snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Politics » Oil tanker named "Condoleeza Rice"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oil tanker named "Condoleeza Rice"
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: There is a claim that an oil tanker was once called the
"Condoleeza Rice." Opponents of the Iraq war suggest this is a
not-so-subtle link between big government and its relationship with oil
companies.

Several obviously doctored photos have shown up on the Internet, but there
is one example that appears to be authentic (the photo contains an ABC
logo at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen).

What is the origin of the "Condeleeza Rice"? Was there ever an oil tanker
so named?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello,

I find her here on a list (without picture):

http://www.usmm.org/socalships.html

And here's an article from the San Francisco Chronicle (also without pic alas)- apparently, Chevron renamed the tanker "Altair Voyager":

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2001/05/05/MN223743.DTL

Unfortunately, all available pics are awfully photoshopped, the only one looking genuine at first sight - the one you mention with the ABC logo - including a revealing typo ("Condoleezza" with two Z's):

http://glennz.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/tanker.jpg

So, the story must be true, but photografic evidence seems to be hard to find.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Condoleeza Rice used to be a Chevron Corp. Director

In 1993 Chevron named a 129,915 tonnage oil tanker after her (scroll down).

In 2001, this was publicly criticised.
quote:
A Chevron spokeswoman said yesterday that the oil giant has no intention of renaming the Condoleezza Rice and noted that board member Carla Hills also had a Chevron tanker named in her honor before she was appointed former President George Bush's trade secretary -- and the vessel has kept the name.

"It's part of a long-standing practice of naming (tankers) after members of the board of directors," a company spokeswoman said, citing other big ships named George Shultz, David Packard and Kenneth T. Derr.

Later that year, the tanker was renamed the "Altair Voyager".

ETA: Spanked! And with the same links, too! I need to be faster with Google.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The name change was prior to 5/29/2001, as the annual inspection done that year was completed on the Altair Voyager.

The vessel is owned by the Calpetro Tankers LTD company, and operated by Chevron. She is flagged in the Bahamas, is 849.4 feet long and displaces 139591 tons (increase in weight when she was refitted to be a double hull tanker in 1999). Her keel was laid on May, 29th, 1992, and she was delivered on August 27th 1993.

Sometimes I love my job more than others!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chevron renamed the tanker "Altair Voyager"
Isn't it bad luck to rename a ship?

At any rate, I would think that her former position at Chevron would be far more indicitive of a government/big oil connection than a photo of a boat with her name on it.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
David J. Ring, Jr.
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David J. Ring, Jr.   E-mail David J. Ring, Jr.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: There is a claim that an oil tanker was once called the
"Condoleeza Rice."

quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
Hello,

I find her here on a list (without picture):

http://www.usmm.org/socalships.html

And here's an article from the San Francisco Chronicle (also without pic alas)- apparently, Chevron renamed the tanker "Altair Voyager":

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2001/05/05/MN223743.DTL

Unfortunately, all available pics are awfully photoshopped, the only one looking genuine at first sight - the one you mention with the ABC logo - including a revealing typo ("Condoleezza" with two Z's):

http://glennz.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/tanker.jpg

So, the story must be true, but photografic evidence seems to be hard to find.

The spelling of Dr. Rice's fist name is given in the original question (and afterwards) incorrectly. Here is my reply:

The "Condoleezza Rice" - note the correct spelling which has two double letters EE and ZZ (previously said to be "incorrect") - is indeed a ship. The ship is registered in the Bahamas, and has radio call sign of C6OK. "Condoleezza Rice" ShipTrack Postion

The photos mentioned are found on the web - but they ALL have the correct spelling, but are quite grainy but in my opinion they appear to be legitimate pictures of the vessel.

Best Wishes to all,

David

Posts: 3 | From: Green Harbor, MA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nicky
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nicky   E-mail nicky   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since the call sign of the Altair voyager is also C60K, its the same ship.
Posts: 60 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
David J. Ring, Jr.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David J. Ring, Jr.   E-mail David J. Ring, Jr.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes the same ship. Some places it is still listed as the Condoleezza Rice, while other places it is listed as the Altair. Right now the ship is North East of NE Australia. It seems to have a regular run over there as shown on www.sailwx.info

Wishing you following seas,

David

Posts: 3 | From: Green Harbor, MA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooops - my bad about the bouble "Z". The first list http://www.usmm.org/socalships.html had it wrong, too. So I guess the photo is genuine after all.

Is it usual for a company to name a ship after one of their executives ?

--------------------

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Isn't it bad luck to rename a ship?
Only if you name it "Unsinkable II".

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
David J. Ring, Jr.

Chevron is the only USA company that I've seen name their ships after living executives. You will notice that the list mentions Carla A. Hills also, she was a Chevron director, then appointed to the cabinet by President Ford and later President George H.W. Bush.

Many USA companies name ships after deceased board members, or company founders, but more commonly they name ships after a geographic feature with the company name added to that. Chevron Alaska sounds nice!

Best Wishes,

David

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Edmund Fitzgerald was named after a living executive: the CEO of Northwestern Mutual Life, whose father and five great uncles were all ship captains (and who was best man at my grandparents' wedding [Smile] ).

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For years, the U.S. Navy only named ships after dead people. Now ships get named after people who will show up at the launching.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gopher
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopher   E-mail gopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I would love to turn up at a launching. Is there any way to apply? The USN Gopher has a certaing ring to it I feel.
Posts: 130 | From: Kingdom of Northumbria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're in Northumbria, you might find it a bit far to travel to an American ship launching. If you want to go to Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine this summer, the next Arleigh Burke class AEGIS destroyer, Sterett (DDG 104), will probably be launched on July 15th.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerard Morvan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerard Morvan   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP gives another meaning to the french term "Marée Noire" (black tide = oil spill, something we in Britanny know about far too well. May the entire board of Amoco be reincarnated as seabirds caught in an oil spill).

--------------------
"Kentoc'h Mervel !"

Posts: 388 | From: France | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

BTW:

Tank Girl:

-

Tanker Girl:

-

--------------------

First Amongst Daves
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Amongst Daves   Author's Homepage   E-mail First Amongst Daves   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:
For years, the U.S. Navy only named ships after dead people. Now ships get named after people who will show up at the launching.

IIRC the USS Ronald Reagan was named before the man's death, breaking tradition.

--------------------
Dave's boards:

incandescent

Posts: 255 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
USS Hyman G. Rickover (SSN 709) was launched (officially named) on August 27, 1983. Admiral Rickover died on July 8, 1986.

USS Arleigh Burke (DDG 51) was launched on September 16, 1989. Admiral Burke died January 2, 1996.

USS Jimmy Carter (SSN 23) was launched May 13, 2004. Carter is still alive.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 1 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't know if this relates, but it's worth noting that the ill-fated German airship A/S Hindenburg (LZ-129) was almost named the A/S Adolf Hitler.

But, for some reason, common sense prevailed over @ the Luftschiffbau Zeppelin, the fear being that naming an airship for Schicklgruber would be in poor taste and would not win over much prestige for the Zeppelin company, let alone the Nazi regime, internationally--especially so on its North Atlantic services to the Lakehurst Naval Air Station, where we all know what happened on 6 May 1937.

Yet nonetheless, as Michael Macdonald Mooney noted in his treatise The Hindenburg (Thomas Y. Crowell, 1972), Propaganda Minister Josef Goebbels was not amused.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
BTW:

Tank Girl:

Tanker Girl:

[lol] Very good.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages