snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Computers » Bill Gates' house designed on a Mac

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bill Gates' house designed on a Mac
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 603 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Was Bill Gates' house designed on a Macintosh computer?

http://www.architosh.com/news/1999-07/0730-gateshousemac.phtml

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[/quote]he project, we are told, was drawn entirely by hand -- and anyone who has seen this amazingly beautiful project can understand why. The garage part, however, was apparently modeled in ModelShop by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson staff architects working on the project[/quote]

Since most of the archetecture was done by hand, I would say that you cannot say that it was 'designed on a macintosh computer" only one part was and I doubt its use was up to Gates at all.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having studied architecture and 15 year drafting on the board and with computers. I can say that the beauty of a design has nothing to do with it being drawn by hand or using a computer. It also make no differents as to the type of computer. Most drawing wether architechual or other are pertty much the same if drawn using computer or hand. Yes in the mechanical world some parts are definded by dataset.

Anyways, if a person is look for someone to design a building. They are not going to worry to much on the computer being used. They are going to look at the reputation, previous designs and cost of the architectal firm. With Bill I think cost was not a consideration.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe this sounds stupid, but what if he simply wanted the designs hand-drawn for privacy and security reasons? If they were computer-based, they could easily slip onto the internet and such.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
Maybe this sounds stupid, but what if he simply wanted the designs hand-drawn for privacy and security reasons? If they were computer-based, they could easily slip onto the internet and such.

There is no reason for the computers with the CADD software to have internet access or even have a conecton to it. Hand drawings can be copied and are. They can also be scanned and sent over the internet.

Anyway when constructing a house or any building for that matter. Many copies of the architecture design are made and given to the various contracters to build the house. Some may get more complete drawing than other, but all drawing show at least walls, doors and windows. A structural drawing will show how the walls, ceiling and roof is biuld. The electical drawing will show all the walls and where the outlets, switch, lights and other electical devices will go.

The privacy is in who is having the house built, not the design. Thou there is always some control over the sho gets to see the drawing whether privacy is a issue or not (you do not competitors coping or making simmilar disigns easly).

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is pretty unlikely that Gates used a Mac. The architect that finalized the drawings and did the engineering for permit review may well have.

The thing I always thought was funny was he built a gigantic house with three bedrooms (IIRC). When he got married and had a kid, he had to renovate the house to add more bedrooms.

Wait a minute, that sounds a lot like some of the sortware MS produces!!!1!

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
think it is pretty unlikely that Gates used a Mac.
I don't believe that anybody was asserting that. It was the designers that used a mac.

I stiill said big deal. A major firm isht going to change their entire platform across the board for one customer, even if he knew what they were using.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

If I design a house by hand or use a compter using any operating system. The drawing that are created all look just about the same. The only real diffents between hand and computer is that the text is neater and the arrow heads are all the same size. If the drawing were different you would have to train the builder in how to read the drawing from the different systems.
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
I stiill said big deal. A major firm isht going to change their entire platform across the board for one customer, even if he knew what they were using.

I agree. But I think it's doubtful that they did it "by hand". They may not have changed platforms but they certainly don't want to advertise for a customer's rival. (Not that Microsoft and Apple are excatly rivals but that's a different subject.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:

I agree. But I think it's doubtful that they did it "by hand". They may not have changed platforms but they certainly don't want to advertise for a customer's rival. (Not that Microsoft and Apple are excatly rivals but that's a different subject.)
I never asserted they did it entirely by hand or even think that they even should have.... My point was that even if it was a problem, an archetectual firm isnt going to make drastic changes to its platform of choice accross the board due to one client.

That would be the case even if Bill gates knew... which we dont know if he did or not. It also depends if Bill Gates cared, which I would think not, no doubt he works with people who uses macs. Its also dependant if Macs were used in the first place - a fact which cannot be fully established. The OP artical can only claim that Gates' garage could have been designed on a cmac. Maybe 15 percent at most (and that would be one large garage.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're right, diddy. I don't think he really cares. The whole Mac-PC rivalry is more of a creation of their fans than the companies. They are both very competitive companies, as everyone knows, but they've also contributed a lot to each other's business, especially in the last few years.

It was funny to me when everyone gasped that Apple would put the Windows OS on their machines, as if they were above that. Well, what's the big deal; both companies already make software for the other platform.

But, anyway, I'm sure Gates has a lot of people he does business with who use Macs and he most certainly has friends who do. (He might even have a few himself. He does like technology.)

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy101:
The thing I always thought was funny was he built a gigantic house with three bedrooms (IIRC). When he got married and had a kid, he had to renovate the house to add more bedrooms.

Wait a minute, that sounds a lot like some of the sortware MS produces!!!1!

Better than if it had been built on a MAC at the time. If it had, it'd only have one door (you don't need more, really!), you couldn't install any of the most common appliances in it nor use it for the most common tasks unless everything was bought from Apple, it'd cost twice as much to build and he'd be unable to renovate it-- he'd have had to get a brand new house instead. And, of course, back then a MAC couldn't even design anything with Windows.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from the nice parallels: You do know, that there were Windows on Apples before MS programmed them?

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I'm concerned the whole Windows graphic interface concept is nothing than a Mac emulator anyway.

C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN

C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\RUN
C:\PC\CRAWL

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't even see why Windows users bother arguing with Mac users.

Afterall, billions more Windows users can't be wrong! [Big Grin]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages