snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Wilma Flintstone swears on the air

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wilma Flintstone swears on the air
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have been told that Wilma Flintstone once swore on an episode
of The Flintstones that made it to air.

Apparently, in an episode where Fred & Barney accidently join the army,
Wilma says as they are walking out the door

"trust Fred and Barney to bollocks things up."

Is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skyeg
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skyeg   E-mail skyeg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, according to TV.com, this happened in the first season in the episode "Astra' Nuts".

Also got a reference to it here as number 40 of the top 100 funniest moments on tv.

If anyone can track down a copy of the episode, then that should pretty much settle it.

Posts: 28 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
skyeg - I saw the 100 Greatest Funny Moments on Channel 4 that you linked to, and they did indeed show the clip of The Flintstones with Wilma saying "bollocks".

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Flintstones was an “adult” cartoon that originally aired in primetime so I could see Wilma saying something risqué. When it went into syndication, it was retooled for children
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
skyeg - I saw the 100 Greatest Funny Moments on Channel 4 that you linked to, and they did indeed show the clip of The Flintstones with Wilma saying "bollocks".

I'll second that, I saw it too.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just thought of another sweary animation. There was a 100 Greatest Cartoons show on Channel 4 recently, and it showed the clip from Watership Down where a seagull tells one of the rabbits to "piss off". Apparently the book features the same phrase as well.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Watership Down is definately not a kid movie, so I don't see why "piss off" should be offensive there.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Watership Down is definately not a kid movie, so I don't see why "piss off" should be offensive there.

But it's animated! How can it not be a kid movie and still be animated?

Honestly, when I saw it (in the theaters, lo these many years ago), there were enough young children in the audience to make me positive most of the parents bringing them thought exactly that.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm certain what she said was " bollix things up." Bollix was in very common parlance in the sixties, in the sense of "screw things up" (and that wasn't considered dirty, either, although I guess it is [Big Grin] ), and nobody ever thought it was dirty. My MOM used it, for cripes sake, and she never said anything dirtier than "for cripes sake." [Smile]

Now, according to Merriam, "bollix" is just a variant form of "bollocks." But I heard that word for years and years before I ever even discovered the word "bollocks", meaning "testicles". And I never made a connection between "bollocks" and "bollix" until I just now looked them up. Isn't "bollocks" more a Britishism anyway?

ETA: I have often seen, in older writings, the phrase "all balled up." I never, until this moment, made the connection between that phrase and "balls" as "testicles." I always thought of it as, say, string getting balled up and unusable.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was also "bollix", and in the US at least it has a fairly innocuous connotation.

Then again, so does "fanny."

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Precisely. "Bollix" was not even the slightest bit risque in 1960s America.
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 98 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
I think it was also "bollix", and in the US at least it has a fairly innocuous connotation.

Which explains, as I've mentioned several times previously, why the 1944 British movie release Fanny by Gaslight had to be retitled for American release.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chalky Studebaker:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:

Which explains, as I've mentioned several times previously, why the 1944 British movie release Fanny by Gaslight had to be retitled for American release.
Seems like it would be the other way around.

"Fanny" is a rather goofy term for your bum in the USA. It's a slang term for vagina in the UK.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeabooMuffinchucker:
quote:

Honestly, when I saw it (in the theaters, lo these many years ago), there were enough young children in the audience to make me positive most of the parents bringing them thought exactly that.

Seaboe

Yup. As a kid, I never got as far as the "piss off" because I was always elsewhere having an attack of the screaming abdabs having witnessed Fiver's hallucinations of swaying pylons in blood-soaked fields in the first ten minutes.

ETA - I saw the clip Channel 4 reckoned was Wilma saying "bollocks" too. I remember thinking that, if she WAS saying bollocks, the actress had misheard/mispronounced it. If the word "bollix" exists that would explain it.

It was very funny to hear Wilma apparently using foul British bloke-down-the-pub dialect, though.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeabooMuffinchucker:
quote:

(Hoping you're being somewhat sarcastic) Doesn't anybody remember "Fritz The Cat"? [Cool]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisy747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisy747   E-mail daisy747   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Fritz the Cat. Definatly an adult cartoon! Also look at Family Guy, not exactly for children either (although I personally love it).
Posts: 19 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Take Princess Mononke, great movie but most parents were shocked when they took their kids. Actually msot naime I watch is no more violent, and inf act less so, then the usual movies shown here. But, GOSH they're animated, what a shock! How evil! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fenman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fenman   E-mail Fenman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pob14 if you like th eorigin of words try the following website. You'll see that the words are not Britishism's but can be traced back to "balls" in 1325.
Posts: 2 | From: Ramsey, Cambs, England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fenman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fenman   E-mail Fenman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoopss...... www.etymonline.com
Posts: 2 | From: Ramsey, Cambs, England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages