis for medical purposes: you have to prevent people from breaking in and stealing your crop. Even growers of fiber-hemp -which has almost no THC in it- complain about youngsters cutting down their female plants in order to smoke blank buds.
But the point is that a weed bud contains a great many types of compounds, only one of which is D9-THC, and this combination works better than the stuff on its own.

Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Most of the information focuses on either smoking or eating the stuff. If you must make a drink, then I would recommend you don't make tea or coffee. THC doesn't dissolve in water easily. Use something with fat in it, like milk.
...or perhaps make tea or coffee with the milk prepared in this way? oh I already suggested that [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can also brew it in beer. I've never tried it, but somewhere I have a 30-year old dope recipe book that tells you how.
Now if I could remember where I put it.....

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
As for concentration, I've smoked filtered buds at a strength of 95% pure THC - never again [lol]

Would you mind me asking why? What does that mean, and what happens?

Ana

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Basically, the Dutch filter buds of very strong grass until all that's left is a vivid green putty which a woman called Petra called 'Royal Green p95 - she said the 95 referred to the putty's thc percentage. We bought some because we were stupid, cocksure young students who thought they knew eveything there was to know about cannabis.

An American software engineer saw us gloating over our prize and he told us that he'd been in Amsterdam for 20 years and he smoked every single day, and that Royal green but him on his ass within a minute. Pft! says us.

We smoked it by 'wiping' the putty across a paper and rolling a cigarette - it was nice for about 3 minutes before we realised that the high was gonna keep on coming - it wouldn't have been so bad but for the fact hat we were tramping a rather busy city, as it was we stumbled about for hours out of our tree wondering if we'd ever come down - sweet tea and a lie down did the trick, but I wouldn't recommend it - too much THC is a bad thing for any brain [Wink]

--------------------

Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
...we stumbled about for hours out of our tree wondering if we'd ever come down - sweet tea and a lie down did the trick, but I wouldn't recommend it - too much THC is a bad thing for any brain [Wink]

I'm afraid that I don't believe you, and I'm going to have to see for myself.

Ana

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Repairman Jack
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Repairman Jack   Author's Homepage   E-mail Repairman Jack   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ive taken pot butter and overdosed...and literally hallucinated on it. and yeah, i was more wasted than was any fun to be for about 3 days. a hit or a beer would just knock me out, and coffee made me grumpy but still too wasted to move [Roll Eyes] ...i doint know about 95% THC..sounds like a bit of marketing hype, but i surely know it can be so strong that this story is not out of bounds...

1) i know for a fact (personal expermentation with a book on making hashish from pot) that NONE of the water soluble compounds in weed will catch you any buzz whatsoever. Otherwise bongwater would be saved to guzzle on a rainy day...

2)the effective compounds in pot ARE effectively oil soluble, so the best way i ever found to extract them for ingestion orally as opposed to smoking is to put your bud in a crock pot in water for about 2 hours on med high, then strain it out through muslin or cheese cloth, and put the bud back new water with about 1 stick of sweet butter per 2 oz of good bud. let it sit for another 3 or 4 hours, then strain out the bud again. toss this bud, its now hay as far as a buzz goes. put the buttery water in the fridge for 24 hours minimum to really solidify the butterfats and then gently remove from the cold water as a lump.

this can be frozen or cooked with....in the freezer it remains good for 3 to 6 months, longer if u "clarify" the butter. *cook books show how to do this, not too hard*

cooked into a fairly strong flavored dish like brownies or into a spicy alfredo sauce, the pot flavor is usually undetectable...but dosing someone is evil and u will get hated for it...the buzz lasts too long and ppl end up having to skip work or go in wasted...bad bad bad

but for taking a cross country trip, a batch of sugar cookies or a tin of chex mix is lots less likely to catch the cop's eye than a bag of leafy green stuff. [Big Grin]

anyway....theres my first two cents worth. ive been lurking here for years;hoppy gnu year all..

repairman jack

Posts: 59 | From: Amarillo, Texas | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages