snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Head Lice Prefer Clean Hair?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Head Lice Prefer Clean Hair?
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember on the few occasions I got head lice as a child, people would try to comfort me with the fact that it was ok, because "head lice prefer clean hair". So, although I had nits, at least my hair was clean.

I was chatting about it with my sister the other day, and she told me that this 'fact' didn't actually have any truth to it.

I've been looking it up online, but I can't find any decisive evidence one way or the other.

The NHS website states that they prefer clean hair, while
Wikipedia says they're not fussed one way or the other.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Without knowing for sure, what I've heard is that head lice 'glue' for want of a better word their eggs to the hair shaft.

If the hair shaft is greasy as in dirty hair, it makes it harder for the eggs to adhere.

This is why it is recommended to apply conditioner to the hair if choosing the manual combing method of control.

I'm sure lice can live in dirty hair, but they will not be able to reproduce so effectively.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I kept getting them when I did work experience in a school, so for the last couple of weeks I didn't wash my hair. Still got nits.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, would you want to live in a dump?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was listening to a programme on BBC Radio 4 about nits a few months ago where they said that "Nits prefer clean heads" was a myth created by health professionals in the 50s to comfort middle class parents whose children gots nits at school.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having dealt with lice last year, I also heard that lice don't like African-American hair because the texture is too rough. Any truth to that?

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vfwchick
Deck the Malls with Boughs of Money

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vfwchick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really can't confirm or deny either, but I was taught in cosmetology school that they do prefer clean for the reasons Eddylizard said. They prefer the warmer spots, which is why you usually find them in the nape area. They also don't like color treated hair and you can get rid of them with hair color too. It smothers them along with the chemical reaction. You still have to keep combing them out. Mineral oil will smother them too, but it takes some doing to get the oil washed out. Lice can survive a perm. If anyone needs more info on lice control, just let me know.

(don't ask for a site, this is all personal experience)

--------------------
God bless our Troops!
If you can't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 380 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Having dealt with lice last year, I also heard that lice don't like African-American hair because the texture is too rough. Any truth to that?
Oh, boy, I could write a book on headlice. In the community where we lived when my children were small, lice were extremely prevalent. There was no shame associated with it, because nearly everyone got them at some point--rich kids, homeschooled kids, everyone.

In the US, headlice prefer hair with a round hair shaft ("white" hair). In Africa, headlice are adapted to the "black" hair type. I've read this many different places over the years; here's but one cite.

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 08 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey:
I remember on the few occasions I got head lice as a child, people would try to comfort me with the fact that it was ok, because "head lice prefer clean hair". So, although I had nits, at least my hair was clean.

I was chatting about it with my sister the other day, and she told me that this 'fact' didn't actually have any truth to it....

An episode of As Told by Ginger entitled "Of Lice and Friends" makes note of this legend, with regards to one Courtney Gripling having been found to have head lice in spite of daily hair washing.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:

I can't cite this at the moment, but I've researched this in the past: There are European lice, who have evolved to cling to "white" hair, and African lice, who have evolved to cling to "black" hair. The lice in North America are European, so people in North America who have "black" hair don't get lice, and vice versa people with "white" hair who live in Africa.

The reason I researched it, BTW, is that a teacher friend explained to me that her school nurse, who had been working in the schools for many years, did lice checks only on the white kids. We figured the nurse knew what she was doing, but we didn't understand why, so I looked it up.

I'll do some Googling and come back with cites (whether I'm correct or not).

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lainie, you may be looking for a more extensive or authoritative citation, but the link I posted above does touch on the distinction between European and African lice.

quote:
Head lice found in the United States prefer hair that is round in cross section. Hair that is ovoid in cross section, such as the extremely curly hair of African Americans, is not as attractive to lice that are adapted to round hair shafts. While head lice infestations are common in Africa, as in all continents, African head lice have claws especially adapted for grasping oval hair shafts. The African variety of head lice is not common in North America and consequently African Americans are much less susceptible to infestations, but they can get head lice.
As for the original "clean heads" question: this is purely anecdotal, but we're all daily hair-washers in my family, and various members of the household were infested with headlice more times than I could count back when we lived in a region where lice were common. Over the years we tried every over-the-counter lice killer on the market, a prescription lice killing shampoo (which was actually cheaper because it was covered by our medical insurance), and several old wives' remedies (e.g., coat the hair with Vaseline and sleep in a shower cap!), and I can say with reasonable authority that the only surefire way to get rid of lice is to kill the lice AND meticulously remove every single nit from the hair. There are some over-the-counter products that help loosen the "glue" that adheres the eggs to the hair shafts, but nit removal is still a sickeningly time-consuming process. Personally, I had no use for those combs--I found it more efficient in the long run to pick the nits one by one with the thumb and forefinger. Besides, the combs cause too much damage to hair that has already been abused by the application of chemical-laden lice shampoo.

Ahem. I told you I could write a book!

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Buzzkiller, I don't know how I missed your post and cite. Maybe we cross-posted.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages