snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Exploding bladder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exploding bladder
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard that 16th century astronomer Tycho Brahe died
because his bladder exploded when he held it in too long at a banquet.
Can a human bladder actually explode if a person holds it in too long?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting story about Brahe. Recent evidence showed that he may have died of mercury poisoning. From Wikipedia:
quote:
However, recent investigations have suggested that Tycho did not die from urinary problems but most likely from mercury poisoning: toxic levels of it have been found in his hair and hair-roots. Tycho may have poisoned himself unintentionally by imbibing some mercury-containing medicine. Some have even speculated that Tycho may have been murdered, possibly by Kepler, though there is no solid evidence for this.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Wikipedia source goes to a dead link. It is probably this, which discusses the forensic evidence. How Tycho Brahe Really Died

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to find a cite, but I think it's unlikely you'd "explode" from simply holding on. If you do ignore the need to urinate, it goes away, then returns, then goes away, until eventually you'll simply wet yourself.

If you actually had something obstructing the flow of urine, though, it could be a different story.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Little discussion about exploding bladders here. Not exactly the situation in the OP, but some good info.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you actually had something obstructing the flow of urine, though, it could be a different story.
Not sure exactly where I read it, but I read somewhere that if that happens, the bladder don't explode, instead you end up vomiting a urine like substance. I have no idea at all if that's true, though.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
Not sure exactly where I read it, but I read somewhere that if that happens, the bladder don't explode, instead you end up vomiting a urine like substance. I have no idea at all if that's true, though.
I'm not sure that would happen. The urine would have to go back up into the kidneys, back out through them into the bloodstream, be...de-absorbed into the intensines and back into the stomach before being vomited out. Wouldn't it?

I can personally attest to the fact that when one holds it in for too long and there is no obstruction in the urethra, one simply wets oneself, but I'd rather no one asked me to elaborate. (I'm serious.)

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It takes effort to hold it in. The muscle that you use to "hold it" will tire and give out long before your bladder does.

Whatever you do, do not use a clothespin to hold it in for just a little bit longer...

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This article suggests that having a full bladder is more likely to lead to injury than an empty one. It also says that injuries are likely to occur because of 'blunt or penaetrating trauma'. Thus in a car accident a flat seat belt is unlikely to cause injury to the bladder.

quote:
Bladder injuries occur as a result of blunt or penetrating trauma. The probability of bladder injury varies according to the degree of bladder distention; therefore, a full bladder is more likely to become injured than an empty one.

Although uniformly fatal in the past, a timely diagnosis with appropriate medical and surgical management now offers an excellent outcome. Early clinical suspicion, appropriate and reliable radiologic studies, and prompt surgical intervention, when indicated, are the keys to successful diagnosis and management.

Having a burst bladder need not be fatal now. From the same article.

quote:
Of traumatic ruptures, extraperitoneal bladder perforations account for 50-71%, intraperitoneal accounts for 25-43%, and combined perforations account for 7-14%. Incidence of intraperitoneal bladder ruptures is significantly higher in children because of the predominantly intra-abdominal location of the bladder prior to puberty.

Combined intraperitoneal and extraperitoneal ruptures account for approximately 10% of all traumatic bladder-perforating injuries. Mortality rates in these patients approach 60%, as compared to 17-22% overall, reflecting the severity of concomitant injuries associated with combined bladder ruptures.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not sure that would happen. The urine would have to go back up into the kidneys, back out through them into the bloodstream, be...de-absorbed into the intensines and back into the stomach before being vomited out. Wouldn't it?
Probably. The only answer I can give is that perhaps the kidneys can't take more, those substances gets out elsewhere in the body. That's why I used the term "urine like substance", as I also considered it highly unlikely that it would flow all that way back without killing the patient.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We talked about the traumatic version of the bladder burst last year.
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/35/t/001694/p/1.html

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katywren
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katywren     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably. The only answer I can give is that perhaps the kidneys can't take more, those substances gets out elsewhere in the body. That's why I used the term "urine like substance", as I also considered it highly unlikely that it would flow all that way back without killing the patient.

My husband had a particularly bad episode of kidney stones a couple of years ago. Namely, he had one the size of an adult male pinky-fingernail completely blocking his ureter (the tube from the kidney to the bladder). The doctor said that most of the pain he was feeling was coming from urine backing up into the kidney. This was very dangerous, because, while the liquid could and would be reabsorbed back into the body, the toxins from the urine was quickly building up in his kidney. We had to constantly monitor his temperature because a sudden spike in temp was the first symptom of Uric Acid poisoning. Apparently, this is quite deadly.

So, I don't think that a back up of urine would cause vomiting of any kind, unless that is a more advanced symptom of Uric Acid poisoning. (Which it may be, I'm not sure. DH got into surgery before it got to that point.)

Katywren

Posts: 65 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bladder rupture can happen if there is some kind of obstruction. The only medical references I can find of this happening by "holding it" are with patients that had a recent previous injury or surgery to their bladder. It has been said that Tycho Brahe's bladder ruptured due to severe enlargement of his prostate, possibly due to cancer or an infection.

If it does happen, it certainly won't burst or explode just like your appendix doesn't burst or explode. What happens is that it develops a tear and the fluid leaks out and the pressure is relieved. This fluid will go into your body and cause sepsis or septic shock which is usually fatal if not treated immediately.

Tycho Brahe on the other hand is now believed to have died from mercury poisoning. A test of beard hair retrieved from his grave was tested in 1996 by J. Pallon at Fysiska Institutionen at Lund University, Sweden. The test showed that he ingested a large amount of mercury about 20 hours before he became ill. He may have been murdered but it is more likely that the mercury came from medicines that he had taken.

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the same story once, of someone dying of a burst bladder at a banquet, only it was a prince. (It was understood that royalty never, ever left the table under any circumstances, apparently.) I had a feeling it was a UL, though.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Repeatedly holding your bladder too long can cause an infection, either bladder or UT, which in turn can cause inflammation that leads to blockage. I know this because I have a congenitally small bladder, and used to get bladder infections all the time; I couldn't go more than two hours during the day (more like one hour, mostly), or four hours at night, without needing to relieve myself.

I had surgery, and also took the medication Detrol for five years. Got to the point where I could go easily four hours during the day, and eight at night without needing to pee.

Then I got pregnant.

My point, which I'm getting to, is that Brahe may have been in the habit of holding his bladder too long, giving himself an infection, which lead to his ingesting mercury, which was commonly used for internal pain.

People didn't understand the effects of infectious invaders at the time of course, or the need for antibiotics, but in some cases, mercury may actually have benefitted. Before organic antibiotics were discovered, poisons like heavy metals-- ie, those not immediately fatal to the host-- were used as treatment for infections. They may actually have killed off bacterial colonies in the body. The problem was, it usually worked only early in the course of an infection, and most people didn't seek treatment until they'd been sick awhile, and nothing was known about regulating dosages. They probably worked just often enough to keep the belief in them alive.

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages