snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Questionable Quotes » Destroy the town in order to save it.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Destroy the town in order to save it.
KaosKlerik
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 209 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently I had an exchange with a person who used this quote. Someone posted that it was actually a misquote by the reporter Peter Arnett. It is attributed to a Major Brown, but one source I found said he claimed to have said something like the town was destroyed and it was a shame about the civilians. There also seems to be some disagreement about who destroyed teh town or at least who desttroyed most of it, 85% keeps getting quoted. Arnett originally said it came from a unnamed Major, but recently atributed it to another unnamed soldier who commented while he was talking to Maj Brown. That last part is what makes me suspect this quote.

Does anyone know the whole story?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if anybody does. Most of the accounts of the story go as you described it: Peter Arnett quoting an Army Major as saying that after a devastating attack on Ben Tre. Peter says that what he was told; the person quoted swears he said something different. Most of the "pro" Vietnam War accounts of the story are as follows:

quote:
Peter Arnett, a now-infamous journalist in Vietnam, infamously made the quote up, in reference to the non-village of Ben Tre a non-village that was destroyed by the other “we,” the Viet Cong. That “we” had no intention of “saving” anything, of course, and the soldier most likely quoted by Arnett remembers saying “it was a shame the town was destroyed.”
whereas anti-war accounts go like this:

quote:
After the Tet offensive American forces went on a wild counterattack. After the village of Ben Tre was virtually destroyed, an American Major said to journalist Peter Arnett (who would become famous for his work on CNN during the Gulf War), "It became necessary to destroy the village in order to save it."
(as quoted by Neil Sheehan in his book about John Paul Vann -- A Bright Shining Lie.)

buf 'being about as much help as a jock strap in a snowstorm' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizardking
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get the impression Brian Carnell doesn't like Peter Arnett. [Wink]

There was a similarly apocryphal quote from a Vietnam GI that went something like, "We sure liberated the hell out of this village." Don't know if that was ever verified.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
antiquary
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antiquary     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the principle that it's never too late to give chapter and verse: the story was first printed in The New York Times on 8th February 1968. The wording was 'To save the town, it became necessary to destroy it' and, yes, it was an unnamed major who was credited, if that's the word I'm looking for.
Posts: 10 | From: West Sussex, England | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages