snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Child's Play and My Buddy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Child's Play and My Buddy
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this UL a long time ago and it just came up with my sister and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was true, or it's origin. I heard it when I was like in grade school, (I think the first Child's Play came out in 89) but here goes.

Back around the time that Child's Play came out there was this doll out called "My Buddy" he was like 3 feet tall and like the size of a kid, he had red hair and if I remember correctly, wore a similar outfit as Chucky does in the Child's play movie.

What I heard is, that Chucky was based on or inspired by "My Buddy" dolls, the brand of Chucky dolls were "Good Guys" anyway, does anyone know if this is true?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought Chucky resembled the "My Buddy" dolls in that sinister first cousin kind of way.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After seeing that give me Chucky any day.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chantelle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chantelle   E-mail Chantelle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
I always thought Chucky resembled the "My Buddy" dolls in that sinister first cousin kind of way.

I definitely see a resemblance.

On another note... AHHH! I guess being a child of the '80's, I missed out on some of these dolls

--------------------
Registered Nurse in training (1 year down, 3 years to go) :)

Posts: 35 | From: Fredericton, NB, Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 16 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chantelle:
quote:

On another note... AHHH! I guess being a child of the '80's, I missed out on some of these dolls

Holy crap, what is that thing!!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What scares me is I can hear the song from the commercials for that thing in my head.

"My buddy and me, like to climb up a tree, my buddy is the best friend that could be! My buddy and me!"

Eeeek.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still remember the My Buddy commercial song as well.

My little brother was in love with his My Buddy. Then one day we saw a commercial for Child's Play and we both looked over at My Buddy and shuddered. It never looked the same again.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fantine

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fantine     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I recall, there was a girl version of "My Buddy" called "Kid Sister". As a middle child who felt excluded by her older sister and forced to socialize with her younger sister, I remember thinking, "Why would anyone want a kid sister doll when the real thing is so awful?"

Edited to fix sentence structure.

--------------------
"I was raised to be charming, not sincere."
--Cinderella's Prince, Into the Woods, by Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 54 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LOADEDGOAT
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LOADEDGOAT   Author's Homepage   E-mail LOADEDGOAT   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep..my son had a My Buddy doll back then...I made the mistake of letting him watch Child's Play one night and the next day, found his doll in the trash can outside. I STILL laugh at him for that to this day!! That doll was EXPENSIVE back then...sheese...

--------------------
~So, yesterday, I got over heated working on the truck, stung by a red wasp and bitten by a tick....just damn..*sigh*~My Friend Boomer's bad day

Posts: 51 | From: Boondocks, Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This one looks possessed

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zerocool
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zerocool   E-mail zerocool   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think we had a 'kid sister' but when we moved in to our house the previous owners left a ~3 foot tall doll there. I was about 6 and my sister was 4, and for some reason a baby sitter let us watch the Chucky movie. At that point in my life it was the scariest thing I had ever seen, and my sister was even more afraid.

Being the good brother that I was, the following day I got out the huge creepy doll, and whenever my sister wasn't looking I moved it. Even while she was asleep, I would move it closer and closer to her bed, get back in my bed, and wake her up by being loud (we shared a room). She, while half asleep, noticed the doll coming closer. Finally, I put it on her, got in my bed and yelled out 'Chucky's sister is getting you!' she screamed in terror, woke my parents, and the doll was forever banished to the garage.

All I had to do to scare her for the next six or so years was go get that thing out and bring it anywhere near her. Brothers can be terrible huh?

Posts: 336 | From: Currently: Jakarta Indonesia Australia Belgium Berkeley CA > Lima Peru< | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*giggles at zerocool*

I also remember both the My Buddy and Kid Sister themes (not that it's hard to remember both, since Kid Sister used the same tune). I don't think I had either - I did have a "Cricket" doll for a while, though.

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I now have the "My Buddy" and "Kid Sister" jingles (they're the same music, different words) stuck in my head. And, somewhere, I have the original commercials on a VHS tape.

Cer "Wherever I go, you're gonna go!" vus

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I now have the "My Buddy" and "Kid Sister" jingles (they're the same music, different words) stuck in my head. And, somewhere, I have the original commercials on a VHS tape.

Cer "Wherever I go, you're gonna go!" vus

Me too. I think I'll be hearing those jingles in my head for the rest of my life.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really wish I hadn't looked at those pictures. I have a bit of a doll phobia, especially any doll that speaks (why would anyone want that?). For some reason these dolls don't scare me at all.

zerocool = pure evil!

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When Child's Play came out, I was in the throes of complete adoration of my Teddy Ruxpin. He was my absolute favorite toy, however once I saw a commercial for the Child's Play movie, I quickly grew out of my Teddy Ruxpin phase. [Eek!]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does any one know the "My Buddy" Chant that kids at my school used to sing? It goes:

"My Buddy, he's cruddy, so I shot him, now he's bloody!"

There was one for "Kid Sister" too, I only remember the first part of it though:

"Kid Sister, had a blister, so I popped it..." and that's all I remember! LoL! Anyone else hear these songs?

~Monica

ETA: Zerocool, I did almost the SAME thing to my sister with her American Girl Doll. She would try to throw it away and I would always see it and put it back on her bed without her knowing! She was scared of that doll for YEARS! LoL!

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugg, Teddy Ruxpin. I hated when you walked past him in the store and he starts speaking to you. It made me jump a few inches from the floor.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh, the Teddy Ruxpin I had merely played tapes which you inserted into a cassette player in his back. He had to be specifically switched on, and playing a tape to do any speaking, and it was always scripted dialogue with an accompanying book. Perhaps some of the later models worked on sensors? I would have gotten mine around 1986-1987.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think only the display ones had a sensor.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a kid sister doll when I was younger, and my (actual) sister had a my buddy doll. when the youngest sister was about 4 or 5 the my-size barbie had just come out, and we thought she would love it, considering how much we had loved our "my buddy/kid sister" dolls.

however, me being a bit evil, made her sit down and watch the child's play movies with me. after that, she made me keep that my-size barbie in my closet locked up permanently. I still like taking her into spencer's gifts and luring her near the chucky dolls. she has gotten over her fear of dolls just a bit, she now collects bratz dolls.... which she keeps in the safety of her locked closet, just in case.

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what's worse...having just the chorus of the My Buddy/Kid Sister jingle* in one's head (as I do, or having the whole thing (which I don't remember)...

* 'My Buddy/Kid Sister, My Buddy/Kid Sister, My Buddy/Kid Sister and me!'

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I second the 'holy crap' thing.
I think it my be the first Glurge doll ever.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

It's like a mutant relative of Precious Moments.

--------------------

Marzi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marzi   E-mail Marzi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Buddy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX9RSyotle8

Kid Sister
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXKWK-rauOM

--------------------
"Of course I'm a duck! I have all the duck bits! The bill. The webbed feet. The cute tail. The sailor hat." -Quack, from Peep and the great big world

Posts: 59 | From: Niagara Falls, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizzy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I second the 'holy crap' thing.
I think it my be the first Glurge doll ever.

You think those are creepy? Look at the faces this one makes!

--------------------
"Do you see me now? I'm like a fireball . . . with these shoulder pads I have the strength to destroy villages, homes and crops. GEM SWEATER!"

Posts: 72 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*cries* Make it stop.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

That one kind of looked like Carol Channing.

--------------------

invisigoth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*laughs and falls off chair* i used to have a my buddy, until i watched childs play i loved it, after that i kind of thought he was out to get me.
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages