snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Politics » Register To Vote also applies to Jury Duty ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Register To Vote also applies to Jury Duty ?
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to find something out here and may ask my human resources if they have heard this before.

A new employee I have filled out papers with and we got to this point about asking if he is registered to vote (say for a president) and if not, do you want to register. He said that he doesn't wish to register to vote because he heard that it makes you eligible to be contacted for Jury Duty and he doesn't wish that to happen.

So does registering to vote make you eligible for Jury Duty?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Banquo's Ghost
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Banquo's Ghost   E-mail Banquo's Ghost   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Generally, the answer is yes - registering to vote gets your name on the jury list. However, in many locations so do other things, such as having a driver's license. Many jurisdictions use more than one source for jury list in order to obtain a greater balance for the jury pool. Challenges to the venire are more common today, so many court systems draw from as wide a pool of possible jurors as possible, thus making it more difficult to successfully challenge (usually on racial or gender grounds) the composition of the jury pool.

It's not just the composition of the actual jury that is important. If the pool of eligible jurors is improperly weighted, then the jury itself may be unfair even if no improper action during the jury selection takes place.

I hope that helps a bit. Your local courts will most probably be able to give you the run down on how the jury list in your specific area is generated.

--------------------
I have no spur to prick the sides of my intent...

Posts: 138 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it strange that a company would ask an employee if he/she is registered to vote.

I lived in NJ. Driver's license records, and voter registrations were used to find potential jurors. I think state/county tax records were also used.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends on the jurisdiction. But again, why would you ask that question as part of a job application.

Incidentally, I would personally not care for someone who neither voted not wanted to be on jury duty.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Incidentally, I would personally not care for someone who neither voted not wanted to be on jury duty.

I tend to feel that way, too. Not so much dislike as lessened respect. Evading jury duty seems to be a commonly accepted practice, but I find it irresponsible and distasteful. I had a supervisor offer to "get me out of it" once. I refused.

The Constitution entitles citizens to trial by a jury of their peers, not a jury of 12 people who couldn't come up with an excuse.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Constitution entitles citizens to trial by a jury of their peers
No, it doesn't.
quote:
Article VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed...

So as long as the people who don't have an excuse are impartial...

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
I tend to feel that way, too. Not so much dislike as lessened respect. Evading jury duty seems to be a commonly accepted practice, but I find it irresponsible and distasteful. I had a supervisor offer to "get me out of it" once. I refused.

The Constitution entitles citizens to trial by a jury of their peers, not a jury of 12 people who couldn't come up with an excuse.

I've been called up for jury duty twice in my life, thus far, but have yet to be included on a jury. I clearly don't fit a profile that lawyers like. [Wink]

My spouse got called for jury recently and was thrilled...eager, in fact, to get put on a long trial to escape the confines of the office for at least a few days.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
quote:
No, it doesn't.
quote:
Article VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed...

pinqy

Okay. But I still think evading jury duty when you're capable of serving is a shirking of your civic responsiblity. I have the same opinion of not voting.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
No, it doesn't.
quote:
Article VI

pinqy

Okay. But I still think evading jury duty when you're capable of serving is a shirking of your civic responsiblity. I have the same opinion of not voting.
Yep, that's exactly the way I feel about it as well. I have trouble respecting an American who doesn't want to be bothered by voting or jury duty.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
No, it doesn't.
quote:
Article VI

pinqy

Yep, that's exactly the way I feel about it as well. I have trouble respecting an American who doesn't want to be bothered by voting or jury duty.

--------------------

PatYoung
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the old days many jurisdictions only used voter rolls to select juries. This ensured that Blacks, who were prevented from registering to vote, could also be excluded from juries. Extensive case law has found this practice illegal. Now multiple sources are used to construct the jury pool.

As jury duty has been democratized, it has become less burdensome on the individual. In my county, service once protects you from being called again for six years.

Jury duty is an important obligation for citizens and we should not try to avoid it.

--------------------
pat "Megadittoes Rush" young

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Mississippi, juries are selected from the voter registration pool... hence the huge number of people who refuse to vote because it might get their name on The List :roll:

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack]Long story that has nothing to do with jury duty, but shows what can happen if you register to vote and the kind of information that is available to the public. A coworker of mine said that her 16yo daughter, Amber, was home alone when she got a strange call from a woman in Ohio. This woman asked if this was the home of Jim X and when the daughter said it was, the woman got really excited and started going on an on about how she had found her long-lost dad, etc. When Amber's parents came home, she related the story and there was a big "huh?" and Jim had a whole lot of splainin to do!

Turns out Jim had had a brief fling with a woman between marriages, but never knew he had sired a child. His daughter (the one in Ohio) knew a little about him, but he never knew a thing about her until the day she called. She had been searching for years, but never could find him until he turned up on the voting rolls in 2004. He had never registered to vote before.

Just shows what people can find out about you if you vote. That'll teach you to fulfill your civic duty! [/hijack]

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He said that he doesn't wish to register to vote because he heard that it makes you eligible to be contacted for Jury Duty and he doesn't wish that to happen.
You're technically eligible for jury duty whether you register to vote or not. Since many jurisdictions compile lists of prospective jurors from the voter rolls, however, you're generally far less likely to be summoned for jury duty if you don't register to vote.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Marzndruz
Silly rabbi, kicks are for Trids!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marzndruz   E-mail Marzndruz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been called for jury duty at least five times and have served on two juries. Both were fascinating experiences, and as others have said, serving is a duty I take very seriously as part of being a citizen of this country.

OTOH, my 83-year-old mother who has lived in this county since she was a teenager has never been called. Go figure.

--------------------
My doctor told me to drink more. I didn't realize he was talking about water.

Posts: 183 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James D
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James D   E-mail James D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too got called twice, but never seated on a Jury. I wouldn't have minded much - I was on salary at the time and didn't particularly like a few of my coworkers, so I would have welcomed the change of pace.

However they did tell us that they made selections from the DMV rolls as well.

--------------------
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - )

Posts: 244 | From: Ventura, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
He said that he doesn't wish to register to vote because he heard that it makes you eligible to be contacted for Jury Duty and he doesn't wish that to happen.
You're technically eligible for jury duty whether you register to vote or not. Since many jurisdictions compile lists of prospective jurors from the voter rolls, however, you're generally far less likely to be summoned for jury duty if you don't register to vote.

- snopes

How it's done in Massachusetts (the short explanation):

http://www.mass.gov/courts/jury/the.htm

The jury list is based on the lists of residents age 17 and over. These lists include people who are not registered voters, who are indicated by an asterisk (at least the last time I saw our local list).

It may be the case elsewhere that jurors are picked from a list of actual registered voters.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by belaglik:
[hijack]Long story that has nothing to do with jury duty, but shows what can happen if you register to vote and the kind of information that is available to the public.
Turns out Jim had had a brief fling with a woman between marriages, but never knew he had sired a child. His daughter (the one in Ohio) knew a little about him, but he never knew a thing about her until the day she called. She had been searching for years, but never could find him until he turned up on the voting rolls in 2004. He had never registered to vote before.

Just shows what people can find out about you if you vote. That'll teach you to fulfill your civic duty! [/hijack]

No, that shows what happens when you don't keep it in your pants or take proper precautions. Yeah, I'm the kettle and this here's my friend the pot, but you roll the dice and you takes your chances.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancin' Fool
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancin' Fool   E-mail Dancin' Fool   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was called once, selected, swore my oath before the judge and went to trial the next day. We sat in the jury room for over two hours, I am thankful that I brought my newspaper with me in case there was a break. I wound up reading and sharing the whole paper with the fellow jurors.

We finally were called in to the trial, only to be told that the prosecutor had to withdraw the charges as they could no longer find a key witness.

We were all given certificates to claim the per diem, around $10.00 at the time, and I wound up facing the defendant at the clerk's window. I don't know why he was there but he sure gave me a funny look.

I have not been called since, but would go if called. I think that it is just a necessary thing to do as a citizen of your country.

Techy

Posts: 266 | From: Windsor, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No one has answered the OP directly, so, Joseph, according to this site, in your county the answer is yes:

http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=040017000130000112

quote:
Selection of Jurors
Qualified citizens of Prince William County, City of Manassas, and the City of Manassas Park are randomly selected for jury duty from voter registration records.

In Montgomery County, MD, and I believe all of Maryland, it is the voter registration AND motor vehicle records, so YMMV based on state of residence. (not to mention country of course [Big Grin] )
Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While several things, as mentioned above, can get you on jurry list, I was called for jurry duty because of my voters registration. I know that's where they got my name from because its the only offical document of any kind that has that particular name on it. Its not actually my real name (although it is moreso my real name now than it was in 2001 when I changed it on my registration because I decided to run for public office). Since I'd used it, allbeit unofficially, for so long I was allowed to register to vote and run under the name.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In California, "All potential jurors are selected at random from lists. Courts use Department of Motor Vehicles and voter registration lists." DMV lists include people with drivers licenses, with state ID cards, and who have registered vehicles.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Republican
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Republican   E-mail Republican   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I understand, you are more likely to called for jury duty if your name higher up in the alphabet.

--------------------
I'm a rumour weed.

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get called twice for jury dutie per year -- because my ID from the DMV (I don't drive but I have an id) has a space in my first name, and my voters registration doesn't -- Seems they can't figure out the difference between RubyMoon, and Ruby Moon, at the same address- with the same husband, and with the same SSnubmer and Date of birth. So every year I have to go to the courthouse twice -- once for jury duty, and once to argue that I was just their last week.
Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rwolff
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rwolff   E-mail rwolff   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RubyMoon:
I get called twice for jury dutie per year -- because my ID from the DMV (I don't drive but I have an id) has a space in my first name, and my voters registration doesn't -- Seems they can't figure out the difference between RubyMoon, and Ruby Moon, at the same address- with the same husband, and with the same SSnubmer and Date of birth. So every year I have to go to the courthouse twice -- once for jury duty, and once to argue that I was just their last week.

Let's hope they don't do an automated "fishing expedition" and haul your husband in for bigamy, being married to both Ruby Moon and RubyMoon.
Posts: 18 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Draos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Draos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I got called based on DMV I had just moved into the area and had not updated my voter reg, but had updated my DL. Came to the correct address went in got seated, came back the next day. Sat for a couple of hours we were called in told a plea had been reached and our services would not be needed, but thank you and have a nice day.

Little Hijack for people who have been called, what off the wall question were you asked and what did you say? For me the defense asked what TV shows I like to watch. I said I don't watch much, but when it is on I try and watch "Good Eats" on food network. I guess they liked my my reply.

Posts: 30 | From: Brigham City, Utah | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I was a resident of Payette County, Idaho, but attending College in New Mexico, I would get a summon every year always shortly after going back to school in the fall. Kept having to explain the 1500 mile comute was a bit of a "burdon" on me. The third time I did it the clerk wanted to try and force me to somehow show up at the court to explain myself. Luckily a quick note to a higher level clerk and sanity reigned.

Since living in Sacramento County California, I have been called once. Called a phone number each night from Monday to Thrusday. Told on the Thrusday message to come to the courthouse the next afternoon. Showed up, read a book for a couple of hours. Was told thank you for doing my duty and have not been called since.

Pretty easy "service" in my book. Getting out of just because one can't be bothered is just too lazy in my mind.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pando Raspox

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pando Raspox   E-mail Pando Raspox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would serve on jury duty willingly. Besides, I have to vote, so I have the right to complain about whatever idiot is in office.
Posts: 22 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been mailed the questionnaire twice. The first time I didn't even return it. The second time I returned it but didn't expect a response, because I had entered my occupation as "Full-time student/part-time clerk" and it said on the back that students are exempt from jury duty.
Well, some bonehead entered my occupation as "Full-time clerk" and I got the summons.
It was exam time, so I called them and told them I had exams, including one the following day after the summons, and they took my number and said I didn't have to bother coming in.
That was years ago and I haven't heard from them since.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
itsalx
No, I'm a frayed knot.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for itsalx     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been called, but I'm not worried about it. If I'm ever called for jury duty, I'll simply explain to whichever lawyer is questioning me that I'm free of prejudice and intelligent enough to seperate fact from rhetoric. I'm sure that'll end my trip.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Posts: 62 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in L.A. I got called three times, and would have like to served, but had to beg out due to financial hardship (I probably would have lost my job if I asked for time off for jury duty).

Now, here in Ohio, I work where they will actually pay you while serving on a jury, and in 10 years I've never been called.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only been called three times while still living in California and I know that it was because of voter registration. The first time, I had to have my father go with me because they didn't believe I was in high school (I turned 18 on the first day of school and had registered to vote over the summer). Because I was a student and deemed too young to understand the judicial process, I was excused.

The second time was when I was still helping to take care of my parents. I was excused from that.

The third time they made us sit in a room. I managed to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in about 2 days.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Republican:
From what I understand, you are more likely to called for jury duty if your name higher up in the alphabet.

Why do you think that? I tend to doubt it because my first and last names are both close to the beginning of alphabetical lists and I have only been called once in the last five years.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...And my maiden name starts with "Z" and I was called for various juries repeatedly while I was single.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages