snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide
brendaal
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 201 posted      Profile for brendaal   E-mail brendaal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I received this email from my uncle, who's usually very good about not sending on classic UL's. I just wonder if there's any truth to these? Some of them maybe, but all?

"think this has been around before but here it goes again.
Subject: Peroxide Must Read

This is good to know.....

ETA: I did search under several topics for anything about hydrogen peroxide but didn't see anything, but feel free to "chow" me (if I use that term correctly).

"I would like to tell you of the benefits of that plain little O'L
bottle of 3% peroxide you can get for under $1.00 at any drug store. My
husband has been in the medical field for over 36 years, and most
doctors don't tell you about peroxide, or they would lose thousands of
dollars.

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle)
and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. (I do it
when I bathe or shower) No more canker sores and your teeth will be
whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.

2. Let your toothbrushes soak a cup peroxide to keep them free of germs.

3. Clean your counters, table tops with peroxide to kill germs and
leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you
wipe, or spray it on the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to
kill salmonella and other bacteria.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years - until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture
of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let
dry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes
several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal
with any medicine, but was healed by soaking in peroxide.

7. Put two capfuls into a douche to prevent yeast infections. I had
chronic yeast infections until I tried this once or twice a week.

8. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and
keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic
system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.

9. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture
whenever you have a cold, plugged sinus. It will bubble and help to
kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes then blow your nose into
tissue.

10. If you have a terrible toothache and can not get to a dentist right
away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for ten
minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

11. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the
50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You
will not have the peroxide burnt blonde hair like the hair dye
packages, but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown,
faddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually so it's not a
drastic change.

12. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help rid boils,
fungus, or other skin infections.
13. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of
whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing,
pour directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it
and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

I could go on and on. It is a little brown bottle no home should be
without! With prices of most necessities rising, I'm glad there's a
way to save tons of money in such a simple, healthy manner!

Or go to the emergency room & let them make you well"

Posts: 48 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxGunnar   E-mail MaxGunnar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All true, thats how I use it. also there is a few chemistry tricks that are quite entertaining [Wink]
Posts: 283 | From: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of these are pretty good, but some are, well...eh...

quote:
Originally posted by brendaal:
1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle)
and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. (I do it
when I bathe or shower) No more canker sores and your teeth will be
whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.

10 minutes is probably way too long, but 30 seconds would probably do.

If you can get past the taste.

quote:
2. Let your toothbrushes soak a cup peroxide to keep them free of germs.

It'll kill some germs; it doesn't kill tuberculosis spores, for example.

And you'll want to soak those toothbrushes one at a time.

quote:
3. Clean your counters, table tops with peroxide to kill germs and
leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you
wipe, or spray it on the counters.

I think peroxide doesn't smell very good at all, actually. And you have to be careful, because peroxide will bleach that dishrag, and can also bleach some porous surfaces.

quote:
4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to
kill salmonella and other bacteria.

Peroxide will dry out wood. You should moisturize your board with food-safe mineral oil fairly frequently. Even better, use a plastic protector on your wooden board when you cut meat to keep the board free of salmonella, e. coli, and other such bugs.

quote:
5. I had fungus on my feet for years - until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture
of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let
dry.

I've never heard of peroxide's anti-fungal properties, but I can't possibly know everything!

quote:
6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes
several times a day.

If you don't have anything better to do. But, if you have a life, a few seconds should be enough.

quote:
My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal

Gonna have to call BS on that one.

quote:
7. Put two capfuls into a douche to prevent yeast infections. I had
chronic yeast infections until I tried this once or twice a week.

Absolutely not. Douching, generally, is contraindicated.

quote:
8. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and
keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic
system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.

A 10:1 water/bleach solution won't harm septic systems, either. And it doesn't need to be any stronger than that.

quote:
tissue.

Colds aren't caused by bacteria; they are caused by virii. Furthermore, peroxide isn't an antibiotic.

quote:
10. If you have a terrible toothache and can not get to a dentist right
away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for ten
minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

Toothaches can be caused by a variety of things, so there probably isn't a one-size-fits-all solution for them.

quote:
11. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the
50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You
will not have the peroxide burnt blonde hair like the hair dye
packages, but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown,
faddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually so it's not a
drastic change.

Perhaps for people who don't have dark hair.

quote:
12. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help rid boils,
fungus, or other skin infections.

I cannot even begin to imagine how dried out my skin would be if I did this.

quote:
13. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of
whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing,
pour directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it
and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

This I have done, and it works, pretty much. Except that peroxide will react with colors in a manner very similar to bleach.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With a mortar and pestle, grind a little Hydrogen Peroxide, rust flakes, and oak galls, and you will obtain a decent black-brown ink which resists fading even in direct sunlight.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's interesting Silas. I made ink a few years ago and don't remember seeing anyting about Hydrogen peroxide. I wonder if the H2O2 serves the same purpose as the vinegar (or wine)my recipes recommended.
Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
quote:
tissue.

Colds aren't caused by bacteria; they are caused by virii. Furthermore, peroxide isn't an antibiotic.

True, but a simple saline spray up the snoot works well to prevent sinus infections in those of us who are prone to them. But wouldn't H2O2 up the nose sting like hell?

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
#11 will dry out your hair and make it break. I'll trust box dye over peroxide any day.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't use a 50/50 solution of H2O2 on any part of my body, it's a nasty chemical. I don't know what concentration it becomes dangerous in, but you do not want to get 90% H2O2 on your skin.

The best medical use I can think of is to use it as rocket fuel if you need to get to the hospital really fast. It makes a really nice rocket fuel, although you get the problems associated with liquid fuel rockets, so perhaps sugar (RCandy) is better for quick hospital visits.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But Troberg, the OP talks about 3% solution, so a 50/50 mix would dilute to 1.5%. It also isn't a rocket fuel as such, but a very good oxidant.

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the time since this topic was started, snopes and Barbara put up a page on it.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My SIL says the vet told her to use H2O2 to induce vomiting when her dog ate something it shouldn't have. She's done it more than once. Anyone else ever heard of this?

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noysey
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noysey   E-mail noysey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems that if I nick myself while shaving it will help stop the bleeding if I wipe it with a little hydrogen peroxide.
Posts: 161 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
funkyteapots
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 302 posted      Profile for funkyteapots   E-mail funkyteapots   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When the mother of one of my neighbors threw her anti-psychotic medication over our fence (at 5 am, the neighbor waited an hour to tell us about it -- grrr) and one of our dogs ate the pill containers, the emergency vet told us to give the dog about 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide, then to make him run around the yard. Eventually he vomited a lot of white foam, but no pills (the neighbor didn't know how many, if any, were in the bottles). He was/is fine, but definitely was not happy about the experience.

--------------------
Also...I can kill you with my brain. ~River Tam

Posts: 37 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cynestria
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magpie:
#11 will dry out your hair and make it break. I'll trust box dye over peroxide any day.

Commercial hair dyes can also damage your hair, especially if you use them too often, or too close to perms/relaxers. The stronger bleaching kits can really do a number on it.

Also... I just checked the box of hair dye I have, and the developer is largely peroxide. As, I believe, it is in most permanent type dyes. And to lighten your hair, you have to use a permanent dye. So I guess I'm curious why the peroxide in the hair dye you buy from the store would be inherently different from the peroxide you buy in a bottle in the store.

Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cynestria:
Also... I just checked the box of hair dye I have, and the developer is largely peroxide. As, I believe, it is in most permanent type dyes. And to lighten your hair, you have to use a permanent dye. So I guess I'm curious why the peroxide in the hair dye you buy from the store would be inherently different from the peroxide you buy in a bottle in the store.

Because it's part of a formulation developed by professional chemists and is manufactured in a controlled environment, and because that formulation also contains protectants and conditioners. That's my guess.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I use peroxide on my teeth about once a month--as well as with baking soda...

I stick my toothbrush in some peroxide, dip it in some baking soda and brush with it.. It isn't the best tasting at all--but my teeth and tongue are extremely clean afterwards.

The blood one is about the only one I can solidly confirm. It is well known amongst EMT's and CSI's that peroxide will clean blood stains off of just about anything--including clothing. But they use it straight out of the bottle.

There is a test that CSI's use that involves peroxide to determine whether something is blood or not. I cannot remember the exact wording--but something in the blood reacts with something in the peroxide, thus causing the reagents in the blood to stand out. If this happens, we know for certain it is blood.

I also use peroxide to clean any cuts/scrapes the kids and I may get. Skinned knee--just pour the peroxide straight on it--let it bubble then rinse. Do this a few times, then add an antibiotic ointment and a bandaid. Works very well.

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Peroxide is great at bubbling and mechanically cleansing wounds (as long as they are surface only - not puncture wounds). It has limited use as a bacteriocidal agent, since several organisms (notably Staphylococcus sp.) are able to counteract its effects.

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to use it to dry out my skin when I had acne flairups. That or alcohol seems to work well for that

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a co-worker who touts yet another use. He says if you start to come down with a cold, to put a few drops into the ear. It supposedly drains into the eustachean tubes and kills any bug that may have invaded. He got this "remedy" in an email (of course), but tried it and says it works. I'm a bit skeptical, and not about to put anything into my ears that is said to cause cell damage. I just don't see how anything you put into the ears would get past the eardrum unless it is punctured. Not to mention the previously posted facts that it is not antibacterial.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes
several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal

Maybe if you have gangrene and WANT to eat away the flesh, the rotting flesh that is, that might be a good idea, but back when I was a newbie chicken owner and visited the chicken boards a lot, the resident chicken nurse there told us that peroxide was good for cleaning a wound as soon as it happened, but applying it after that would actually retard healing as it would kill the new cells. Triple antibiotic ointment is a much wiser choice for daily dressing. I think she was right.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I occasionally put the stuff in my ears. I don't know if it does any good but I don't think its done any harm. I'll pour a capful in and then lay on my side and it'll sound like my brain is fizzing... realy weird. I'll then sit up and drain it into a paper towel and swab my ear out and it does feel cleaner... however that may just be because I swab it to stop the crack snapple and pop.

I really don't know about hydrogen peroxide. Most things humans use are also used on animals but that's one of the things that's often advised against. There seems to be some concern about cell damage in my wildlife groups.

I do use it for cosmetic reasons at times. Like the person that mentioned using it for shaving mishaps, I've occasionally used it to minimize small cuts and blemishes. But you have to be careful of the white ring it might cause that might be even harder to cover up. Often a plain wet towel to the sore is fairly effective in preventing overly obvious scabbing.

I could go into other personal experiences with the stuff but it would be TMI.

Most people I know don't really see much point in it but if I get a minor cut or something I like to see it fizz. It at least looks like its doing something... some people I know say its killing of cells... it still looks cool. Although I almost always use bactine on my boy... I don't think I peroxided him yet.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizzy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't ever use it on my hair (except when a professional is doing it - my sister is a beautician and when she mixes up hair highlights, she has to put peroxide in it to activate it) but when my hair is really highlighted and my eyebrows seem especially dark, I lighten them with some hydrogen peroxide. It looks pretty natural.
And I love that fizz it makes too, very satisfying. I don't know, but it seems to me it is only killing germ cells, because I used to clean out my belly button peircing with it, and whenever it was infected looking, it would bubble more.

--------------------
"Do you see me now? I'm like a fireball . . . with these shoulder pads I have the strength to destroy villages, homes and crops. GEM SWEATER!"

Posts: 72 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But Troberg, the OP talks about 3% solution, so a 50/50 mix would dilute to 1.5%. It also isn't a rocket fuel as such, but a very good oxidant.
Sorry, I interpreted it differently. I didn't realize the 50/50 was applied to an already diluted H2O2.

Just to make sure, if there is someone else who do the same mistake: 50% H2O2 is bad for you, mkay?

You are correct about the rocket fuel, I was sloppy.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noysey
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noysey   E-mail noysey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When a nurse had to flush out one of my ears because of too much wax buildup she brewed up a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water. I don't remember the proportions she used, but I'd guess it must function as a soap when used for that purpose.
Posts: 161 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hydrogen peroxide solution (3%) is sometimes used to induce vomiting in pets. Previously, ipecac syrup was recommend but this has been found to be ineffective (doesn't work) in many cases and there have been some recent studies that show it may be harmful to their health, so hydrogen peroxide is recommended more often.
However, I would not induce vomiting without consulting a veterinarian or poison control center unless it's some type of food the dog has eaten. Many substances are caustic and inducing vomiting can result in tearing and damage to the stomach and esophagus.

Another use for hydrogen peroxide which hasn't been mentioned in this thread is for getting rid of skunk smell, when mixed with baking soda and dish soap.
I know many people who have used this remedy for their skunked dogs and it's worked great. Worked perfectly on my Golden as well-- after using it she didn't even smell when she later got wet...

If you want the recipe, here's the website of the guy who came up with this mixture:
http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/
It includes the recipe and a FAQ including information on how it works.
The only thing I'd add to the instructions he has is that if you have a darker colored dog, I would rinse promptly rather then letting it soak, and then re-wash if the smell is not gone (rather than leaving the mixture on as the instructions recommend.) A friend of mine left it on her black Labrador's head/neck for about 10-15 minutes and ended up with a chocolate-headed black Lab.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On an animal may be different but was that recipe used on the mythbusters skunky episode? I don't regularly watch it...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I believe they said it worked well ("confirmed.")

Surprisingly though they also said tomato sauce was "plausible." However, I believe they tested with the tomato juice still on the subject (or at least not washed off) so I don't count that as a real test.
What I have heard about tomato sauce is that it masks the skunk smell and/or causes olfactory fatigue. This means the smell will start to show up again after a while (it's not reall gone, it's just either masked or your nose is no longer able to smell it for a while.) This also means anyone who comes in after you use the tomato sauce is likely to still smell the skunk. Plus, it turns light-colored dogs pink. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages