snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Foolproof cure for hiccups (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foolproof cure for hiccups
Fowlplay
The First USA Noel

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Fowlplay   E-mail Fowlplay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ Me when I get the hiccups.

I cannot stand the hiccups. They are the single most irritating bodily function period. The longer they last the angrier I get.

But I find that I have to endure at least the first few minutes of them. Trying to douse them too quickly just results in frustration and an inability to get rid of them.

After a few minutes, this has never failed me and was also given to me by my father-in-law:

quote:
This was my dad's cure and it always worked for my family members:

Hold a glass of water in your hand and bend over at the waist (keeping the water upright). Take a drink of the water while upside down by putting the opposite side of the glass on your top lip and tipping the glass toward your chin. Make sure you finish swallowing while you are upside down.

Does it seems like you get hiccups more when you are a kid? I wonder why?

I don't know if it's right, but he claims its a malfucntion of the hypothalamus that causes the diaghram to spasm. The drinking upside down 'tricks' the brain into quit sending the signal.

Doesn't really matter why anyways, it works and THAT is all that matters for me!

--------------------
"Sometimes it will be fluffy bunnies and cotton candy. Sometimes it will be napalm and defoliants. Sometimes it is roasted bunnies." -Rhiandmoi

Posts: 627 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing I found that worked for me (and actually it worked every time) and worked for the rest of my family was a homeopathic anti-spasmodic that was composed of magnesium and I *think* potassium (something with a p.) I know it was a combination that is also used to stop pre-term labor contractions, though obviously in different dosages. As soon as the hateful things would take hold (like the last poster said, best to wait until they've sunk in rather than attack them instantly) we'd slip a couple tablets under the tongue and within a couple minutes the spasms would stop; no more hiccups. None of the water things ever helped me personally, and I have had other muscular spasm problems so even the deeply held breath and massaging the solar plexus wasn't enough (though I'm sure it is for many.)

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:

The most effective singular cure for a bout of hiccups I have seen is when the aforementioned hiccuper had a bad bout in the pub. He was starting to despair when the landlord said he'd pour a shot of something that always cured himself. Expecting a tasty jolt of scotch or something, it was with great surprise that he slammed down a shot of finest malt vinegar. No hiccups.

Even cheap apple cider vinegar works. At least, it works on my husband and my daughter. Mr. Shoes got hiccups last winter; drinking water didn't get rid of them, spoonful of sugar didn't work, so I gave him about 1/4 teaspoon of cider vinegar. It stopped the hiccups. Of course, for a few minutes it looked like he was going to be very, very ill. Sugar doesn't stop my daughter's hiccups at all; she asks for a spoonful of cider vinegar. Very odd child.

Sugar works for me! I won't try the vinegar. [lol]

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hypno Toad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Says:

Hold a glass of water in your hand and bend over at the waist (keeping the water upright). Take a drink of the water while upside down by putting the opposite side of the glass on your top lip and tipping the glass toward your chin. Make sure you finish swallowing while you are upside down.

This always works for me.

--------------------
A Freudian slip occurs when you say one thing while thinking amother - Cliff Claven

Formally Random Dan

Posts: 184 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot

Icon 82 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get hiccups more often than most folks, and I have tried nearly every remedy mentioned so far with varying degrees of success. Another method I invented that works most of the time, is to hold my breath while I drink half a glass of cold water, half a glass of hot water, and half a glass of cold water.
The only thing I have come up with that has worked 100% of the time is meditation. I go to a somewhat quiet place, close my eyes, and concentrate on slowly breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. After two or three deep breaths, the hiccups are always gone.
I hope this cure continues to work for me until my dying day. I loathe hiccups.

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find holding my breath to be completely ineffective. I don't hiccup as long as I'm holding, but as soon as I stop, there they are again.

What does work for me--every single time--is controlled deep breathing. The great thing about it is that you can keep it up for as long as necessary.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drama Queen Of Mars
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drama Queen Of Mars   E-mail Drama Queen Of Mars   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kinda the same as the deep breathing, what always works for me is to yawn. One of those huge, loud, impolite yawns and I am 100% hiccup free.

--------------------
WARNING: Men viewed through beer goggles may be uglier than they appear!

Posts: 50 | From: Springfield, OH | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ratboy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ratboy   E-mail Ratboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:

What worked brilliantly for me one time when I was young, was my older brother saying he'd pay me 20c for every hiccup I did from 'right now'.

My brothers have used the same method (with swedish currency, of course). It works fine for me a minute or so, but then the hiccups come back, at which time I look at the brother who offered me money compensation, who then says "That doesn't count".
Posts: 144 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that most of these cures have a common denominator. Breathing.

Hiccups are a disruption in the normal breathing pattern and to cure it you must reset your breathing. My foolproof way uses this fact.

Breathe in slowly for a count of 10 then breathe out slowly for a count of 10. Repeat as necessary. Don't be discouraged if you hiccup while doing it, just continue. It seldom take more than 3 times.

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I agree. The 'payment' method only works because you become more aware of your breathing and are effectively trying to hiccup. Holding your breath, meditating, deep breathing, yawning, all methods of becoming aware of your breathing and trying to control it.

Kinda surprised nobody's mentioned the paper bag technique yet.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight hijack

I found this and thought it was cute A sure fire way to cure a Nun from hiccups!~!lol

The Nun's Pregnant?!

A guy is walking up to the doctor's office when a nun comes running out
screaming and crying.

The guy walks in and says, "Doc, what's with the nun?"

The doctor says, "Oh, I just told her she's pregnant."

The guy says, "The nun's pregnant?"

The doctor says, "No. But it certainly cured her hiccups."

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since hiccups are basically your diaphram acting up, wouldn't just about anything that stops this work? Such as not breathing until you pass out on the floor, blue as a blueberry?

I usually just swallow air, belch, voila!

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Red Cervette:
I discovered this a long time ago and it always works for me:

1. Take a large sip from a glass of water, but don't swallow.
2. Tip your head all the way back, but still don't swallow. I usually accomplish this by bending my tongue back to prevent the water from going down my throat.
3. Hold this position for 10-15 seconds.
4. Spit out the water.

This starts off very similarly to how I get rid of hiccups.

I take a mouthfull of water and tip my head back without swallowing the water.

after about 10-15 seconds I'll open my throat and let the water pour down it without me actively swallowing until my reflexes make me to stop me choking.

always works without fail.

The most impressive getting rid of hiccups I've ever done though is when I was about 17, and was getting ready to take my clarinet grade 8 exam. My teacher had been trying to teach us the technique of using the diaphragm to support the note and get a better sound out.

Anyway, one evening I got really bad hiccups that were annoying both me and my parents. My dad eventually looked at me and said in a semi-stern/semi-mocking voice:

"control your diaphragm girl"

very similar to what my clarinet teacher said when she wanted me to use my diaphragm to support the notes.... so without thinking about it that's exactly what I did - controlled my diaphragm, and my hiccups went away instantly!!

unfortunately this is something that takes a lot of practice, and now that I don't play the clarinet very often, I'm not as good at it and usually resort to the water.

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
khadijah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for khadijah   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I read once that basically all you have to do is distract yourself enough, or get a surprise, which would include being startled. (eg the nun!) I am quite lucky in that usually, I just have to hold my breath for a few seconds longer than is comfortable. Just hold your breath until you can't stand it anymore, then hold out for a little bit longer.
Posts: 122 | From: Minneapolis/London | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shame I probably could never do that Scout. It's the smart persons way of taking care of hiccups. Gets right to the problem.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
barb64
Make Me a Fire Love

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barb64     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few drops of bitters on a slice of lime... pucker up... it works every time.
Posts: 6 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delia Darrow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delia Darrow   E-mail Delia Darrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My foolproof cure? When you begin hiccuping, take 10 mgs of Valium. If your hiccups are not gone in one hour, take an additional 20 mgs of Valium. When you wake up, your hiccups will be gone. [Razz]

--------------------
Cogito, ergo Dei non est.

Posts: 70 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What works for me every time is drinking a cup of water and swallowing as frequently as possible - just gulpgulpgulpgulpgulp.

If a glass of water isn't handy, I try to make myself hiccup, and that usually stops it. I discovered that one when someone tried the monetary compensation one on me, which worked on me - though, oddly, that's never worked when I've tried it on other people (I've stopped trying it because I can't afford to keep paying them to hiccup).

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
btvsrcks
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for btvsrcks   E-mail btvsrcks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Raise one arm as high as it will go. It stretches the diaphragm, thus preventing the hiccup.

Works similar to stretching the muscle when you get a leg cramp.

Posts: 69 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages