snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » lead in colored newspaper or mags?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lead in colored newspaper or mags?
Eanar
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eanar   E-mail Eanar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine forwards me "Handy Tips" from Gopher Central once in a while. Todays I am having a hard time believing:

quote:
FIREPLACE ALERT!

Do not burn colored newspaper or magazines in your
fireplace! They contain lead and when burned will
give out dangerous levels of the lead. This can be
extremely harmful especially to children!

I am a painter and I know the dangers of lead or doing anything in older houses that may contain lead. I just cannot believe that it would be in newspapers and what have you.

I have googled it but the 4 articles that I was able to find that pertain contradict each other. Does anybody know the truth?

Posts: 92 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could it be a rumour with roots in the old lead types once used in printing (although it was a long, long time ago they were replaced with other alloys)?

It's concievable, but unlikely, that they could leave trace amounts of lead on the paper.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eanar:
I have googled it but the 4 articles that I was able to find that pertain contradict each other. Does anybody know the truth?

It helps to let everyone in on the results of your search. Can you please post links to those sites? Or at least tell us what search terms you used.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been told (by people of my parents' generation) it was black newspaper ink that once contained lead. (I don't think there was any coloured newsprint back then, anyway). According to one person you could leave a newspaper in your lap while wearing white pants and they would remain pristine because none of the ink would come off.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Two-Door Galaxy:
(I don't think there was any coloured newsprint back then, anyway).

[Just a couple of comments...] Color printing has been used in newspapers for over a hundred years. "Newsprint" refers to the paper, not the ink or the finished product.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, back to the main topic: Lead monoxide (in a form called litharge) was once used, I think to help inks dry. Cadmium was used in colored inks and lead was used in many kinds of ink. Several pigments used in colored inks contain lead compounds. The use of significant amounts of lead and cadmium in inks has been prohibited for more than two decades in most places.

As Troberg mentioned, there was also lead type. Lead has been used in other parts of printing as well as the paper-making process. So there are a number of different sources of lead and other metals in newspapers. Over the past few decades, most (if not all) of them have been eliminated. Older newspapers or comic books may have lead and other harmful metals in pure or compound form.

I have found many warnings about burning "colored newsprint" as well as "colored newspaper" but I don't know if they refer to the paper or the colored inks or the finished product. At any rate, this advice is probably outdated in the US and other countries with laws banning the use of heavy metals in the printing process.

Eanar
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eanar   E-mail Eanar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry about my lack of links:

This link says there is no lead, no problem:

web page

This link says not to use as mulch because of lead:

web page

I got those with googling "lead in colored newspapers"

Searching for "lead in colored Magazines" came up with an outdated study from the 70's which I didn't notice last night and I can't for the life of me find the other article right now.

Other than those I didn't find much else. I am not the queen of searching or even knowing the right terms to search so maybe I am not looking in the right places.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 92 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages