snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » The 'husband stitch'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The 'husband stitch'
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Do you know anything about the so-called "husband stitch" given
to women following an episiotomy? Supposedly, it's an extra stitch used to
sew up the tear that's for her partner's benefit, by making her "tighter."

All I've found while googling is from message boards and what not, either
feminists speaking out against the practice or men bragging about how
their wife got one. So does this actually happen? Do doctors sew up women
tighter than they were before, in order for sex to be more enjoyable for
the husband?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EeyoreCorbie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EeyoreCorbie   E-mail EeyoreCorbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My hubby joked about this with the doc after DS was born. But after thinking about it, it's not just the external that is looser but more the internal muscle structure that has been weakened and stretched. And any docter that would do that at the hubby's request is just setting themselves up for a malpractice suit, and OB/GYN's are already having to be super careful and pay more and more in insurance, seems pretty unlikely to me.

--------------------
It sure is bright in the dark future.
"He carries his anger around like a dead skunk."
Ignorance is sad. Willfull ignorance is bad. Willfully spreading ignorance is evil.

Posts: 95 | From: Washington | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SilvorMoon
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilvorMoon   E-mail SilvorMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*de-lurk*

I've heard of such things - not in terms that they do it purposefully, but that the practitioners used to endorse the benefits of episiotomies in terms of "restoring wives to like-virginal condition". That's probably where the idea got started, or so I'd guess. I am against them, myself, but only for the fact that there's not a lot of proof that they do what they're supposed to do, and there is in fact evidence to suggest that they actually make vaginal tearing worse than it usually is.

Posts: 67 | From: Farmville, Virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it called the husband's knot.

This article refers to it from a first-person perspective.
quote:
I was given a "husband's knot," an extra little stitch in the perineum to make me "a little tighter" than before. (Our sex life was impaired for the next eight months due to this absurdity.)
Besides, what are we who didn't have episiotomies supposed to do?

Eve "I don't really want or need an answer" MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was cut very deeply when I had my DD - in fact, he cut twice (not 2 different ones - cut once, then cut again to make it deeper). I had internal and external stitches and I did end up a little tighter than I was before, but I know it wasn't intentional.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eve MG:
I've heard it called the husband's knot.

This article refers to it from a first-person perspective.
quote:
I was given a "husband's knot," an extra little stitch in the perineum to make me "a little tighter" than before. (Our sex life was impaired for the next eight months due to this absurdity.)
Besides, what are we who didn't have episiotomies supposed to do?

Eve "I don't really want or need an answer" MG

I once read that the "husband's knot" was INTERNAL and the drs would do it if wife OR husband requested...I'm gonna have to look for that source. [fish]

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages