snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Aspartame (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Aspartame
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This probalby belongs in rantidote: I am a devout drinker of diet coke and have pretty much gotten used to the "aspertame is toxic" lectures from my family. But now my boss preaching a whole new gospel: the new lore is that aspetame causes a chemical reaction with aluminum in the cans that when drank in quantity causes an electrical short in the brain that eventually leads to alzheimer's! I know it's been covered, we've been over it but I've just got to vent.

[ 24. December 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: snopes ]

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I quit worrying about aspartame when I saw they put it in Pedialite. If it's in something the dr tells me to give my three week old daughter, it can't be that big a deal.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gooti
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've heard the rumors about aluminum but not aspartame specifically, and definitely not a combo of the two.

Here are some answers from the Facts for Health FAQ:

quote:
Does the artificial sweetener aspartame cause Alzheimer's disease?
A myth has arisen regarding aspartame. Artificial sweeteners, the main source of aspartame, are alleged by some to cause memory loss. Numerous careful studies in animals and humans have found no scientific evidence that aspartame causes memory loss or Alzheimer's disease.

And...

quote:
Is there a connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease?
Some metals, such as mercury and lead, are known to cause brain injury. This has triggered speculation about other metals, particularly aluminum, causing Alzheimer's disease (AD). Everyone's brain contains tiny amounts of aluminum. Aluminum is concentrated in plaques and tangles in AD brains. Most experts believe that aluminum is harmless, but some suggest aluminum may be involved in Alzheimer's disease in some way. It could be that aluminum buildup occurs after Alzheimer's disease damages nerve cells rather than aluminum being the cause of damage to nerve cells.

Arguments suggesting that aluminum may play some role in the development of Alzheimer's disease include aluminum's role in reactive oxygen species (also called free radicals). We form free radicals in our bodies throughout life. Usually the cells in the body deactivate these toxic particles. Excess free radicals damage proteins and are implicated in several diseases. In Alzheimer's disease, these free radicals may damage nerve cells. Aluminum changes the functioning of enzymes in the central nervous system. Some studies have shown that high concentrations of aluminum in drinking water are associated with increased risk of Alzheimer's disease. In contrast to this concern, careful studies have shown that regular use of antacids that contain vastly greater amounts of aluminum than water are not associated with increased risk of Alzheimer's disease.

It's easy to see how myths could occur about increased risk of AD from exposure to aluminum or food cooked in aluminum utensils. Stated simply, the amount of exposure to aluminum from cooking utensils, antacids or deodorants is not enough to cause Alzheimer's disease.

I haven't seen anything that adddresses the comination of the two, but, it doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 09 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I heard about unwanted side effects to aspartame is that it can give you the runs if ingested in sufficient quantities...

Blue "Outta my way or you'll be SORRY!" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Byrd in a pear tree:
All I heard about unwanted side effects to aspartame is that it can give you the runs if ingested in sufficient quantities...

Hm. Only artificial sweetener I knew of with a specific warning about having a laxative effect is sorbitol.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Apparitia Kissing Santa Claus

I learned (or was told) in a Drugs & Behavior class, that when you ingest aspartame, your body breaks it down into what is basically formaldehyde. We had to memorize the steps involved in this reaction. If I can't find anything online, I'm going to go home and dig up the information I have from the class.

quote:
Originally posted by Apparitia Kissing Santa Claus:
I learned (or was told) in a Drugs & Behavior class, that when you ingest aspartame, your body breaks it down into what is basically formaldehyde. We had to memorize the steps involved in this reaction. If I can't find anything online, I'm going to go home and dig up the information I have from the class.

here

here

and here

ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
here

here

and here

These read like tinfoil hat conspiracies. Monsanto paying off the AMA??

Are there any more credible sites out there?

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

I'm looking...most of them seem to go over the average person's (myself included) head.
mystic burrito
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 37 posted      Profile for mystic burrito     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ me drinking diet-rite

quote:

"sufficient quantities" ? I eat one sugar free mint and I'm on the pot for a day and a half. The only non-sugar sweetener I can have is Splenda and it leaves a too-sweet aftertast in my mouth.

Tina

Posts: 135 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We had the formaldehyde discussion a while back, over the summer IIRC. That is the UL "warning" I get from my brother and other members of my family. No amount of debunking will convince him otherwise.

The aluminum thing was new to me, which is the "Again" portion of the thread title.

El "it can't be worse than the calories" Wood

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CatPurrson
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 209 posted      Profile for CatPurrson   E-mail CatPurrson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that a sugar-free candy cane?

My mom took care of a woman whose mother swore that aspartame was just the same as sugar and would raise your blood sugar. She insisted her (diabetic) daughter drink only Diet-Rite. [Roll Eyes] And regular Coke. [Roll Eyes]

As far as sugar-free candy, I doubt it's the aspartame that causes diarrhea. Though stranger things have happened... My guess is that the candy probably contains a sugar alcohol (such as mannitol or sorbitol) and they're frequently the culprits. IIRC, the buggers are hydrophilic and increase the water content of the bowel. Hope that's not TMI?

It took me forever (it seemed) to get used to drinking diet soda. I still haven't found a cola that "tastes right". Love my Caffeine-Free Diet Dr Pepper! [Big Grin]

Great, now I'm thirsty. [lol]

CatPurrson

--------------------
People who hate cats may have been rats in a previous life.

Posts: 114 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 37 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most artificially sweetened confectionery in Australia carried the warning "Excess consumption may have a laxative effect", but I think it could be sorbitol that does it - and I learnt that the hard way as a teenager after scoffing an entire roll of mints!

The only instance where consuming aspartame does have serious health consequences is for those who have phenylketonuria (PKU)

This at least was a rational aspartame site which does briefly mention the PKU connection.

Little "sweet tooth" Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cstam1979

First what kind of mother would insist their diabetic (high blood sugar) drink regular coke. Thats just plain stupid. She would rather her daughter drink 8 tsp of sugar than what amounts to a harmless amount of aspertame. Diabetes means that the pancreas does not create the chemical needed to even out the blood sugar level. For that matter I couldn't have regular coke when I was diagnosed Hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) I had to avoid sugar completely. As far as aspartame goes there was a concern over it a while back over this same concern however it was some nonsense about wood alcohol in it. This was changed. They also at one time said it could cause cancer in large enough doses my mother and I figured out for that to happen you would have to drink over 800 cans a day for this to occur. I don't know how we figured this out but we did. So there is no need to worry about aspartame as its a harmless chemical. However I hope that the Diabetic dauger drinks more diet rite than coke. Drinking too much sugar could kill her.
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am extremely jealous of the CatPurrson, because caffeine-free Diet Dr. Pepper is not available here, only high-test DDP.

Bummer.

Four Five Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ali Gator
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Ali Gator         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still up in the air about aspartame. Since I am on a sugar-restricted diet, this subject interests me. I've read both good and bad about aspartame; one week there are reports that it's OK, the next week I read about the dangers of it. But I recently came across a site that claims it can cause breast enlargement in men. This has to be the strangest claim I've seen yet!

-

The Birth Of The 44 DD's

Posts: 63 | From: Iowa | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cstam1979

I don't think this is a true story about the 44DD boobs on a guy. Aspartame doesn't harm the internal organs in any way. There are other things we eat that also are converted into Formaldehyde. It does not harm the nerves in any way either. As far as his web site thepentagram.com. It sounds like a satanist site. Aspartame is simply a sweetener used instead of sugar in diet drinks. Don't believe the link because it is untrue.
JR
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for JR   E-mail JR       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by For Wonko: ULTRAGOTHA:
Monsanto paying off the AMA??

Why not, they got the FDA..

Serriously, Monsanto is the company that thinks that a few months of feeding something to fish is sufficient to demonstrate it's safety to humans. Do NOT turn your back on Monsanto.

Anyway, yes, formaldehyde is a proven byproduct of aspartame. Even better is the fact that it isn't a diet product, as your body thinks it's got carbs, releases the insulin. No carbs? You get hungry.

Pick a different sweetener, that stuff's no good.

--------------------
Semper ubi sub ubi

Posts: 1175 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc Savage

Icon 604 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here.

http://www.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=000225

And here.

http://www.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=000175

I hope the links still work.

Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ me if I have any aspartame at all

I too can only have Splenda fake sugar, but I love it, because it means that I can drink the Hansen's Diet Sodas, and also some fruit flavored waters that they sell at Costco(don't remember the brand name right now)

I quit the aspartame on the advice of my doctor because I get really really debilitating migraine headaches and aspartame is known to be a trigger for some people.
Anyways it tastes bitter. And now that I have been off the aspartame for 2 years, I feel better.
Also, aspartame is made up of two linked amino acids, which are naturally occuring in other food that we eat. It is probably not toxic to normal healthy people, but people with liver and kidney damage are not supposed to drink sodas, but it might be because of the sodium or something else in soda, because I don't think it is specifically diet soda.
Does anyone know about this?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smart Arse
Ceylon Sailor

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Smart Arse         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does it seem that EVERY artificial sweetener (not just aspartame) supposedly harms your health. Sites such as this one describe the many evils of such "toxic" substances. The claim is that they are not harmful in the short term, but long term studies of "chronic" effects are inadequate or nonexistent. Sometimes I wonder if our mistrust of all things "artificial" or "chemical" leads to paranoia.

Smart "I'm not fat, I'm just aspartame intolerant" Arse [Big Grin]

--------------------
Smart "Tired of concocting clever middle names" Arse :D

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo Baggins

Posts: 152 | From: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christopher
Peruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Christopher   Author's Homepage   E-mail Christopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smart Arse:
Why does it seem that EVERY artificial sweetener (not just aspartame) supposedly harms your health. Sites such as this one describe the many evils of such "toxic" substances. The claim is that they are not harmful in the short term, but long term studies of "chronic" effects are inadequate or nonexistent. Sometimes I wonder if our mistrust of all things "artificial" or "chemical" leads to paranoia.

Smart "I'm not fat, I'm just aspartame intolerant" Arse [Big Grin]

Yes it does lead to paranoia. I especially like people who refuse to touch "anything with chemicals." Uh, yeah. That would petty much leave, oh, I don't know...VACUUM?!

And of course the fact is that everything is harmful to us. And if there is something that has not yet had studies showing it to be harmful, then that very fact means that it could be harmful and we don't know it. Remember NASA's " Killer Tomatoes " experiment?
quote:
The gardening experiment made national news two weeks ago when a memo written by a consultant to NASA's school programs leaked to the press with its comment that the seeds might produce poisonous fruit.

"There is a remote possibility that radiation-caused mutations could cause the plants to produce toxic fruit," according to the memo written by Nelson Ehrlich, associate director of the aerospace education services program at Oklahoma State University.

The seeds were exposed to cosmic rays in space, where radiation levels are higher than those on Earth. The news reports caused several schools to drop the experiment.

--------------------
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." ~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Posts: 1382 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daphodil
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Daphodil   E-mail Daphodil   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm not sure what sufficient quantities are, but I know that's my reaction whenever I have any artificial sweetener, even just a little (such as a piece of sugar-free gum or the couple of sips of soda that tell me it's diet instead of regular).

Daph (too much information) odil

--------------------
Life is simple. People make it less so.

Posts: 55 | From: Midwest | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theloneabalone
Xboxing Day

Icon 304 posted      Profile for theloneabalone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aspartame will only be a dangerous sweetener for people with phenylketonuria, which is a genetic disorder that affects your phenylalanine hydroxylase, an enzyme that breaks down excess phenylalanine. eating anything rich in phenylalanine, that just so happens to be an aminoacid, and thus present in most protein foods, causes an accumulation of phenylalanine that could become toxic for the phenylketonuric.

for 99% of the population, aspartame should be safe.

plus, why talk about it, when you can click and read.

--------------------
num, me vexo?

Posts: 1299 | From: . | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StarlandVocalBand

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have known people who experienced mild allergic-type reactions after ingesting aspartame, from stomach pains/diarrhea to headaches.

Doesn't mean it's a DEADLY POISON! of course--you should see what happens to me when I eat strawberries (icon above depicts me hiding my puffy red face under a bag).

Margali

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseanne Roseanna-Banana:
But I recently came across a site that claims it can cause breast enlargement in men. This has to be the strangest claim I've seen yet!

-

The Birth Of The 44 DD's

ROTFLMAO
being the possessor of a personal pair of 44DD 'tracts of land', he is full of it. the 44 refers to the diameter of the barrel of the chest at the place the bra strap goes around, the DD portion describes the thickness of the tissue filling the cups...essentially a DD cup us about 4.5 inches of tissue depth. i think those are much closer to a C cup...

Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JR:
Do NOT turn your back on Monsanto.

That would be difficult since since I have to drive right by their headquarters to get to work. lol
Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bratling
Silence of the Clams

Icon 01 posted      Profile for bratling   E-mail bratling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I must be really lucky, I drink about 6 diet Cokes a day with no problems (I'm sure my kidneys will hate me later for that!) and 2 yogurts - fat-free with Aspartame a day as well. I have no problems what-so-ever.

Now - if I eat a cheese that is yellow I blow up like a ballon.

ETA: .. a really important making sense word

Posts: 1141 | From: TamperBay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muck
The First USA Noel

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Muck   Author's Homepage   E-mail Muck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fat free Coke? What'll they think of next?

Muck

Posts: 749 | From: Lebanon, OR | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bratling
Silence of the Clams

Icon 01 posted      Profile for bratling   E-mail bratling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muck:
Fat free Coke? What'll they think of next?

Muck

I meant yogurt! I just.. totally forgot the word [Razz]
Posts: 1141 | From: TamperBay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 99 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of the Snopes page about apple seeds causing cyanide poisoning. (http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp) Like it says, a lot of foods contain chemicals that are bad, but I don't hear anyone saying that we need to stop eating apples. I think the whole aluminum-aspartame thing is another scare tactic put out by who knows. I also remember hearing way back at the beginning of the aspartame debate that the amounts of aspartame that caused cancer in rats was more than a human would ever be able to consume in one day, like hundreds of cases of diet soda, but I can't back that up. I think if you're drinking hundreds of cases of diet soda a day, you have bigger problems than aspartame cancer.
Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orlandoite

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just came back from my doctor this morning (a D.O.) and she advised me to STOP drinking diet coke and any product with aspartame. She told me they have medical reports advising them to tell their patients to stop. She specifically mentioned brain problems. That's enough for me to STOP!
gothixgirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gothixgirl   E-mail gothixgirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my sister and i went into a diner while in Toronto and the waitress gave us a 10 minute lecture when we ordered diet cokes. She said the aspartame made her epilepsy a lot worse..she then said "so do you still want them, and we both said yep" my sis added "oh i only drink it every once in a while, ha! she goes through 12 cans in 2 days! thr drinks we got were so watered down,just tasted like bar mix.
Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PhiloPharynx
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhiloPharynx   E-mail PhiloPharynx   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orlandoite:
I just came back from my doctor this morning (a D.O.) and she advised me to STOP drinking diet coke and any product with aspartame. She told me they have medical reports advising them to tell their patients to stop. She specifically mentioned brain problems. That's enough for me to STOP!

Did she show you the reports? Or cite references? Also, were those early reports? Did they have any confirmation? That's the reason we have the "It's dangerous one week and safe the next" syndrome. People love to take early or isolated findings without considering the whole body of work.

quote:
Originally posted by gothixgirl:
my sister and i went into a diner while in Toronto and the waitress gave us a 10 minute lecture when we ordered diet cokes. She said the aspartame made her epilepsy a lot worse..she then said "so do you still want them, and we both said yep" my sis added "oh i only drink it every once in a while, ha! she goes through 12 cans in 2 days! thr drinks we got were so watered down,just tasted like bar mix.

I hope you didn't tip well!
Posts: 64 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soprych
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soprych   E-mail Soprych   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If someone with a seizure disorder is reactive to asperatame, it does not always mean that large amounts of asperatame as involved.

I experienced a significant increase in the number and severity of seizure activity when I began taking a fiber supplement that contains aspertame. Did not read the label, did not know it as in there.

My brother can drink cases of diet soda daily and have no problems.

I have seen no documentation that would lead me to believe aspertame "gives you" seizure disorders but I personally need to avoid it and know a few others that do as well.

Posts: 8 | From: Van Buren, Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages