snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Computers » Things You Never Knew Your Mobile Phone Could Do

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Things You Never Knew Your Mobile Phone Could Do
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW YOUR MOBILE COULD DO

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for

survival. Check out the things that you can do with it: -

*EMERGENCY*

*I*

* The Emergency Number worldwide for **Mobile** is 112 .* If you find

yourself out of coverage area of your mobile network and there is an

emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to

establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112

can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. **Try it out.**

*II*

* Subject: Have you locked your keys in the car? Does your car have remote keys?*

This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone:

If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call

someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person

at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on

their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your

keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away,

and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you

can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: *It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"*

*III*

Subject: Hidden Battery power

Imagine your cell battery is very low, you are expecting an important call

and you don't have a charger. Nokia instrument comes with a reserve

battery. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your cell will restart with

this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This

reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

AND

*IV*

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone:

* # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your

handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. when your phone get

stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They

will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the

SIM card, your phone will be totally useless.

You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either.

If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

I received the above e-mail recently. I already knew about 112 being the emergency number, and about accessing the 15 digit phone serial number. I had heard there was reserve battery power on phones, but I've got a Motorola so don't know the code to (potentialy) access it.

The one I really can't get over is the 'spare keys can unlock your car over the phone' bit. We tried it with my dad's car, and nothing happened. How would it work? Do the keys emit a high frequency sound, and this sound is captured and transmitted over the mobile phone?

Come on snopesters, go and give yours a go and post the results here! Let's confirm or debunk this claim!

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saint Gryphon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint Gryphon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Cell-phone-unlocking-car-chow

--------------------
Defender of dragons and slayer of fair maidens

Posts: 83 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Two parts of the mail are mentioned here and here (well, that second one's a variant - what your mail says about 112 is correct, but it would also work for your local emergency number).

I thought the car key part was mentioned on the main site too, but I can't see it now.

(edit) D'oh! Spanked - how did you find that, Saint Gryphon?

That just leaves the battery part, which sounds rather unlikely given the premium on battery space and life in phones in the first place. And if any phones do have this feature, it'll surely be advertised in the phone's specs and manual rather than as a random email!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saint Gryphon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint Gryphon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My crazy usless memory. Just checked under the car section of the main site.

--------------------
Defender of dragons and slayer of fair maidens

Posts: 83 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
* The Emergency Number worldwide for **Mobile** is 112 .* (snip) **Try it out.**
No. Don't try it out. The last thing the emergency staff needs is hordes of people checking if the number is still working.

It works. You don't need to try it.

quote:
* Subject: Have you locked your keys in the car? Does your car have remote keys?*
Bullshit. Keys use radio signals or sometimes IR light. The phone transmits sound, not radiosignals (apart from the signals it transforms the sound into) or light.

quote:
Subject: Hidden Battery power
Don't know if this is true, but if it is, it's probably a service diagnostics thing. Most phones today use LiPo batteries, and you do not want to discharge them under a certain voltage, as that permanently destroys them.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I thought this was going to be a chow of this post.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just heard on NPR about a company that sells a service for mobile phone users whose phones have GPS technology. Supposedly they can find where ANYONE with a similar phone is (or at least where the person's phone is) at any given time.

Only hitch is that just one service provider allows the software to be used on its phones.

Brad "thanks for calling to say you'll be working late, but when did you start work at the Pink Pussycat Club, honey?" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ds_40
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ds_40   E-mail ds_40   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
* The Emergency Number worldwide for **Mobile** is 112 .* (snip) **Try it out.**
No. Don't try it out. The last thing the emergency staff needs is hordes of people checking if the number is still working.

It works. You don't need to try it.

I tried it, my phone asks if I'm sure I want to call SOS. I just cancelled it, so I'm not positive if it would've gone to 911 or how fast. But now I know a useless feature [Smile]

--------------------
àðé ãåã äîìê

Posts: 26 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I knew about the serial number, but why not just put a PIN code on your phone? if the phone company blocks the SIM, the theif would have to turn it off to put another SIM in, and on turning it on would be asked for the PIN.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The PIN is for your SIM card, not your phone (at least it is on every mobile phone I've ever used). If you put a new SIM in, the PIN will change to the new SIM's PIN (or will disappear if the SIM has no PIN).

Another one I've found:

quote:
TOTAL SOFTWARE RESET
The T630 of a friend of mine had a total shut down. Software was locked and he couldn’t do anything about it. He told me a friend of him gave him the advice to put the phone in the refrigerator for a while, this would reset the software to point zero (all numbers, photo’s etc. are erased). This “friend” give his advise on the notion of:“ if you have a stolen car-radio putting it in the refrigerator will reset the software”. And guess what, it actually worked. The T630 software had a total reset and the phone is now functional again.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages