snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Science » More people alive than have ever died?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More people alive than have ever died?
halibut
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for halibut   E-mail halibut   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember hearing about a year ago that there are more people alive in the world today (or a year ago) than have ever died.

Surely this is rubbish, but is so bizarre it may have an element of truth.

Is there any truth to this?

Posts: 216 | From: Lincoln, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems not to be true...only about 5.8% of all people ever alive. But everyone repeats the myth.

My source: Population Reference Bureau

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And another analysis,

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/dead.htm

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, ok, there's that...I just happen to have worked with the demographer I cite.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
uncle jam

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They taught this myth as fact at my primary school. I think I've had to unlearn more things from there than anything else. Public Schools [Roll Eyes]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uncle jam:
They taught this myth as fact at my primary school. I think I've had to unlearn more things from there than anything else. Public Schools [Roll Eyes]

Grin! I know how ya feel! The best "education" I got at my high school was from the library.

Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 starts out with a quote to the effect that behind everyone alive there are thirty ghosts. I always wondered how that could be, until I learned that "humanity" is considered to be only 100,000 years old. If you use a 20 year "generation," that's only 5,000 generations, which doesn't sound like a whole lot...

If you can graph the population curve, then you can perform a rough "integral" on the area beneath the curve. Instead of the standard dx, you just divide by the average lifespan of an individual.

(This relationship is also useful in population rate estimates. For instance, if there are six billion of us, and our average lifespan is, say, 65 years, that means that 6bn/65 = 92.3 million people born per year, and also 92.3 million dying per year -- which would be true if population were not growing or shrinking. The relationship works for stable populations. BTW, that's roughly three persons per second...)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uncle jam:

Hey, I went to Warren Cousino -- perhaps we mislearned things from the same teachers. [Smile]

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
uncle jam

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Walker [Razz]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read in a reputable magazine (Current Archaeology, Fortean Times or BBC History perhaps) that out of every thirty people who have ever lived then twenty-nine are dead. This makes it about 3% of all people are still alive, similar to the second post in this thread and very close to the Arthur C. Clarke idea that Silas mentions.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of this, of course, depends on how you define the word "people". Is there some reason that we should accept the age of 100,000 years for this question?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
Some of this, of course, depends on how you define the word "people". Is there some reason that we should accept the age of 100,000 years for this question?

Well, human evolution has been gradual, but by the standard notions, "H. sap" is about that old. The fossil record is pretty good for this.

We could quibble over some of the pre-human species, H. erectus, H. habilis, H. austrolpithecus. However, in fact, the population numbers for these guys was so low that you can extend the calculations backwards to 1,000,000 years and not actually change the totals much.

900,000 years times, say, a population around 5,000, divided by a lifespan of 25 years, gives a cumulative total of 180 million...or about 1/30 of the population today. i.e., irrelevant!

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
[qb] ...the population numbers for these guys was so low that you can extend the calculations backwards to 1,000,000 years and not actually change the totals much...

Yeah, that's why I said "some of this". But it could change the total dead by at least 20-30%.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
[qb] ...the population numbers for these guys was so low that you can extend the calculations backwards to 1,000,000 years and not actually change the totals much...

Yeah, that's why I said "some of this". But it could change the total dead by at least 20-30%.
How'd'ya figure? If (*IF*) it is true that behind each person living there are thirty ghosts, then an additional 180 million above this 180 billion is only an increase of 1/10 of one per cent.

(If the total is smaller, then the percentage increase is, of course, larger, but for it to be 20%, then the original sum would have been only 9 billion, or only one and one half ghosts per living person today.)

Silas ("There's room for one more!")

Ganzfeld

I find it hard to accept the population of 5,000 as anything but a minimum for all individuals of homo species. But even if it is 100 times that, it doesn't add up to my "20%" does it. So you're probably right, Silas.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages