snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Rocky Horror Picture Show (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rocky Horror Picture Show
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been a RHPS for... well, many years. If you ask nicely then I may let you see the photo of me on my way to the show when I was 21. Anyway, when the live show was revived here in the Uk, I went to see it.

The cast complained to the press that the audience timing was off. I felt that was unfair. We had been doing it longer than the cast we saw. How could we be doing it wrong?

Blues "Audience Particip...........ation" Scale

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I write off the keyboard you owe me, Bluescale, will that be a fair trade?

Who'dja go as?

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a transylvanian. I was sharing a house with 4 nurses at the time (no, really, I know it sounds unlikely) and they all loaned me stuff and helped with the makeup as it was the very first time that I had been to the show. My outfit was white stockings, suspenders, basque, panties (ouch!), slip-ons and a lot of makeup and hair gel. Why white? RHPS virgin, dahrlink!

When I was a little older, I started going as Rocky. Now I pretty much have to get out the smoking jacket and lose the neck.

PM me if you really want to see the photo. Not for the faint hearted.

Blues "Don't dream it, be it" Scale

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vtsquire
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vtsquire         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one of the eggs... I'm trying to scrounge up pics of the others.

-

supposedly the other eye of this statue is one...

-

lastly, another shot of this bookcas (on the left) shows one.  - (not a good pic, so I can hardly expect you all to believe me on this...)

Posts: 65 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marrya:
[slight hijack] it came up in conversation the other night that the audience participation scripts vary greatly from area to area, sometimes enough to really throw the actors if they are in the same role /different cast.

Really?

Oh, man does this thread take me back...

I only saw RHPS 29 times in the theatres, a pile in Ottawa then every other weekend for a year once I moved to Montreal. The ByTowne Theatre in Ottawa only showed it once every couple of months at 7PM on a weeknight, unlike New York or L.A. where you can (from what I understand) see it every Friday and Saturday night somewhere, so I only got to see about ten or twelve screenings there.

When I got to Montreal in 1991, there was a kind of weird situation: the Cinema de Paris (where I saw it) would show it every second Saturday at midnight, and across town the Rialto would screen it the other weeks. They actually had a different print of the movie. Ours was the extended cut with "Super Heroes" at the end, theirs had French subtitles. There was kind of a bitter rivalry between the theatre groups, and our shows were definitely different. The Rialto crowd did the whole "dress up like the characters and act out the entire movie below the screen" thing, while we at the Paris focussed more on interacting with the action onscreen. My own star turn was getting "hit" by lightning during "Over At The Frankenstein Place." Some of the audience dialogue response was different as well between the gangs.

Anyway, I remember my last screening: Halloween 1992. I had gone back to Ottawa for the previous summer and upon my return, found out that our group leader had let things slide from his end. The Rialto lost their print because of a conflict with their distributor, the floor show team from that theatre migrated to the Paris and in our leader's slackness had effected a bloodless coup. I got back to Montreal ready for another year of the Time Warp and was told I could no longer get on stage. Just sitting in the audience (like a bloody virgin) on the biggest night of our year didn't work for me any more, so I said sayonara.

Bloody politics...

Max "whatever happened to Saturday night?" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the print with "Superheroes" included better then the usual version that has it cut out.

I played Magenta for 3 years but my favorite bit was when we all pretend to "spin" the picture at the end of Superheroes ... and then go flying when The Criminologist stops the globe from spinning.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vtsquire
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vtsquire         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I played Magenta for 3 years
.....pic?
Posts: 65 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I played Columbia for a year. It was kind of fun but if uninvited (some places actually ask people to get up on stage or in front) there can be "turf wars". Our group/theatre had a set cast but we both invited to and raided other theaters just for fun.

Its definitely a theater/audience movie. The whole set up varies greatly from place to place. We always did a pre-show. Not only did we try to get virgins up to embarass them but we'd do various other skits before the show. In fact after we got burned out on RHPS we RHPSed other films like Monty Python, Cheech and Chong, even Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (which was really hard since none of us had the slightest clue on what it was suposed to be about to begin with... compare it to arguing over something like the meaning of "Puff the Magic Dragon" or "Hotel California").

Many "jokes" are also timely and will change over the months or years without even leaving a location. The empty theatre with the line about it being a New Kid's on the Block concert went the way of the dino pretty quick. There are some fairly generic lines but if you are in a new location or haven't been to a show for a while I sugest giving a listen for new ones. Some can be kind of clever.

Not really easter eggs but we always had fun with continuity issues. If Janet put her purse behind her then it was in front of her the person playing Janet would make a show of kicking it back into filmed location. If a mic was shown in the sceen we'd put a mic prop above the "actor" for he could swat at it.

I like it best with the Superheros song as well. Actually I like the stage play better but such is life. They all have their own charm. Or at least they all give bored college kids somewhere to go.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vtsquire
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
I played Columbia for a year.

again....pic?
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thera:
I think the Easter egg thing is an urban legend. They began filming in October 1974 and filmed for six weeks. Why are they having an Easter egg hunt?

And, if they are so easily spotted in the movie, why were they not found originally in the hunt?

Source

They're not really all that easily spotted, but RHPS is watched at such a frequency and level of obsession that nothing seems to go unnoticed... Check out any good Rocky site (I recommend Cosmo's Factory) and they'll have a whole bunch of frame-by-frame pictures, in-depth, close-up photos of props, et cetera.
-L

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what, I looked for pics and the only photos I can find of my cast are from before my time. I know I had photos from a Halloween show though, I will have to look for them.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Rumors I've heard:

I also heard that Little Nell ("Columbia") secretly flashed her nipples the whole movie, to see if it would be noticed by the movie ratings boards. (I'm not sure how "under the radar" it could have been, when you see them clear as day after she's been un-Medusa'ed, and the film has an "R" rating.)

I thought the film was originaly rated PG. It recieved an R rating later on because the audience partcipation made it that more racier,
Correct me if I am wrong.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's bizarre. My DVD has an "R" rating, so I'm not sure how audience participation would affect it. Maybe it just got a new rating later in life, when they started that whole "PG 13" (or whatever it is) jazz. For example, Midnight Cowboy was rated "X" when it came out. Does it still go by that, or is it "R" now?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The film has the f-word in it ("A mental mind-NFBSK can be nice") so I doubt a 1974 censor would allow that to pass with a PG rating. Also, audience partici...pation has no bearing on a film's rating.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisyslegs:
and during the stage show.

Rose Tint My World is the song sung during the stage show, Daisys.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vtsquire
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
You know what, I looked for pics and the only photos I can find of my cast are from before my time. I know I had photos from a Halloween show though, I will have to look for them.

which cast were you with?
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the complete guide to the Riff/Brad scene legend - it jokingly treats the rumor as if it were 100% true, but in fact, does cover every variation of the legend that has emerged over the years.

http://dammitja.net/faq-brbf.html

It should also be noted that two REALLY devoted fans actually filmed this scene, the only flaw being (if I remember correctly) that the curtain on Brad's bed is pink instead of blue.

I put together a 'complete' script a long time ago, inserting deleted scenes and cut lines back into their rightful places, and as a joke, snuck that scene in as well. [flame]

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

I was with the TooMuchCoffeeCast in Ventura. The have a myspace page, apparently, but it links to some old pics.

I'll have to ask my husband where he filed the photos when he has a minute, because I can't figure out what he did with the darn things.

ETA: Although my photos are not on the cast page, the cast description still has my name under Magenta. I take no responsibility for what it actually says, though. I'm sure Dr. Shocker was on several illicit substances when he wrote it.

--------------------

NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't posted a pic of anything in years; I kind of lost touch with internet chat/message boards the past few years. If someone can post a link to a free pic-hosting site that I can use, I will be happy to post my Magenta pic. I was a temp that night and ended up doing Janet for about 2 1/2 years, but the Janet pics are gone, lost after many moves.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NancyFancyPants:
If someone can post a link to a free pic-hosting site that I can use, I will be happy to post my Magenta pic.

You could try Photobucket.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

I will if you will...

Blues

NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awright, I signed up for Photobucket. Note that this is probably 23 or 24 years old.

Here ya go...

--------------------

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

An awesome Magenta - thank you for sharing :-)

I was once signed by Patrica Quinn across the chest in scarlet lipstick. That was a good day.

Here is a link to my first ever show - I was in white being a RHPS virgin

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/BluesScale/rhs_bright.jpg

For a comparison photo, see my (shameless plug) website at http://www.mark-long.co.uk

Blues "Even smiling makes my face ache" Scale

Mookie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mookie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Awright, I signed up for Photobucket. Note that this is probably 23 or 24 years old.

Here ya go...

RAWR!
Posts: 7 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mookie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mookie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
oops, double posted by mistake
Posts: 7 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Mookie, that was worth saying twice :-)
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

LOL...t/u both. The best part in Pittsburgh, tho, was that we had the throne. It used to be shown at the (now closed) King's Court Theatre. The entire lobby was done in a medieval theme.

Off to dinner now...

ETA: Blues, finally got a look at your pic - looks like you had a nice little group. Makes me want to ask: Does everyone still remember how many times they saw RHPS?

--------------------

Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
~snip~
Makes me want to ask: Does everyone still remember how many times they saw RHPS?

178 for me, and I used to play Columbia. [Smile] No pics though

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Makes me want to ask: Does everyone still remember how many times they saw RHPS?

Two. [fish]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(snip)

29. Well, 28 and a half, considering I walked out of the last one. I used to actually even keep a diary of screenings. I'd record the names of virgins who came along, audience participation lines I heard for the first time, memorable occurrences (once we were all milling around the ByTowne following an early evening summer screening and John Turner walked by; quite amusing to see a guy who was Prime Minister for about nine minutes navigating his way along the sidewalk through a gaggle of cross-dressing punks) and so forth, along with clippings from the rep cinema flyers for each screening.

Jeez, OCD much?

Max "What tastes good on Corn Flakes?" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't remember exactly how many times I've seen it, but I always sit down when the Long Beach cast (Midnight Insanity) asks those who have seen the movie more than 100 times to sit down. And having been a regular at that show and an occasional viewer at Harvard Square, I can attest to the stark differences between audiences with regard to shout-outs. The first time I went to the Cambridge show, I absolutely killed with the Sarandon-wrap line. (For those who don't know what I'm talking about: after Janet begins ripping her slip to bandage Rocky's wounds, the conventional shout-out is: "I've got more hurt than you've got skirt!" and the addendum is "I'm gonna need a full body cast...of Sarandon-wrap!" It really puzzled me that I was the only one yelling that, and that it got such a response, considering the Cambridge group calls itself "Full Body Cast."

Esprise "and f*ck these people; they know what they're doing!" Me

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does everyone still remember how many times they saw RHPS?

I lost count at around 115, but I'm sure I've seen it over 200 times. I used to play Brad in the floor show (no pics, sorry). I even met my wife at RHPS. Once we started dating, she took to playing Janet in the floor show. We're about to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
invisigoth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ive seen it alot, but only 3 or 4 times live. the cast here is amazing,(the Rich Weirdos of Orlando) and are going to be Proforming at Screamfest 2006 here shortly. im envious, they get to meet Patricia Quinn herself!
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Invisigoth, I was once signed by Patricia Quinn and it was an oddly painful experience.

Blues

invisigoth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ooo! i envy you!!!
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages