snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » "Chemicals" are bad for you (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Chemicals" are bad for you
radiocerk
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radiocerk   E-mail radiocerk   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some people with an intolerance to wide spectrums of chemicals, called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity or Environmental Illness. Artificial sweetners, fragances of all types, latex, paint, gasoline can all trigger allergy reactions. I'm not sure if I believe, as some do, that eventually everyone's going to DIE if we don't cut out artificial substances from our world, but incense and air freshners trigger my roommates asthma.
Posts: 27 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by radiocerk:
There are some people with an intolerance to wide spectrums of chemicals, called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity or Environmental Illness. Artificial sweetners, fragances of all types, latex, paint, gasoline can all trigger allergy reactions. I'm not sure if I believe, as some do, that eventually everyone's going to DIE if we don't cut out artificial substances from our world, but incense and air freshners trigger my roommates asthma.

And some people keel over and die if they eat peanut butter or get stung by a bee.

Besides, incense and air freshners mostly contain natural substances and as often as not, it is those natural substances that folks are allergic to.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. She is in first year biology in university. Any time I argue with her she points this out. I am a social science student, so I apparently cannot possible be right.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alicia:
I know that people are really stupid about things like this, and make outrageous claims, but that doesn't mean that things like the organic foods movement or probiotics or even all-natural cleaning supplies are stupid fads- they're a lot smarter than saturating your body with manmade crap. It seems to me like every time an artificial chemical/drug is touted as being spectacular, it turns out that it causes some sort of cancer or other illness anyway.

I agree that these movements are not all stupid fads. But, about the link between "artificial" chemicals and cancer or other diseases, I would say that most known carcinogens are natural. So, again, it is not necessarily true that synthetics are more likely to be bad for you.

I think the organic food and anti-GM, etc. movements are nothing more or less than a form of conservatism. That is, dealing with foods the way they have been traditionally dealt with (i.e. "natural" fertilization and pesticides, etc.) is better than doing something new and different. In some cases, this brand of conservatism may indeed be correct so it's certainly nothing to dismiss. That is, when we do things the way we have in the past, we at least have more history and experience to make sure things don't go terribly wrong. (Not to say that they won't. Remember the potato famine?) But I can't help thinking that the first people who cooked food were spat on for "irradiating" the food, for that is what cooking is. (Yes, I know about the "raw food" movement. I think they must be slightly batty, despite the fact that it is a very cool idea and probably fun to try.)

So, if you are a conservative about foods, good for you. But, just like conservativism in politics, it doesn't mean your way will always be the best.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 212 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldCityAlchemist:
I am a chemist, and have been teaching chemistry classes for ten years, and this is a pet peeve of mine....

Firstly, the use of the word "chemical" - absolutely every substance out there is a chemical, even water or air. Calling something a "chemical" does not mean it is artificial or nasty.

Secondly, almost every single chemical produced artificially is found in LARGE AMOUNTS in nature - they are almost all naturally-occurring... Sulfuric acid, for example, is found naturally in the ocean and lakes, particularly near volcanic vents, and is also found in certain living cells.

I think the largest part of this problem comes from the fact that science education amongst the general population in this country is atrocious. People will debate this issue having had absolutely no chemistry education at all, and generally a lack of science knowledge to boot.

The person who made the statement in the OP is also a biology major. She's not uninformed. That is why I mentioned it in the first place. If I thought she was just dumb and didn't have any clue, I wouldn't bother trying to discuss this with her.
Unfortunatly education is no cure for gullibility. People can have the full information to hand but still believe what they are told without question.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes. She is in first year biology in university. Any time I argue with her she points this out. I am a social science student, so I apparently cannot possible be right.

Well, let her know that this biology graduate agrees with the posters here (especially the chemist). First year's should not assume they know everything! Tell her to take some organic (and inorganic) chemistry classes and then get back to you on the subject.

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies:
quote:

Well, let her know that this biology graduate agrees with the posters here (especially the chemist). First year's should not assume they know everything! Tell her to take some organic (and inorganic) chemistry classes and then get back to you on the subject.

James Powell

I think the point should be any basic say for arguments sake 13 year old with the slightest amount of common sense would know how bad the statement is.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honey Bunching Oats
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honey Bunching Oats   E-mail Honey Bunching Oats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife passed this on to me I cut off the rest for the sake of space:

"> *Keep this on the Fridge*
>
> Did You Know That?
>
> Drinking two glasses of* Gatorade* can relieve headache pain
almost
> immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by
>traditional
> "pain relievers."
>
> Did you know that* Colgate* toothpaste makes an excellent salve
>for burns.
>
> Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler
>filled with
> mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously
> strong*Altoids*peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose...."

The subject of the letter was "Home Remides"

I liked the phrase "mysterious chemicals". They're listed on the label. FDA requires that. But then those names are mysterious. Maybe the person who started that e-mail thought chemistry is mysterious. Spelling is mysterious to that person too. Besides who uses an inhaler for a stuffed up nose? Inhalers are for asthma mostly.

I can imagine another instance with this person. "What's saline that's some mysterious chemical. I'll wash my dried nose with salt water instead." This is the kind of person who gets scared from threats about http://snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp

[Big Grin]

Hon "Mysterious Chemist" eyBunching Oats

--------------------
"When we talk about democracy, if the people's stomach is empty, democracy is also empty. Democracy cannot be installed by fiat; it must be achieved by the people themselves." Y.C. James Yen (1893-1990)

Posts: 146 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
As a footnote, there is the related fallacy that factory produced chemicals are somehow "worse" than those made in nature. Barring impurities, chemicals with the exact same structure are the same no matter where they came from

Tell me all about it. The worst offender I've seen so far is the ads for "Pascual Calcio" milk (which I see, judt by Googling, that were denounced by consumers associations). They claim that they're "the only milk with calcium which comes from milk" (and what do they do with the now calcium-less milk, then?).

The first ad was so blatant that I almost fell of the couch. They said "other calcium milks have calcium that doesn't come from milk", with a background where you saw the word "calcium" made with a white powder. Then they said "Pascual is the only one with calcium 100% coming from milk" and the background was now the word "calcium" made with a white creamy goo.

THey never said that this was better but not only they were implying it; with the white powder they seemed to be implying that the "other milks" added calcium by scraping lime from the walls of something.

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NobbyNobbs
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobbyNobbs   E-mail NobbyNobbs   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honeybunching Oats:

>
> Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler
>filled with
> mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously
> strong*Altoids*peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose...."

Ever look at the ingredient list on a package of Altoids?

Here's a related question: It's well known that humans as a species can adapt to "new" foreign invaders: we build up resistance to antibodies and have to create new ones. Can anyone with more expertise than I tell me if we can do the same for all these "artificial chemicals" that the OP complains about? Can the human body, through repeated exposure, "learn" to metabolize these preservatives, etc?

(And by "learn", I don't even meean within one lifetime, necessarily. I'm talking evolution.)

--------------------
Back in the days before electricity, we were forced to watch TV by candlelight.

Posts: 229 | From: Paoli, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ever look at the ingredient list on a package of Altoids?
INGREDIENTS:
SUGAR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, GUM ARABIC, GELATIN, CORN SYRUP, NATURAL FLAVOR.

Seems pretty tame to me.

(At least it's not equal parts bone meal and earwig honey. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mhash1015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mhash1015   E-mail mhash1015   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a chemist in the medical field, and I agree with Alchemist...we owe our life to chemicals!

--------------------
I find it is always easier to ask forgiveness than it is permission!

Posts: 1 | From: Buckholts, Texas | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NobbyNobbs:
Here's a related question: It's well known that humans as a species can adapt to "new" foreign invaders: we build up resistance to antibodies and have to create new ones. Can anyone with more expertise than I tell me if we can do the same for all these "artificial chemicals" that the OP complains about? Can the human body, through repeated exposure, "learn" to metabolize these preservatives, etc?

(And by "learn", I don't even meean within one lifetime, necessarily. I'm talking evolution.)

Yes, unless the chemical is so deadly that it kills 100% of people who are dosed with it. Also, this supposes that it is not removed from the market when it comes to light that this chemical X is killing 50% of the population. Finally, this chemical X would have to kill off the people who use it before they have children. If it kills off pensioners, then it will have little to no effect on evolution.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She is in first year biology in university. Any time I argue with her she points this out. I am a social science student, so I apparently cannot possible be right.
Wow. She is in her first year as a biology student? So she has taken what... a bunch of core 101 courses? You should probably point out to her that being a first year biology student doesn't make her an expert on the digestive system or plant and animal life.

Aside from what everyone else has written here, you might also point out that even most of the "natural" food that we eat has been intentionally changed by humans over thousands of years via selective breeding and grafting. Jared Diamond's book Guns, Germs and Steel spends a good amount of time discussing this. For example, wild almonds contain a deadly amount of cyanide and would kill a human being who ate one. At some point, somebody found an almond tree that was edible -- probably a genetic mutation. Through continuous breeding of that mutation, we have edible almonds. Strawberries were originally small fruits that birds ate. After centuries of selectively breeding the biggest strawberry plants, we created the plump, juicy strawberries we enjoy today.

The fact is, the vast majority of the food we eat today is significantly different from how it occurred in nature. Long before we knew how to manipulate DNA and create chemical compounds to add to food, we were altering the "natural" plants and animals to suit our tastes via other methods.

quote:

amnything that was made that nature did not make itself for reasons obviously because it wasn't evolutionarily beneficial for it to be created for any reason, or else those chemicals would already exist.

This particular statement is so incredibly stupid I don't know where to begin. By this logic, we shouldn't make anything, since if it is really good, it already exists in nature. Bye bye peniccilin, and almost any pharmaceutical you can name.

You should ask her if she ever takes Aspirin for a headache, or cough syrup when she is sick, or Pepto Bismol when she has an upset stomach. If she does, I guess she is damaging her organs.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
According to this site, MSG is in fact a natural ingredient that is 'produced by a fermentation process similar to that used in making beer...', and if you go to this page it tells you that it has been regarded as safe for over 40 years and sits on the same classification level as pepper, sugar, vinegar and baking soda.
MSG is simply the sodium salt of the amino acid glutamic acid and is naturally found in all foods. I routinely measure it in potatoes.

To the OP, your friend is an idiot. She's a first year biology major so she's had maybe three months of introductory lectures? And that makes her an expert?

Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rubber Chicken:
quote:

amnything that was made that nature did not make itself for reasons obviously because it wasn't evolutionarily beneficial for it to be created for any reason, or else those chemicals would already exist.

This particular statement is so incredibly stupid I don't know where to begin. By this logic, we shouldn't make anything, since if it is really good, it already exists in nature. Bye bye peniccilin, and almost any pharmaceutical you can name.

You should ask her if she ever takes Aspirin for a headache, or cough syrup when she is sick, or Pepto Bismol when she has an upset stomach. If she does, I guess she is damaging her organs.

Actually, penicillin occurs naturally in the penicillium mold, aspirin comes from the bark of the willow tree, and bismuth (the active ingrediant in Pepto-Bismol) is a naturally occuring element. [Big Grin]

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by radiocerk:
I'm not sure if I believe, as some do, that eventually everyone's going to DIE if we don't cut out artificial substances from our world, but incense and air freshners trigger my roommates asthma.

Cold air triggers mine.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 607 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, penicillin occurs naturally in the penicillium mold, aspirin comes from the bark of the willow tree, and bismuth (the active ingrediant in Pepto-Bismol) is a naturally occuring element.
Salicin comes from the bark of the willow tree. The drug Aspirin that is sold today is synthetic, and does not come from the willow tree. In fact, it is considered the first synthetic drug, as far as I know. Salicin as it occurs in nature is too acidic for the human body, and causes a lot of digestive problems, so unless you are taking "organic" aspirin, you are taking a drug made of chemicals engineered in the lab. I don't think Bayer has a willow tree farm anywhere [Wink]

Penicillin had to be combined with probenecid originally to be effective, and the naturally ocurring penicillin isn't particularly effective when taken orally. Amoxicillin (which we take for strep throat, amongst other things) is chemically altered to allow it circulate through your body better.

And the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is Bismuth subsalicylate. The bismuth is a naturally occurring element. The salicylic acid, as with aspirin, is made synthetically.

Wise ass. [Big Grin]

On a side note, I have bad memories of Pepto-Bismol from childhood. My mom used to prescribe it as a cure for just about anything. I probably could have come in with a broken leg and she would have given me Pepto-Bismol. Actually, when I had appendicitis, it took me about 4 hours to convince her I had more than just a stomach ache. I vomited up the Pepto Bismol she gave me, which shocked her so bad that she finally took me to the hospital. I guess if Pepto Bismol couldn't cure it, well, we needed a doctor.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rubber Chicken:
For example, wild almonds contain a deadly amount of cyanide and would kill a human being who ate one.

Ahhh. Hence the "slight hint of bitter almonds" thing.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have several degrees in biology and biochemistry type things. Tell her she is wrong from me.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
courier1009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for courier1009   E-mail courier1009   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oxygen.... bad stuff.... If you are looking for a "chemical" that messes with your body look no further.
Posts: 19 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Your body doesn't know how to handle it when you put something chemically unatural that doesn't exist in nature in your body. It wasn't designed to digest it because every species evolves alongside every other. if the chemical doesn't exist in nature there is no reason for human to biologically capable of recognizing the chemical.

'Nature' (in the form of plants that don't want to be eaten and snakes that don't want their prey to get away) is all about an arms race of creating chemicals that humans aren't biologically capable of recognising.

Nature wants you dead.

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an issue with that MSG site. I personally don't ingest the stuff, nor aspartame, and there are, in fact, just as many studies indicating that it's not all teddy bears and rainbows.(go look for your own links, there's tons.) I'm not a chemist. But the natural amount occuring in a potato, I'm thinking, is going to be different in a lot of ways from the concentrated white powder they end up adding to foods that didn't have it in the first place.

Also I notice that the *MSG is good for you* site (heh) is maintained by the MSG folks, so even though it's a dotorg site, I'm thinking that I believe their protestations of harmlessness about as believeable as Monsato or Dow telling us that their pesticides and herbicides never hurt no one. Right.

The reason for MY skepticism is simple. I'm not of the "OMG manmade is ALWAYS bad because MANMADE!!" fallacy -- that clearly is illogical. There's plenty of chemicals, made made or naturally occuring, that are harmless. But there's plenty of them that were created for a primary purpose other than the health of the person consuming it. It may, or may not, be harmful to the health of the consumer. But pretty often it is. Monosodium glutatmate is not added to make anyone healthier. Maybe it's not harmful. Plenty of nutritionists (ones with real degrees, not whackos) disagree. Which "expert opinion" are you going to believe? The ones who produce the chemical in question are immediately suspect in my book.

It boils down to follow the money.

I do eat organic as often as I can. It just tastes better. Real always tastes better. And I'm thinking that the logic behind "prophylactic antibiotics, growth hormones, pesticides, herbicides, artificial color, hydrogenation, artificial flavors, etc are not good for you" just rings more true to me than the arguments from the manufacterors of these products that these substances are all as harmless as pure h20. Whatever. Not for me.

and an aside about processing food - my mom told me WAY back in the early 70's that hydrogenated oils were terrible for you - better off eating real butter. And I've never touched margarine since, or solid shortening, so in addition to enjoying delicious REAL butter (and I have perfect cholesterol levels) all these years, rather than nasty old margarine (ick) now I am vindicated as the mainstream finally has caught on. Hydrogenation is great for the bottom line of the food companies, but bad for my veins.

*firmly tying asbestos bonnet onto head*

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An aside, H2O isn't all that harmless. People, usually kids, have died from water toxicity. Just about anything will kill you if you injest enough of it.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about chromium picolonate. Every orifice. Every day.

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Franny, whaaat?

I've never heard of taking chromium picoolonate any way other than a tablet, what are you referring to? *curious*

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's totally a joke. It's a quote I would think a Texan might get. But maybe you don't watch as much tv as I do.

I'll leave it open to anyone else to guess and if no one chimes in by the end of the day I'll PM you.

--------------------

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Franny:
It's totally a joke. It's a quote I would think a Texan might get. But maybe you don't watch as much tv as I do.

I'll leave it open to anyone else to guess and if no one chimes in by the end of the day I'll PM you.

I live in TX, but have no idea what you're talking about. Tried to google it, and the phrase shows up on a blog, but there's no explanation of it.

[Confused]

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

I'm also a Texan and clueless still. (no cheap shots!)

--------------------

Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Its from my favorite Dale Gribble quote from King of the Hill, "I shall never die. Chromium Picolonate, every orifice, everyday."

I regret I have no cite.

--------------------

LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hydrogenated margerine may be bad, but what about good ol' Becel?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have an issue with that MSG site. I personally don't ingest the stuff, nor aspartame, and there are, in fact, just as many studies indicating that it's not all teddy bears and rainbows.
I don't know alot about the scare factoring of msg and aspartame, but my body simply tells me that it gives me a baaaaad headache if i consume either one. So i try to avoid them at all costs.

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

In addition to being "tasty", "full of natural goodness" and the main reason that babies crave breastmilk, this helpful site also tells us that

"MSG does not cause headache
There are many known 'triggers' for headaches, including diet and stress. A wide range of foods have been implicated as headache triggers. However, a 1990 critical review of the literature on food-triggered headaches (Food triggered migraine: a critical review. Annuls of Behavioural Medicine, 12:51-651, 1990) concluded that the relationship is controversial. The review states that there is no evidence to support an association between MSG and migraine headaches."

So you must be having imaginary headaches, I guess. Or whenever you have eaten it, by coincidence, unknown to you, someone hit you on the head and that was the actual cause of your headaches.

--------------------

Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Franny:
What about chromium picolonate. Every orifice. Every day.

Or a big, fat placebo. It's all the same crap.

Natural chemicals are always best:
Wolfsbane - the all-natural solution to the problem of life!

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Umm, chiming in a little late, but in regard to the connection between MSG and headaches, not to mention the home "remide" that Gatorade will cure a headache: DEHYDRATION causes headaches. MSG, as someone else mentioned, dessicates things. I suspect some people might be more sensitive to this effect than others, and as well, some more prone to headaches than others. If your headache is caused by dehydration, Gatorade may well fix you up. For that matter, water probably will help as well. If your headache is caused by a viral infection, or a blow to the noggin, I doubt Gatorade will help.

Incidentally, this is the connection between headaches and alcohol consumption; overindulgence causes dehydration, causes headache. I learned back in college that drinking lots of water along with alcohol prevented any next-day headache.

I also drink lots of water with Chinese food, which tends to be salty even when cooked without MSG, and avoid headaches this way. I am prone to headaches, and get them otherwise from salty food.

My husband has a full, complete degree in biology, and I have a degree in English, but read a lot of science. I, and my husband, fully agree with the idea that every chemical, whether manufactured in a lab or an apple seed, needs to be evaluated in and of itself. There's very little that can be generalized about either "natural" or "man-made" chemicals.

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages