snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Thanksgiving - busiest day of year for emergency rooms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thanksgiving - busiest day of year for emergency rooms?
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heard it today on the radio, repeated as fact.

Sort of makes sense, when you consider the amount of cooking that goes on and the possibility of kitchen accidents.

Anyone know if it's really true?

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a Google search and only found a few sites mentioning this, none with cites or anything that sounded convincing.

I tend not to believe any of those "_____ day is the busiest day for _____" stories I hear. Mostly because I can't imagine anyone feeling the need to actually go through the records and count.

It's probably more along the lines of an emergency room worker not wanting to be there, anxious to get home to family, getting frustrated by all the people and thinks "It's so busy today. Thanksgiving must be the busiest day in here!" Then they repeat it to friends, etc.

But that's just my theory, no proof or anything.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can tell you from experience.. Thanksgiving is NOT the busiest day of the year for emergency rooms. In fact, it's often a very slow day. It tends to pick up in the late evening/early next morning as people who have overeaten and having chest pains from it come in thinking they're having heart attacks.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And don't forget the burn victims who tried to deep-fry their turkey. I've heard, but never found evidence, that there are more fires on Turkey Day, too; both for the deep fryers and just conventional accidents.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Best I can find is National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2002 Emergency Department Summary from US CDC.
quote:
[Data] indicate that illness visits peaked on Monday and then declined throughout the week, and the distribution of injury visits was more even.
What's somewhat interesting was a survey in Jordan showing that visits were most frequent on Saturday--in each case, the day after the most common Sabbath.

Anecdotally, I foung osme interviews with EMTs or ER people naming some local festival as the busiest day.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages