snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Poison Ivy: Myth vs. Fact

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poison Ivy: Myth vs. Fact
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.ktbs.com/health/3345361.html
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the active chemical causing the rash can persist on the dead plant for up to 5 years!
[Eek!]

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even industrial grade rubber gloves are penetrated by the Poison Ivy chemicals.

DAMN! That is some toxic stuff

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 206 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing they didn't mention -- NEVER burn the stuff to dispose of it -- the oils can be carried in the smoke, which if inhaled can lead to a case of internal (!) poison ivy -- particularly nasty stuff!

Government Poison Ivy info page

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaLea
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaLea   E-mail LeaLea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, he said that scratching does not spread the rash. Then how does my son start with a little rash on his arm and 3 days later he has a rash on the other arm, his leg, his face, his back, and any number of other places?

And here's a helpful hint: Emu oil works really well for relieving the itch and making the rash go away faster.

Posts: 5 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lealea- I have seen all the assertions that scratching doesn't spread it. I think it is bunk too.

Rus Tox is a homeopathic remedy that has given me some relief in the past.

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeaLea:
Ok, he said that scratching does not spread the rash. Then how does my son start with a little rash on his arm and 3 days later he has a rash on the other arm, his leg, his face, his back, and any number of other places?

And here's a helpful hint: Emu oil works really well for relieving the itch and making the rash go away faster.

If any of the oils from the plant are still present on the skin, even the tiniest amount, then touching the area (to scratch) can spread it, but if all of the oils are washed off and none of it remains, then the rash cannot be spread by scratching.
I think that the article, while correct, was over simplified.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 401 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by LeaLea:

If any of the oils from the plant are still present on the skin, even the tiniest amount, then touching the area (to scratch) can spread it, but if all of the oils are washed off and none of it remains, then the rash cannot be spread by scratching.
That's my take, too. I broke out with the case of poison ivy from hell on the bus on the way to WV when I was a kid. I paid my younger cousin a penny at a time to scratch my feet and she never caught a thing. I had poison ivy everywhere. Here's how you do it: Place one barefoot, scantily clad 10 year-old in a field teeming with the stuff, then toss her in the bathtub because she's going to be traveling the next day and needs to be clean before bed, then stuff her in a hot sweltering bus for 10 hours or so. Voila! I had poison ivy on my poison ivy.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Polyeth12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polyeth12     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad swears the best way to get rid of the rash is wash the affected area in borax! [Eek!] He's done it and says it hurts like heck, but it gets rid of the rash right away.
Not that I'm recommending anyone acutally do this, but I thought people might find this "cure" amusing...or disturbing.

Posts: 33 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cambion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cambion   E-mail Cambion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The blister fluid is free of the chemical causing the rash, so does not spread the rash.

I figured this one out on my own. When I had poison ivy, I scratched the rash bloody with a soft-toothed brush and it didn't spread anymore than before I brushed. Is it for poison ivy that calomine lotion is always used? I remember being coated in that crap at some point, but I don't remember if it was for chicken pox or poison ivy.

Pretty interesting facts there...the one about the oils from the leaves penetrating industrial rubber gloves is just...wow. That's some powerful stuff.

Posts: 39 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hyla Cinerea

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyla Cinerea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so glad I'm immune to the stuff like my dad is. I've walked through patches of it before, with not an itch. Lately I've taken up the habit washing my feet and anything that touched the ivy in a solution of baking-soda and water, to avoid tracking the oils around. In a chemistry class we were told it is supposed to neutralize the oils. Not sure how effective it is, or if its just an old-wives tale or not, but its harmless at least.

On the plus side, almost everywhere I see poison-ivy growing, I also see jewel-weed growing, and jewel-weed sap is very useful for stopping poison-ivy itch. Just got to make sure you use fresh sap. Cooking or freezing it makes it uneffective, or so I've been told.

--------------------

Posts: 48 | From: Portland, Maine | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh. I had a case once that left me bedridden--all over my torso. I had to take lots of antihistimines for the itch, but the oozing and pain kept me from moving.

It has to be one of the most disgusting experiences I've ever had.

It is one of many reasons I avoid the "great outdoors," though I'm not at all high maintenance.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Countryside bad, City good. Give me a teen with a knife any day. At least arterial bleeding doesn't spread if you scratch it.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well, we've had this discussion before, but it never loses it's relevance.

I disagree with the last paragraph of the article. Once you get it, the best thing for it is Zanfel, which DOES REMOVE the oils, or that other product that also does (forgot the name though.) Wish I had remembered it when I got that bout of sumac in May - I am still scarred! from the damn stuff! Zanfel Zanfel Zanfel. I have found the hydrocortisone creams and calamine lotion to be about as effective as trying to empty the bathtub with a teaspoon. Just doesn't even noticeably help at all.

Zanfel!

Oh, and that news station KTBS is my local affiliate, that was interesting.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
Countryside bad, City good. Give me a teen with a knife any day. At least arterial bleeding doesn't spread if you scratch it.

It's in the cities, too. Trust me.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Poison ivy spreads to other parts of the body because it sometimes becomes systemic. Eruptions can continue for two weeks. When that happens, it has nothing to do with the oil anymore. The parts of the body that came in contact with the oil usually finish erupting withing a few hours, at most a day.

I get it mildly systemic. My brother gets it majorly, over his entire -- and I do mean entire -- body. I always break blisters and it just doesn't make a difference. It's either going to spread downhill from the blister or it isn't whether you break the blister or not.

The other way it spreads to parts of the body which didn't come in contact with the oil is because people tend to pick up their oily clothes and handle them. That's how my mother got poison every time my brother did until we figured it out.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trialofmiles
Congo Your Own Way

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trialofmiles   E-mail trialofmiles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
Once you get it, the best thing for it is Zanfel, which DOES REMOVE the oils, or that other product that also does (forgot the name though.)

For the other product, you're probably thinking of Tecnu, which I've used and so far it's worked well in preventing rashes from poison sumac, etc.

--------------------
Good morning, fellow employee. You'll notice that I am now a model worker. We should continue this conversation later, during the designated break periods. Sincerely, Homer Simpson.

Posts: 371 | From: Connecticut | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some may remember Mrs. from Georgia's run-in with the dread vine earlier this summer. We sprayed it, bagged it, and hauled it away, and I managed not to get any of the vile secretion on my skin, evidently. My mom swears that she's immune to poison ivy and therefore I should be, too, but I'm not gonna take the chance. Besides, our doc says it's possible to become sensitized to it even late in life and all of a sudden have a terrible reaction.

Not that it's so late in my life, o'course....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Some may remember Mrs. from Georgia's run-in with the dread vine earlier this summer. We sprayed it, bagged it, and hauled it away, and I managed not to get any of the vile secretion on my skin, evidently. My mom swears that she's immune to poison ivy and therefore I should be, too, but I'm not gonna take the chance. Besides, our doc says it's possible to become sensitized to it even late in life and all of a sudden have a terrible reaction.

When I was younger, I was immune to the stuff. I once sat in a pile of it and got nothing. My uncle used to get paid to removed it because he was also immune. It was so much NOT a problem that I really never learned to recognize the weed.

Fast forward 20 years and we have some in our backyard. I cleaned up our back yard (including some of the dreaded weed) and thought nothing of it. I got a rash that I could not identify. When I went to the doctor's office, he said it looked like just like a mild poison ivy rash. I told him I was immune and his response was, “Not anymore.” Great. So now I have to figure out what the crap looks like. My wife is no help because she is also immune (and didn't seem to lose it with age). [Frown]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trialofmiles:
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
Once you get it, the best thing for it is Zanfel, which DOES REMOVE the oils, or that other product that also does (forgot the name though.)

For the other product, you're probably thinking of Tecnu, which I've used and so far it's worked well in preventing rashes from poison sumac, etc.
Yes! that was it. I never can remember the name of it.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard that brown laundry bar soap also helps to get the oils off. Haven't had it myself for years, but it seems to be the home-cats favorite place to hide.
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could the bar be Phels-naptha? We also use Clorox on paper towels it burns like the dickens but will dry it up in a few days(just not on the face).

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another immune here. One of my friends in college got a particularly bad case trying to climb (drunk) over a fence covered in poison ivy while wearing fairly short shorts. The fence collapsed and you can guess the rest. I'd never had it and didn't know what to do. Another friend suggested washing her legs down with bleach (diluted) and I got elected to do the washing since I, most likely, would not get the rash. It seemed to help her (although from her language I think it hurt like hell - that may have been the large amount of alcohol talking though) and I didn't get a rash.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 37 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
My brother gets it majorly, over his entire -- and I do mean entire -- body.

Your brother and my brother should get together and form a support group. I swear, he could look at a b/w photo of poison and get it! I've had mild cases in the past that usually clear up in a few days; taking allergy meds anyway is a big help. Guess that's ONE perk of having other allergies. It's the only one though.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
USA-Mick66
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 216 posted      Profile for USA-Mick66   Author's Homepage   E-mail USA-Mick66   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

When I was younger, I was immune to the stuff. I once sat in a pile of it and got nothing. My uncle used to get paid to removed it because he was also immune. It was so much NOT a problem that I really never learned to recognize the weed.

Fast forward 20 years and we have some in our backyard. I cleaned up our back yard (including some of the dreaded weed) and thought nothing of it. I got a rash that I could not identify. When I went to the doctor's office, he said it looked like just like a mild poison ivy rash. I told him I was immune and his response was, “Not anymore.” Great. So now I have to figure out what the crap looks like. My wife is no help because she is also immune (and didn't seem to lose it with age). [Frown]

Ditto, I was never one to catch it, until I sat in a pile of it for 6 hours while fishing...put me in the hospital for a day...it was so horrible, I scratched it raw, doused myself in bleach, gasoline, brake cleaner, etc. for any kind of relief.

--------------------
Remember... amateurs built the Ark... professionals built the Titanic...

Posts: 118 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 201 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diehard:
Could the bar be Phels-naptha? We also use Clorox on paper towels it burns like the dickens but will dry it up in a few days(just not on the face).

I believe the brand name is Octagon--it comes in a red and white wrapper.
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages