snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » What is on the back of the $2 bill? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is on the back of the $2 bill?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: A new rumor... Any idea where it came from??

What is on the Back of the Two Dollar Bill?

The back of the $2 bill has an engraving of the signing of the Declaration
of Independence. In the image is a man who has dark skin and wearing a
powdered wig while sitting at the table just to the left of the men
standing in the center of the engraving. This dark skinned man is John
Hanson in his position as president of the continental congress.

In the original painting hanging in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda, the dark
skinned man does not appear!!!

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unhappy_buffalo
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappy_buffalo   E-mail unhappy_buffalo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did some searching, and found a nice photo of the capitol building rotunda and it appears that in the painting, the man is white, not dark skinned as depicted on the back of the $2 bill. Maybe it was some sort of shading error or something.
 -

--------------------
[IMG]http://sevenelevenclan.org/users/unhappy_buffalo/Unhappybuffalo2.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have 3 1976 $2.00 bills. I just asked Hubby if he saw any black men in the pic and he pointed to the man in question and said that he was indeed darker but wasn't convinced he was supposed to be black. Hubby didn't see the original that unhappy_buffalo posted but he went right to that man. Not very scientific but hopefully helpful.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On my 1995 series, he looks darker, too, but only around his chin and lip, as if he has a 5 o'clock shadow thing going on.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wish my scanner was working. Maybe I will try to fix it tomorrow. Mine's cheeks are darker than the rest but the rest of the face is similar. And looks like he has white hair. Most of the eyes look like black hollows kinda freaky.

--------------------

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Intaglio printing tends to do that. My husband tried to copy a drawing in intaglio and it ended up darkening everything.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DWGuy
Eagle Opportunity Employer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DWGuy   E-mail DWGuy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not real sure what the debate is. Here is a wiki page with the image in question:

$2 Reverse

--------------------
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

Posts: 7 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a debate?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have tons of $2 bills (I used to love paying with them in highschool... it confused the heck out of the lunchladies) and while he is darker, he doesn't appear dark enough that you could mistake him for being black.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hudders
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 304 posted      Profile for hudders   Author's Homepage   E-mail hudders   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
Wish my scanner was working.

You probably wouldn't get any joy anyway.

Many scanners have built-in detection systems to recognise banknotes and stop you scanning them. I tried scanning a £5 British note not so long ago and it refused, telling me I was being very naughty.

Posts: 81 | From: Bourne, UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That claim I will have to test for myself, hudders, because I just don't believe it.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hijack: unhappy_bufallo, it's polite to link to a picture that large, than show it directly here.  -

Rangerdog, it's possible.

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The man in question seems to have slightly darker skin than the people surrounding him even in the oil painting, to me. If I'm getting the correct person, he's the one sitting on the end of the row on the left, facing right. (Not the guy at the table on the far left, facing towards us.)

The one sitting in front of Gordon Brown.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

I love the internet! Lookit what I found: rules about the reproduction and photography of various nations' bank notes!

--------------------

RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bill D, I am still going to try it when I get home today!

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

--------------------

RangerDog

--------------------

Greywarden

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greywarden   E-mail Greywarden   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having checked a Series 1976 $2, a Series 1995 $2, and a handful of Series 2003 $2s, I certainly see the individual in question... he's in the painting as well. I think it a matter of the way the color painting was "converted" to "greenscale" on the bill.

--------------------
Do things by the book, but be the author!

Posts: 25 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 05 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
$2 bill

I don't seem to see it, but I don't know if this is an accurate picture.

ETA: changed picture to link

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hudders
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hudders   Author's Homepage   E-mail hudders   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
The one sitting in front of Gordon Brown.

!!

It's uncanny!

Posts: 81 | From: Bourne, UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do see it now. It does appear that the man in the pic on the bill is darker than the man in the original picture.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I might have described the wrong person - is it the fat guy in the yellow waistcoat sixth from the left of the seated row?

John Hanson appears to have been white.

What's the point of the comment, anyway?

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
John Hanson wasn't the president of the Continental Congress, anyway. John Hancock was. And isn't the president the one sitting at the main desk, with the Declaration on it?

In the Wikipedia scan, I don't see anyone who looks black.

The original post just makes no sense at all.

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
John Hanson wasn't the president of the Continental Congress, anyway. John Hancock was. And isn't the president the one sitting at the main desk, with the Declaration on it?

John Hanson was indeed the President of the Continental Congress, but not during the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

John Hancock was the President of the Second Continental Congress, holding that position from May 1775 to Oct 1777. The Declaration is dated to 4 July 1776 - during Hancock's tenure - and Hanson's signature is not on it, because he was not a delegate at that time. So Hanson shouldn't be in the painting, should he?

Hanson was elected to the Continental Congress in 1780. He was elected as President of the Continental Congress on 5 November 1781. As the Articles of Confederation were ratified in March of 1781, Hanson is therefore credited as being the first person to complete a term as the "President of the United States in Congress Assembled" under the Articles of Confederation.

And no, this is not an excuse to get sidetracked on the old "Washington was Not the first President" myth. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes

Just to end the question about which figure we're talking about in the painting, how about refering to this link and clearing it up for us.

http://www.americanrevolution.org/deckey.html

TXs

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greywarden

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greywarden   E-mail Greywarden   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
17. Robert Morris

--------------------
Do things by the book, but be the author!

Posts: 25 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Hijack!

I successfully scanned both sides of a new "Color Bighead" 20 dollar bill. (I can post if y'all want) With a pretty new HP 2400 Photo Scanner. So here, at my house at least, dons tin-foil hat I don't have no stinking government intrusioners blocking what I can scan! [Big Grin]

--------------------

kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
somewhat interesting... I did find another version of the painting here

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Post it here, RangerDog.

--------------------

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And, RangerDog, anti-Counterfeiting is a good thing.

--------------------

tribrats

quote:
Originally posted by hudders:
quote:

Many scanners have built-in detection systems to recognise banknotes and stop you scanning them. I tried scanning a £5 British note not so long ago and it refused, telling me I was being very naughty.

Never had trouble before but then again, I have only been scanning my collectible coins and bills for documentation. These would have been scanned eventually anyways even if this thread hadn't come up.

--------------------

hudders
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hudders   Author's Homepage   E-mail hudders   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hudders:
quote:

Never had trouble before but then again, I have only been scanning my collectible coins and bills for documentation. These would have been scanned eventually anyways even if this thread hadn't come up.
This is what I get:

-

Looking at it again, it's probably the application I'm using to scan it in rather than the scanner itself.

tribrats

Huh! Never got that before. But then again, everything I have scanned so far have been older and/or obsolete bills. I use an Epson Stylus CX5400. I don't use the scan program that came with the printer. I use Photo Impression 5. Don't know if that matters but it hasn't given my any problems. I will have to try a newer bill when I get it fixed and hooked back up. Now you have my curiosity up. Gonna work on that this weekend.

--------------------

Alkatr0z
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alkatr0z   E-mail Alkatr0z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard for ages that the US government was going to get printer manufacturers to insert code to recognise when someone tries to print out bank notes and not allow it. I always heard its basically because the printing technology for home use is getting better and better all the time so its possible to make a good looking fake.

I've also heard about it for scanners. Haven't tried any scanning of banknotes so I'll haveta try it now.

I have to say on the wikipedia image without zooming he does appear to be darker than the surrounding people.

Posts: 116 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I checked my $2 bill, but all it had on the back was Monticello.

That's what I get for looking at my grandfather's lucky $2 bill from 1928.

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages