snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Death by sunflower seed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Death by sunflower seed
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: There is an email floating around that says that people have died
from sunflower seed pieces becoming lodged in their intestines and the
subsequent root germination perforates their colon resulting in septic
shock. Is this true? My son loves sunflower seeds.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sabrina_Fairchild
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabrina_Fairchild   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sabrina_Fairchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a lot of poppy(seed)cock to me!

Reminds me of that episode of "Rugrats" where Chucky had swallowed a watermellon seed and Angelica told him it would grow and he'd explode.

--------------------
As heard on "Street Smarts":
Q: Chicago has 2 professional baseball teams. The Cubs and....what is the other one? Hint: It's something you probably don't wear a lot.

Girl: Underwear?

Posts: 178 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't imagine that any terrestrial plant would be able to germinate in the intestines. Even if they could, who eats them without chewing? Pieces of a sunflower seed cannot germinate, it would have to be a whole seed.

However, sunflower seed shells (if you eat the shell as well as the inner seed) can cause instestinal problems and impaction.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mandrake
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mandrake   E-mail Mandrake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
During my second year of residency, I was consulted on a patient who had eaten a two-pound bag of sunflower seeds in one sitting and had developed a sunflower seed impaction of his rectum. Several days of mineral oil enemas and manual disimpaction by the medical students finally opened him up.

Right before the patient was discharged from the hospital, the chief resident stopped by to talk to him, and to remind him not to do this again.

He replied: "Don't worry, doc, I'm only gonna eat pumpkin seeds from now on."

Posts: 2 | From: Central Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CatPurrson
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatPurrson   E-mail CatPurrson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
... and then there's the fact that most sunflower seeds sold in the US are roasted (at least the ones I see in stores), so that kills the little sunflower seed embryo. And the GI environment tends not to be hospitable to many organisms.

Aside from allergies, the only other hazard I could think of with sunflower seeds would be for someone with diverticulosis.

CatPurrson

--------------------
People who hate cats may have been rats in a previous life.

Posts: 114 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
I can't imagine that any terrestrial plant would be able to germinate in the intestines. Even if they could, who eats them without chewing? Pieces of a sunflower seed cannot germinate, it would have to be a whole seed.

An don top of that, we're assuming that the seed would be able to survive digestion intact. Would they be considered food if they were indigestible?

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What happens when you swallow a seed?--> http://www.angusoblong.net/books/janet.html
(slightly nfbsk perhaps)

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This just sounds like an Old Wives Tale to me.

I dont' see how a seed can germinate in a stomach full of acids..

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages