snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Questionable Quotes » Bogus Churchill Quote?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bogus Churchill Quote?
Muck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muck   Author's Homepage   E-mail Muck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been doing this long enough to have a pretty good sense for fact and fancy. Please consider:

quote:
Winston Churchill on Islam:

How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyzes the social development of those who follow it.

No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome.

-- Sir Winston Spencer Churchill (The River War, first edition, Vol. II, pages 248-50 (London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1899).

So far, so good. Now, here's an online version of the River War: The River War

Using the "Find" feature on a number of key phrases from the original, I come up with bupkiss. This looks like a well composed fake.

Anyone?

Posts: 749 | From: Lebanon, OR | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's supposed to be in Chapter XXII, "The Return of the British Division," which appeared in volume II of first edition (published in 1899), but not in the abridged second (1902).

See an explanation about in the middle of the following page,

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=56

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muck   Author's Homepage   E-mail Muck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The link in my OP was to the abridged 1902 edition which Churchill evidently abridged down to 19 chapters. The original 1899 edition is evidently quite rare. Does anyone have access to a University Library that might have the 1899 edition?

Oh. Thanks, Bonnie.

Posts: 749 | From: Lebanon, OR | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muck
The First USA Noel

AHA!

Found it. http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=137

Guess I need to adjust my BS detector... [Cool]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages