snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Death by air bubble

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Death by air bubble
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Me and a friend were watching a movie the other day. The villian
had taken somebody hostage, and was holding a syringe filled with poisen
to their neck, threatening to inject it if anyone came any closer. My
friend said this was silly, "because everybody knows, all you have to do
is inject air into someones bloodstream, and that'll kill 'em".

Ok, I would imagine that if you injected a massive amount of air they
could possibly die, but 10 CC's?

Sounds like complete bunkum to me. What do you know on the subject?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the wrong place, yes. Air embolisms are not that uncommon and are sometimes the preferred way for medical staff to euthanize a patient who would other face a more distressing death. It is untraceable and doesn’t require booking out drugs or falsifying “breakages”

Please note: I am not against this practice and hope for the kindness of a medical professional should I need it. I have seen too many slow deaths to want one.

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizzie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizzie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had heard this one before and took it with a grain of salt But I admit when I was in the hospital with an IV and I saw air bubbles in the IV tube, I was worried. I asked the nurse about it (trying to seem off-hand, "hey, should there be air bubbles in there?") and she said it would take more then the whole tube full of air at once to do any harm and the bubbles (sometimes a few inches of the tube) wouldn't hurt anything. She also said I wasn't the first to ask about it.

Since I am still alive to post this, I'd have to say she was right. I'm sure a lot of air could do some serious harm, but it's not like you hear. (I had heard that even the tiniest bubble would kill you) My guess would be the closer to the heart it's injected, the worse it would be. But that's just a guess.

Posts: 41 | From: Baxter, MN | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's true that injecting air into the bloodstream can be fatal, but if I'm picturing the scene correctly (was this move Terminator 2, by the way?) a syringe to the neck is not guaranteed to discharge its contents into a blood vessel. A sufficiently potent poison will work no matter where in the body it is injected (muscle, fat, organ) although the death may be slower and much more painful.
Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends where the air goes. In muscle tissue? Not too bad since there are multiple blood supplies. The brain? Just the one, the Carotid artery. Block that and you have a stroke. Block it fully and the brain dies.

Hope that helps

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can an IV Air Bubble Kill Someone?

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

But if I inject in to the carotid the the bubble does not go through the heart or lungs - arteries supply, veins take. So, you get an air lock.

I respectly disagree with the cite.

Blues "I am not a doctor but common sense suggests..." Scale

Roofus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roofus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in the hospital a couple years ago, I expressed the concern to one of the nurses (I could see that there was air in the IV line) and she said that she once saw a patient take a whole line's worth of air to no ill effect. FWIW, I was injected with quite a bit of air during my hospitalization (I had a rather nasty infection in my left leg and was getting injected, poked, prodded, etc quite a bit) and it didn't harm me at all.
Posts: 19 | From: Soquel, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Then I guess that I have to agree that injecting at least small amounts of air is not universally fatal.

Do you think that we can get funding for a proper study with volunteers? No, I didn't think so either. Perhaps just as well

Blues

Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
was this move Terminator 2, by the way?
The Osterman Weekend also did it, in fact, it was the start of the entire plot.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a related note, is something I heard when I wore a younger man's clothes. This is in the category of "something told to me by a FOAF and supported by a TV/Magazine/Newspaper report I saw somewhere". Therefore, it is absolutely true.

A woman can suffer a fatal embolism while recieving oral sex if her lover blows air into her vagina.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Milton Helpern's "Where Death Delights" (I think - my crime science books are lent out at the moment) there's a chapter in which he states that the syringe-of-air method of killing is simply overrated, or something like that. Full cite to come - when I can retrieve my copy.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deflowerkid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deflowerkid   E-mail deflowerkid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work in a hospital, and happened to ask a cardiologist one day if this legend were true. He said, absolutely not. It would take liters and liters of air for this to kill someone in the carotids, at least. So...I don't believe it.

--------------------
a penny saved is worth two in the bush.

Posts: 17 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages