snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Lemon water "flushes out the toxins"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lemon water "flushes out the toxins"?
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had a couple of people at work who, when they notice I'm yawning (generally because I'm sleep deprived a lot of the time, being a college student) tell me I should drink lemon water in the morning. One woman said it would flush out the toxins that build up in my body overnight. Other people say it really works to revitalize and wake one up.

Where's the science behind this? Sure, lemon water would wake me up, but only because the horrible taste of it would sear across my tastebuds. You know what else would wake me up? Stubbing my toe, but no one is advocating that.

Does this have any truth to it? I'm shelving it with the person who said I should go on a fast only eating maple syrup and lemons, because it'll cleanse my liver.

Aimee "The only thing I cleanse is my skin. With soap." Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EmeraldCityAlchemist
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldCityAlchemist   E-mail EmeraldCityAlchemist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a scientist, I can tell you without doing any further research that this is a bunch of hooey. Your body does not "build up toxins" while you sleep any more than it should - it has a liver to remove toxins that are naturally produced by the body during metabolism. Lemon juice does nothing except provide a few more naturally-occurring toxins (which your liver handles with aplomb). While it is most certainly a refreshing beverage, it has no health benfits other than providing you with a small dose of vitamin C.

And nothing, NOTHING, cleanses your liver except time. And drinking plenty of water every day.

I've found many people will make claims like this when they don't know squat about the human body, cellular respiration, etc... If anyone ever includes the phrase "cleanses toxins from the body" as a health benefit, that's a pretty good hooey-warning for me.

--------------------
I wish I knew what the hell I was doing.

Posts: 47 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried lemon water for a week- the juice of 2 or 3 lemons in about 2 quarts of water. Yes, it was a little sour, but not bad. You get used to it.

I don't know much about this cleansing stuff, so I will agree with the scientist, it is probably mostly hooey, if not all hooey.

But it did encourage me to drink more water, so I was definitely not dehydrated, and I think it was helping me lose some weight (extra water can do that) and it definitely had one benefit - I was far less likely to go out and buy a coke or other soft drink. One thing it will supposedly do is lower your desire for sugar, and that does seem to have been the effect for me. Mr. Alchemist may say it was psycological, but I think otherwise.

In any case, it's cheap, it's harmless, it gets you to drink more plain old water (which we Americans often don't get enough of), it gives you some vitamin c, and it may help keep you away from the soft drinks and high fructose corn syrup. Will it wake you up, give energy? Well, there is some natural sugar in lemons, so maybe.

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ Lemon Alien
quote:
Originally posted by Aimee Evilpixie:
Sure, lemon water would wake me up, but only because the horrible taste of it would sear across my tastebuds.

Gee, what's wrong with the taste of lemon water? I think it's rather nice. It's zingy!

But no, it doesn't cleanse toxins. Though I imagine the citric acid has astringint qualities that whould help with any early morning "trench mouth" problems.

Horse "Zing!" Chestnut

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If lemon water has the effect the OP claims it has, it probably has to do with providing much-needed hydration in the morning. The lemon is there to make the water more palatable, not to cleanse toxins.

- Pseudo "someone sold you a lemon" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages