snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Triplets for woman with two wombs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Triplets for woman with two wombs
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While this IS a factual story, I can see it becoming fodder for an urban legend real quick!

Woman with two uteruses (uteri) gives birth to triplets.

Pretty amazing that these babies were conceived naturally. Maybe the parents should start playing the lottery!

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Forgotten Fay

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that's pretty interesting. They are very veyer lucky. [Smile]

On a sidenote, I thought this may be a debate as to if a single uterus should be called a uteri. Like a die is one of a set of dice. I don't know. I think oddly this way. And yes, I always jokingly say uteri.

Forgotten "MY UTERI!" Fay

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, the 1 in 1000 amazed me. That is quite a lot of women with extra rooms! Over 60,000 in Britain alone!!!
Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thik it follows the same rule as octopus, Fay. A single is an octopus, and mulitple are octopi.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nooo! Octopuses are octopuses, not octopi!

According to Collins, the plural of uterus is uteri, though. It doesn't give "uteruses" as an alternative, even.

For cactus they give both cactuses and cacti.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know someone who uses "viri" for the plural of "virus." I just let her do it because she's a real know-it-all and thinks she sounds intelligent by saying that. The first time I heard it, I had to look it up because I wasn't sure. Guess I'm just Mrs. Stu P. Dass! ::jocularity running rampant:: In case you think I should be kind and correct her to keep her from sounding foolish, you'd be wrong. She got very angry with me once for quietly correcting something she was saying in error. I have since learned to keep my big mouth shut. [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you can also say octopodes, though.

I use the words "forums" and "memorandums" as a point of principle, and because they are correct English, though I always feel a pang of guilt for not saying fora or memoranda.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Nooo! Octopuses are octopuses, not octopi!

According to Collins, the plural of uterus is uteri, though. It doesn't give "uteruses" as an alternative, even.

For cactus they give both cactuses and cacti.

Actually, according to this neither of us are technically correct.

quote:
The second most popular plural, octopuses, is one of the forms considered correct by dictionaries. It is not a classical form. It is the regular English plural. The correct classical plural is the next-to-least popular, octopodes. The reason is that octopus isn't really a Latin word; it's a Greek word that was borrowed into Latin. In Greek the nominative singular was ὀκτώπους [oktopus] and the plural was ὀκτώποδες [oktopodes]. Like many Greek loans into Latin, it is declined more-or-less as in Greek, as a third declension noun.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In wonder how big the moether got when she was pregnant. I am imagining that each womb would have it's own placenta, so there waould have been the added weight of an extra placenta.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
In wonder how big the moether got when she was pregnant. I am imagining that each womb would have it's own placenta, so there waould have been the added weight of an extra placenta.

Actually each fetus, except in the case of identical twins, has its own placenta. So she wouldn't have had more placental weight than a woman carrying triplets in one uterus.

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The plural of virus is "viruses," according to wikipedia. "Viri," btw, is completely wrong, not even wrong in a pedantic hypercorrection sense.

Both the OED and wikipedia concur that the correct plural of "octopus" is "octopuses." "Octopi" is widely used but based on the incorrect assumption that "octopus" was a Latin word; if you wanted to use a pedantic word you might be able to convince some people that "octopodes" is acceptable.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniceguy:
...Actually each fetus, except in the case of identical twins, has its own placenta. So she wouldn't have had more placental weight than a woman carrying triplets in one uterus.

Even in the case of monozygotic twins (MZ), there may be two placentas (umm... placentae). [Wink] MZ twins may be dichorionic-diamniotic, in which case they would have two placentas, monochorionic-diamniotic (one placenta with two "sacs") or monochrionic-monamniotoc (one placenta, one "sac"), although the last state is the most rare and is also high-risk.

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[cont. hijack]Nick, where does the use of virii (with the double i--triple if you count the one in the middle) come from, do you know?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
[cont. hijack]Nick, where does the use of virii (with the double i--triple if you count the one in the middle) come from, do you know?

Seaboe

[shrug]
Who knows? Leetspeak? A shibboleth? An in-joke? An infectious meme?

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
Even in the case of monozygotic twins (MZ), there may be two placentas (umm... placentae). [Wink] MZ twins may be dichorionic-diamniotic, in which case they would have two placentas, monochorionic-diamniotic (one placenta with two "sacs") or monochrionic-monamniotoc (one placenta, one "sac"), although the last state is the most rare and is also high-risk.

Wow. I didn't know that. How would MZ twins with two placentas be distinguished from fraternal (DZ?) twins, in the absence of genetic testing?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:

Wow. I didn't know that. How would MZ twins with two placentas be distinguished from fraternal (DZ?) twins, in the absence of genetic testing?
You can't, in the absence of any other obvious markers of discordance (such as different sex or blood type).

Anecdotally, in the twins-triplets newsgroup I used to frequent, there were several parents that had twins that were "diagnosed" by the obstetrician as being DZ based solely on the presence of two placentas, but were confirmed as MZ by genetic testing (in some cases years later).

Some surveys put the frequency of dichorionic MZ twinning as 25%-30% of all MZ twins; however, I have my suspicion that it may be higher than that because some doctors still assume that all dichorionic twins are DZ.

There was also some supsicion in that newsgroup that the Olsen twins, which are claimed by the publicist to be DZ, might be actually be misdiagnosed as MZ due to circumstances like those discussed above; nobody seems to know if they were ever genetically tested.

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages