snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Ear Candles?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ear Candles?
Faeriefeet
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Faeriefeet   E-mail Faeriefeet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me first say that I am a fairly heavy user of ear candles. Everytime I get sick or my sinuses just don't feel right or my ears won't stop popping or ringing, I go buy ear candles. My dad always told me I was crazy for sticking a burning piece of waxy paper in my ears and then he got into it big time a few months ago. I mean, whether or not he feels like he needs it, he gets his ears candled every weekend and pays a lot of money for it, too.

So when he asked me to do a little research on them to find out how they worked, I said "sure, no problem". He specifically wanted to know how ear candles work on navels. I had never heard of this technique and didn't have a clue how it could possibly work as the navel is not really a hole, but more of an indention.

I found out how they work on navels: they don't work period, at least not according to the various resources I found (some that were doctors and the like). The stuff that comes out in the end of the candle is from the candle itself. On lab tests they found that it's not earwax at all, but just wax from the candle. Furthermore, they are really bad for your ears, causing wax buildups from the candles and scarring your ear drums.

My question is this...everyone I've asked who have used ear candles personally, myself and my dad included, have said that they really feel better after using them. Is it just in our heads? Or perhaps the warm smoke soothes our ears? (I heard an old folk remedy that mothers used to gently blow tobacco smoke into their childrens ears to cure middle ear infections, which according to doctors works, as it kills the bacteria causing the infection)

Any ideas, personal experiences, etc?

Posts: 54 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a good discussion a while back.

I personally have not seen any value to it, but many have. Placebo might be the word. [Wink]

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know much about ear candling, but if you are looking for something to clear out your sinuses and plugged up ears when you are sick, check out a neti pot. I used to get chronic sinus infections but I have been using the neti pot every morning for about the last five years and not only have I not gotten any sinus infections, I have hardly gotten sick at all.

And no, it doesn't hurt and it isn't uncomfortable. It is very refreshing!

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faeriefeet
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faeriefeet   E-mail Faeriefeet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UE Loyalist:
We had a good discussion a while back.

I personally have not seen any value to it, but many have. Placebo might be the word. [Wink]

Thanks for that. I looked back a couple of months and didn't see anything...I just didn't look back far enough.
Posts: 54 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kabouter
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabouter   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kabouter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever I was having problems with my ears, mum would give a cotton ball with a drop of herbal oil (tea tree and almond, iirc) and hot water. Dispute the merits of herbal remedies all you want, but that warmth does wonders, and considerably cheaper than "candling".

--------------------
"You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

Posts: 200 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UE Loyalist:
...Placebo might be the word. [Wink]

sssshhhhh. You're giving away the secret to all homeopathy; cut it out!

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gizard
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gizard   E-mail gizard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Side note of wisdom with the neti pot- use well or bottled water. Treated water, when heated, SUCKS in the nasal passage. And sucks is the medical term I'm quite sure. Owwie.
Posts: 64 | From: Missoula, MT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You do realize that quite a lot of bottled water is bottled tap water, don't you?

Seaboo

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit that when I first saw this thread I wondered "What the NFBSK is she talking about?". I still do, so I decided to look around and I found the straight dope on ear candles. Apparently you've been had.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hit the wrong button.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboo Muffinchucker:
You do realize that quite a lot of bottled water is bottled tap water, don't you?

Seaboo

Here is what the EPA has to say about bottled water:

quote:
Bottled water is not necessarily safer than your tap water. EPA sets standards for tap water provided by public water systems; the Food and Drug Administration sets bottled water standards based on EPA's tap water standards. Bottled water and tap water are both safe to drink if they meet these standards, although people with severely compromised immune systems and children may have special needs. Some bottled water is treated more than tap water, while some is treated less or not treated at all. Bottled water costs much more than tap water on a per gallon basis. Bottled water is valuable in emergency situations (such as floods and earthquakes), and high quality bottled water may be a desirable option for people with weakened immune systems. Consumers who choose to purchase bottled water should carefully read its label to understand what they are buying, whether it is a better taste, or a certain method of treatment.
Personally, I don't trust bottled water unless it comes from a municipal water source.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages