snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Pain associated with old injuries and weather?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pain associated with old injuries and weather?
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that it's an old topic, and I'm pretty sure that it's NOT just a UL, so I'm wondering WHY.

Why is it that when the weather changes, old injuries start aching?

[ 31. January 2006, 05:23 AM:   snopes ]

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Scientists still mulling causes of weather-related pain
quote:
... a lot of research has gone into trying to figure out exact scientific mechanisms that bring about this kind of weather-related pain. Currently, however, none of the studies have produced any cohesive explanation, though one factor these studies have in common is linking pain to changing air (barometric) pressure.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, okay. Thanks. It just bugs me that I'm aching for some reason or another.

Mickey "Ooh, my aching joints" is a Gyrl

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah... I have heard that, especially in arthritic joints, a sudden change in temperature or pressure can cause already inflamed tissues to either painfully swell or else shrink so that there is insufficient cushioning in the joints. Usually, people who have pain when it rains is because of a change in pressure.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just old injuries and osteoarthritis, either. A good friend of mine and her daughter both have rheumatoid arthritis, and rainy days tend to be bad days for them.

A former boss of mine and his wife relocated from Seattle to Las Vegas because the cold wet winters made her arthritis (rheumatoid, I think) so painful. The last time I talked to them, she felt much better in the desert.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mickey is a gyrl:

Boy, if you have aching joints at 21, I wonder what will happen to you at umm.. 34??

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Oh, my orthopedic surgeon has already told me that I might need to have part of one knee replaced by the time I'm 50.
Let's make it more "fun" by the fact that my seasonal job involves a lot of excess weight (try lugging around a 35 lb costume with a diameter of 64", when you're 60" tall), in a locale that is EXTREMELY humid during the summer. Ooh I love me some aching joints...

YAY Centreville, by the way. I'm from Herndon!

--------------------

Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Constant aches at 21 could be fibromyalgia or tendonitis. Unless it *is* definitely old injury and weather.
Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a plate in my wrist due to a broken bone (Bartons fracture)from a RTA. Whever the temp changes dramatically , it aches painfully for several days.

Dear Weather Gods
Jan is a cold month please return sub-zero temps or else...

Sharon

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
It's not just old injuries and osteoarthritis, either. A good friend of mine and her daughter both have rheumatoid arthritis, and rainy days tend to be bad days for them.

My hands and feet get bad when there are pressure changes and along with that I get sinus pressure. I feel like a flippin' barometer sometimes.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Samantha Vimes:
Constant aches at 21 could be fibromyalgia or tendonitis. Unless it *is* definitely old injury and weather.

Let's see...dislocated pinkie (colorguard), sprained ring finger, broken middle finger (ring and middle caused by door slamming on hand), sprained thumb (colorguard), fractured elbow(schoolyard accident)...
And regarding the knees alone, I have Plica Syndrome in both knees, however I am now without a medial plica in either knee because the knee surgeries (they were so torn up from the cartilage in my kneecaps being so jagged due to chondromalacia)
Ah, and to think- I used to be a ballet and jazz dancer...

--------------------

FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
quote:

Boy, if you have aching joints at 21, I wonder what will happen to you at umm.. 34??
Here's a little glimpse into a possible future... [Wink]

I'm 36 and some days I can't walk without a cane. I also have near-constant pain from arthritis that affects my regular day-to-day activities and requires Vicodin just so I can be bleary enough for sleep. Nothing ever really gets rid of the pain. Vicodin takes the edge off and makes me sleepy so I can at least sleep through it.

On the pain scale- 1 being mild and 10 being severe- my regular "good" days are a four or five. Last night I was in so much pain that I was crying in bed. And that's just a regular day. Any day that requires a lot of walking (grocery shopping days etc), I go to bed much earlier and I take a little more pain drugs.

Frog-I blame sports and heredity-Feathers

ETA: Rheumatoid and osteo arthritis(arthritie?) runs in my family. My grandmother was in a wheelchair by the time she was 45.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 96 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got my very first migraine, complete with blurry vision, nausea and tingly numbness on one side of my face, on a day when temperatures went from a water-logged 32 degrees centigrade in the morning to a crisp 20 in late afternoon. I've had migraines since, but none of them have been as violent - or indeed, as scary. I thought I was having a stroke or something... [Roll Eyes]

My downstairs neighbour has fibromyalgia, as does her older sister. They're both under thirty. While it's highly probable that the weather somehow affects how bad things get, the correlation isn't so clear that they can use weather forecasts to predict how they'll feel.

If anyone on here knows a bit more about fibromyalgia: how common is dizziness and nausea, and is there anything that could help? From what I've seen in my neighbour, the pain isn't half as incapacitating as teetering on the brink of dry heaves for hours at a time.

Blue "Under pressure - doo doo doo dah dah doo doo" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Welcome to the board!! There are quite a few of us from Nothern Virginia area here.

Psst.. You might want to update your location in your profile. snopes has strict rules about putting wrong location in the profile

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
quote:

Welcome to the board!! There are quite a few of us from Nothern Virginia area here.

Psst.. You might want to update your location in your profile. snopes has strict rules about putting wrong location in the profile

Psst...just because I'm FROM Herndon doesn't mean that's where I'm currently located. My location changes three ways, depending on where I am. If I'm at school (like now), it's Radford, if I'm at home, it's Herndon, if I'm at work, it's Orlando, FL.

--------------------

FrogFeathers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Byrd:

If anyone on here knows a bit more about fibromyalgia: how common is dizziness and nausea, and is there anything that could help? From what I've seen in my neighbour, the pain isn't half as incapacitating as teetering on the brink of dry heaves for hours at a time.

Here is a site that explains some stuff about Fibromyalgia. Its by a woman who has it, not a doctor, but it has some good information. I gave the same link to a friend who was newly diagnosed with it and it helped her ask the right questions when she went back to the doctor.

--------------------
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sabrina_Fairchild
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabrina_Fairchild   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sabrina_Fairchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone here think that the type of injury matters in a moment like this? To me, it seems like most bone injuries or joint disorders are the ones that are most reported in cases like this. My father had a cyst on his ankle bone that ate a hole in it and had to be removed and he could tell when the weather was changing a lot more than with just his back injury. Any thoughts?
Geni

--------------------
As heard on "Street Smarts":
Q: Chicago has 2 professional baseball teams. The Cubs and....what is the other one? Hint: It's something you probably don't wear a lot.

Girl: Underwear?

Posts: 178 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

My shoulder doesn't bother me when the weather is nasty.

On the other hand, my pinkie hurts when it's going to get REALLY cold and dry up, and my knees hurt when it's going to warm up and/or get really humid (rain, mugginess, whatever)

So maybe it does have some impact *shrugs*

--------------------

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I injured a tendon in my foot several months ago (I fell up the stairs...nope, didn't fall down the stairs like anyone can do...I fell up the stairs...I'm telling you, I just have a special gift or something...) and during the last 48 hours, when the barometric pressure here was changing a LOT, my foot was hurting a lot, after not hurting at all for at least a month. And no, I hadn't done any excercise of any nature that would have caused that.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

I've fallen up stairs before. During a show! But no one said "Good luck" to me before the show, so maybe that's why I only got a laugh, instead of an injury.

--------------------

FrogFeathers

My oldest injury is a pinky break and it rarely hurts anymore (I was 11 years old). But I think its mostly "out-pained" by the other problems I have. The docs tested my for Rheumatoid arthritis (mostly in my hands) and that pain is quite intense. My pinky finger doesn't stand a chance against it.

Then of course, there's my knees and lower back, but that's another whole problem.

Frog-I've fallen up the stairs before too, injured my wrist-Feathers

--------------------

Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sabrina_Fairchild:
To me, it seems like most bone injuries or joint disorders are the ones that are most reported in cases like this.

In the case of rheumatoid arthritis your immune system going after the tissue that lines the joint, the synovium, and causing it to be inflamed. They believe the barometric pressure is effecting the synovial fluid in the joint causing it to put additional pressure on the synovium causing more inflammation and pain.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Byrd:

My downstairs neighbour has fibromyalgia, as does her older sister. They're both under thirty. While it's highly probable that the weather somehow affects how bad things get, the correlation isn't so clear that they can use weather forecasts to predict how they'll feel.

Dizziness has several possible causes, ranging from crystalization of fluid inside the inner ear to pressure on the inner ear from allergies (mold especially causes swelling in the eustachian tube) or muscle tension (this can be broken by deliberately yawning until the jaw relaxes), to visual vertigo to ear infections.
The nausea could be triggered by severe enough vertigo, at which point it becomes motions sickness, or the smooth muscles of their digestive tract may be refusing to work in proper sequence. Ginger or chamomile tea may be soothing. They also may have senstitivity to certain foods-- only by carefully examining likely causes will they diagnose themselves. Of course, a doctor's opinion is worth getting, but patients tend to know their bodies better than their doctors do when it comes to chronic conditions. They would know that-- it usually takes years to get a diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

Yes, I have it. So does my husband.

Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I injured my right knee at a job years ago. It swelled to about twice normal size before it started getting better. I couldn't walk very far for about a week during the worst period. Anyways, the end result is that it aches like a sore tooth whenever it feels really "damp" outside. It will also ache sometimes if there's a sudden, bitter cold snap.

There's one funny thing I need to mention, though. I did something to my shoulder as a kid that damaged it so bad that I couldn't raise my left arm for two weeks(did I mention I never go to icky hospital things when I hurt myself? I only go if I'm dying). Now, this injury HAD to be worse than the knee because of the limited mobility and whatnot. The weird part is that I never get aching in that shoulder.

Oh, well. My two pennies.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have bad knees because of heredity, which have been aggravated due to my job. They used to swell up before rain, but since it hasn't really rained in 3 months, all they do is crackle.

My K9 has hip dysplasia, and her performance does go down when fronts are coming in. She is a little slower moving, can't make jumps as easily, and drags her foot more (I can hear the nails scrape the pavement). I have her on Cosequin DS daily and Deramaxx for the pain.

Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had rheumatoid arthritis in my knees since I was 3 years old. On the upside, thanks to them, I'm more reliable than the weather man. If I get a certain type of pain, then I know it will rain within 24 hours, and usually within 12. Some people in my office actually make weekend plans based on my knees. [Wink]

My brother, the ex-bullrider and always cowboy, has had numerous, and I mean numerous broken bones (jaw, cheekbone, collar bone, arm, pelvis, ribs, so on and so forth). He tends to have general aches and pains, but they don't seem to be quite the weather predictors my knees are. Of course, it could be because there's so darned many areas to be aggravated....

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So why do scars ache when it rains?

I have a few scars, and they tingle when it rains. My tattoos as well, though I guess technicly they are scars as well.

..oddly enough they also tingle when I pee, but that doesn't have much to do with the weather.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
p-man
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man   E-mail p-man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The area around a couple of scars I have tighten up when it rains; one is an appendectomy scar and the other is a scar on my hand from an unfortunate kitchen knife accident. My joints creak and crack, but that's probably from 25 or so years of regular running.

--------------------
"What's my ultimate authority? My mind!"- Dr. Elvin Overton

Posts: 12 | From: Maryland | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages