snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Family Guy Drops the F-Bomb Uncensored on TV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Family Guy Drops the F-Bomb Uncensored on TV
ComedyLiker23
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 16 posted      Profile for ComedyLiker23   E-mail ComedyLiker23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the episodes of Family Guy that was aired on TV not so long ago got away with saying the F-word uncensored on actual TV.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t8dIQyj9sXw

Hummer Guy: (watching Madagascar) Those animals are so f**king funny!

Normal when they curse they got censored. How do you think Family Guy got away with this?

Posts: 8 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
finger stutters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finger stutters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure it was bleeped when I saw it.

--------------------
YHBT. YHL. HAND.
My youtube channel

Posts: 258 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tar Man

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tar Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it wasn't bleeped up here in the great white north
Posts: 10 | From: Frankford, Ontario | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was censored out here in the west. I'm thinking that it somehow slipped through and made it onto the showing only in the eastern time zone and was quickly edited for the subsequent showings. I'm not sure how it snuck through; it would be interesting to hear what happened.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw that. I think it was bleeped here. You know what happens in America if someone swears on TV.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
invisigoth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i saw that episode, it was bleeped here in florida.
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alluvian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alluvian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well this is just going to become a he-said she-said unless some actual facts are uncovered from the FCC, the producers, or someone else believable.

It doesn't really look like they found a way to get around anything, but it was just a mistake if it happened at all.

The youtube video really does not prove anything either way as we don't know the source.

Posts: 97 | From: Florida - USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hooooooooooo that was so funny!

My humour can be pretty base sometimes..

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Demonic Matt
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demonic Matt   E-mail Demonic Matt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really don't see why the f word is such a big deal in America, in the UK you hear it on TV all the time.
Posts: 60 | From: North Wales | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sleeepy2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeepy2     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Family Guy is even less funny than I remember.
Posts: 5 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demonic Matt:
I really don't see why the f word is such a big deal in America, in the UK you hear it on TV all the time.

Only after the watershed, though. What time was this episode on?

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
quote:

Only after the watershed, though.
Apart from that Bill Grundy interview. [lol]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If that was bad, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of the Trailer Park Boys episodes south of 49. The F word is the mainstay on that show.

(and here the two shows are shown one channel apart in the same time slot)

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ComedyLiker23:
One of the episodes of Family Guy that was aired on TV not so long ago got away with saying the F-word uncensored on actual TV.

Normal when they curse they got censored. How do you think Family Guy got away with this?

So? Arrested Development did it two years ago, and no protested, or even noticed.
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
btvsrcks
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for btvsrcks   E-mail btvsrcks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RealityChuck, the punisher:
quote:
Originally posted by ComedyLiker23:

So? Arrested Development did it two years ago, and no protested, or even noticed.
Was anyone even watching? [Smile]

Seriously, some of the stuff Family Guy does is wayyyy more offensive than dropping the f-bomb. Probably why it is so popular. [Smile]

Posts: 69 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigone201:
I saw that. I think it was bleeped here. You know what happens in America if someone swears on TV.

I forget, does the Baby Jesus cry or does God kill a kitten?

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maj. Burns
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maj. Burns   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was bleeped in America, but not in Canada. Canada's television regulations, at least when it comes to profanity, are much looser than the FCC's.
Posts: 116 | From: Manasquan, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muncle
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Muncle   E-mail Muncle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Burns:
I think it was bleeped in America, but not in Canada. Canada's television regulations, at least when it comes to profanity, are much looser than the FCC's.

Yes, but even up here the F-word is usually bleeped out. Usually if it's heard, it was missed by the censors. Or something of that sort. I believve when CTV aired "the Sopranos" and "The Osbornes" the swearing was bleeped.

All said and done, it was pretty funny to hear it

Posts: 69 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muncle:
Yes, but even up here the F-word is usually bleeped out. Usually if it's heard, it was missed by the censors. Or something of that sort. I believve when CTV aired "the Sopranos" and "The Osbornes" the swearing was bleeped.

That's true, but I once saw a full-on gay blowjob on cable TV here. On ShowCase, which is part of regular cable.

And you could see everything.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a youtube video of Ariel from the Little Mermaid singing about how she wished she had a vagina. I don't think that was in the actual movie (though you never know with those Disney perverts [fish] ), so I don't rely on youtube for 100% accuracy. Since anyone can upload videos who's to say it wasn't dubbed or something anyway?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperGoten
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperGoten   E-mail SuperGoten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember if it was bleeped or not but i know i saw the episode. I think i would have noticed if it wasn't bleeped though.
Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:

That's true, but I once saw a full-on gay blowjob on cable TV here. On ShowCase, which is part of regular cable.

And you could see everything.

Damn. I wonder how I can get an illicit feed of that here in the States...

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notorious fluffy g
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notorious fluffy g   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw it , and don't remenber hearing the f word- i do remember the joke though. Last week on Aqua Teen Hunger Force one character called another one an as$h0le, and later threw a get well soon party complete with a huge banner that said "get well soon, a$$hole."

--------------------
"Reading and writing, arithmetic and grammar do not constitute education, any more than a knife, fork and spoon constitute a dinner."

* Sir John Lubbock

Posts: 76 | From: Clarksburg, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Burns:

All said and done, it was pretty funny to hear it

I have found that many times I find the 'bleeping' to be funnier than hearing the words...particularly with episodes of The Osbournes. I'm not sure why, perhaps I enjoy it being left to my brain to fill in the blanks. [Wink]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, that's probably because back in the 1600s, all the hardcore religious freaks fled England to move to America. So...thanks for that. [Razz]

It's only a big deal on broadcast television...and it's become a bigger deal only in the past 5 years. PBS (the Public Broadcasting System) would often air programs with cuss words and nudity without incident. Unfortunately, lately the vocal minority of Americans refuse to differentiate between various uses of obscenities: they'll treat a documentary in which rescue workers on September 11th shout cuss words in the midst of chaos the same way as a they treat something like The Aristocrats '.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turbo Snail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbo Snail     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why bleep it when everyone knows what they are saying anyway? I always hear the "F" and the "ing". Is it "uck" that the FCC has a real problem with?

--------------------
Has anyone seen my other shoe?

Posts: 40 | From: Richmond, Indiana | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy

Icon 207 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Snail:
Why bleep it when everyone knows what they are saying anyway? I always hear the "F" and the "ing". Is it "uck" that the FCC has a real problem with?

Well, yah! Add "U" and "K" to FCC and what do you get?

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniceguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Snail:

Well, yah! Add "U" and "K" to FCC and what do you get?
A word and a leftover "C."

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Not_Done_Living

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not_Done_Living     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Teletoon has all sorts of uncensored swears in Canada.

Words arnt evil.
Censorship of words is.

Posts: 62 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eccles9
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eccles9     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Like most of the english speaking world, we get a hell of a lot of US programs appearing on the idiot box here in Oz. It amazes me that while you can see US produced programs full of extreme and rather graphic violence and things that would make Caligula blush, the simple utterance of 'that filthy anglo-saxon word' causes widespread conniptions, big fines and warnings of deviates breaking into public toilets and peeing on the virgins in consequence of the breakdown of society*...

As Eric Idle said, 'NFBSK you very much the FCC'!

Mind you, we have two national government sponsored broadcasters who rarely raise an eyebrow when the language gets a little 'fruity'.

It's only a word and not only have most of us used it, more of us have done it.

(* this bit is an exaggeration for humourous effect btw) [Smile]

--------------------
'Do not follow in the footsteps of the wise, seek instead what they sought' Matsuo Basho

Posts: 97 | From: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Entourage, OZ, The Sopranos, 6 Feet Under, Sex in the City all use the F-Word regularly. They have been known at times to use the big C as well.

If anyone saw the episode of Entourage where Ari is talking to Richard Schiff they will remember one of the funniest lines on TV.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kelandaidansmom

Icon 304 posted      Profile for kelandaidansmom   E-mail kelandaidansmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UEL:
If that was bad, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of the Trailer Park Boys episodes south of 49. The F word is the mainstay on that show.

(and here the two shows are shown one channel apart in the same time slot)

\

That's true. Trailer Park Boys really would cause them to freak out! [lol]

--------------------
A mother is the most over-worked, under-paid profession. It is also the most rewarding.

Posts: 2 | From: Moncton, NB, Canada | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plaidzebra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plaidzebra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Family Guy epidode in question appears on (semi-recently released) DVD in uncensored form, the broadcast version in the United States bleeped out the profanity.
Posts: 16 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hobojoe44

Icon 602 posted      Profile for hobojoe44   E-mail hobojoe44   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was watching the CTV News at 11 pm last month and they showed a video of I think was a immigration official trying to get women to have sex with for there Canadian citizenship and he was saying **** a lot and it wasn’t edited.

But all I know is that $hit isn’t a curse word here witch makes perfect sense because it’s just another word for solid bodily waste [Smile]

And remember last year that NBC was goanna air Saving Privet Ryan on Nov. 11th but decided not to because of the profanity. But the realistic violence was ok [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
H1 > H2

Posts: 1 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages