snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Is Garfield dead? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is Garfield dead?
vtsquire
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vtsquire         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, we all know that wikipedia and photoshop can make a nice hoax when used in conjunction, and I've never seen anything about this until recently... so let's do some research!

garfield is dead

is THIS real?

Posts: 65 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I faintly remember these. For what it's worth, I say real.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ds_40
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ds_40   E-mail ds_40   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Real, they are arcived on garfield.com:

http://www.garfield.com/comics/comics_archives_strip.html?1989-ga891023
http://www.garfield.com/comics/comics_archives_strip.html?1989-ga891024
http://www.garfield.com/comics/comics_archives_strip.html?1989-ga891025
http://www.garfield.com/comics/comics_archives_strip.html?1989-ga891026
http://www.garfield.com/comics/comics_archives_strip.html?1989-ga891027
http://www.garfield.com/comics/comics_archives_strip.html?1989-ga891028

--------------------
àðé ãåã äîìê

Posts: 26 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The official word from Jim Davis regarding these strips is "I wanted to scare people. And what do people fear most? Why, being alone."

And, for the record, I like Garfield! [Razz]

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I despise Garfield. I think that it is one of the least funny, most worthless comics in print. Even the cartoon show was horrible.

As far as my opinion on the comics, they're very real, which has already been proven.

If you read that full Wikipedia article, though, it says that the next cartoon showed that it was a dream. So he wouldn't be "dead of starvation" regardless; he dreampt the whole thing.

Fictional "But I Wish He WAS Dead" Lie

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember getting into some trouble as a kid for watching the Hallowe'en TV special with my sister in the room. It really scared her. I have only the foggiest memory of those strips (the sort of memory where you can't really tell if you do remember it or just think you do), but I can definitely believe they're real.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unhappy_buffalo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappy_buffalo   E-mail unhappy_buffalo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also like garfield. I still get the comic everyday on my yahoo homepage.

--------------------
[IMG]http://sevenelevenclan.org/users/unhappy_buffalo/Unhappybuffalo2.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I LOVE Garfield! He's so like my own kitty!

(Unfortunately...my love life resembles that of Jon's)

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Casey, thank you so much for posting the direct link to the strips.... the original YTMND post seems to be made for people with serious reading disabilities... seriously, does anyone in the world read that slowly?

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Card:
The official word from Jim Davis regarding these strips is "I wanted to scare people. And what do people fear most? Why, being alone."

It's a wonder Jon's not suicidal, having struck out on dates for the last 30 years.

The strips would have been better if they'd centered on Jon instead of Garfield. At the end he'd realize that his cat and dog will always be there for him, unlike the women he tries to date.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1958Fury:
Casey, thank you so much for posting the direct link to the strips....

Psst ... that was ds_40.

And I can't say whether I think he's dead. I can say those strips, which I vaguely remember, are definitely weird. Quite existentialist.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first panel of this one was more unnerving than anything else about the whole segment. Creeeepy.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Originally posted by 1958Fury:
Casey, thank you so much for posting the direct link to the strips....

Psst ... that was ds_40.

Whoops.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Girl   E-mail Aussie Girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually have a copy of that series of strips. It's in the seventh Garfield fat cat 3-pack. The actual book it was in was "Garfield takes up space".

It's probably my least favourite of the Garfield strips, and I love Garfield. It's just too darn creepy for a Garfield comic.

But he's definitely not dead. There's a good dozen + books after that one! [Wink]

(And if he has died in the meantime, I can always dye one of my cats and rename him. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
You have just been involved in a drive-by posting.

Posts: 204 | From: CQ, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OTL
The First USA Noel

Icon 07 posted      Profile for OTL   E-mail OTL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Angua:

Not to make you feel too bad or anything, but Jon actually started dating Liz the vet about two weeks ago...

(No, really!)

-OTL, can now claim to have a worse love life than Jon Arbuckle... [Frown]

--------------------
"I've allowed my love of gravy to distract from my prescriptivist linguistic crusade!"
-T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics

Posts: 726 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Girl:
But he's definitely not dead. There's a good dozen + books after that one! [Wink]

But the last strip talks about how powerful imagination is. So all of the strips after that could be Garfield's imagination trying to keep him from going insane from boredom.

fictional lie, I read the next couple of strips after those and they don't may any indication whether or not the sequence was a dream.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that Jim Davis did die sometime during the 1990s...
It may be faulty memory though.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
I believe that Jim Davis did die sometime during the 1990s...
It may be faulty memory though.

Jim Davis, the actor, died in 1981. Could you be thinking of him?
http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/dead.nsf/viewdocs-nf/D?OpenDocument&Start=51

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 04 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Red Cervette:
It's a wonder Jon's not suicidal, having struck out on dates for the last 30 years.

Looks like Jon may be getting laid for a change. Have you read the strip lately? Looks like he has a girlfriend for once.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OTL:
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Angua:

Not to make you feel too bad or anything, but Jon actually started dating Liz the vet about two weeks ago...

(No, really!)

-OTL, can now claim to have a worse love life than Jon Arbuckle... [Frown]

At least I'm not the only one. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(No, really!)

I've seen it!

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fictional lie:
I despise Garfield. I think that it is one of the least funny, most worthless comics in print. Even the cartoon show was horrible.

I felt the same way as you. However since the daily comics are so frickin' lame Garfiled is actually the better strip.In fact just a couple of weeks ago one of the strips made me lol.
Since Calvin and Hobbes,The Far Side and Bloom county became no more the comics have began to suck. There are some exceptions like The Boondocks and Mother Goose and Grim for example. I think the daily comics should be a reminder of what film and TV would be like if the Politically Correct Thought Police(the Holy Christian Right and the uber sensitive Left) was to ever take total control of the media.It would be a barren wasteland totaly devoid of humour,creativity and spontaneity.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Egad - I was a huge Garfield fan growing up, and thankfully I was unaware of the existence of those strips until now. Those would have creeped me out big time!

Garfield was always inoffensive, and sometimes a bit lame (seems to be much lamer nowdays), but that sequence is just so dark in tone...

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a huge Garfield fan (though I do have a few early books), but I think those particular strips are very well done. I particularly like the erieness in the last panel of the third strip.

Sadly, I think the colorised strips in ds_40's links lack the starkness that made the black and white originals work so well.

EDIT: Regarding the original question, it does seem to imply that everything beyond this point is a fantasy that exists only in Garfield's mind. I doubt Jim Davis meant for that much to be read into it, but it certainly puts an interesting spin on things.

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember those. It wasn't really that creepy to me when I was a kid, I think, because they were printed the week before Halloween, and everything's a little spooky that week.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As long as the last strip doesn't end with a child looking at a snowglobe with Garfield's house in it, it's all good. [Big Grin]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Le Chevalier Blanc

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Le Chevalier Blanc         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For those that didn't see it, Wild Card's statement was confirmed on Boing Boing:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/09/death_of_garfield_my.html

--------------------
-Le Chevalier Blanc

"Chivalry is not dead - it's just paralyzed from the neck up..."

Posts: 9 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
Since Calvin and Hobbes,The Far Side and Bloom county became no more the comics have began to suck. There are some exceptions like The Boondocks and Mother Goose and Grim for example. I think the daily comics should be a reminder of what film and TV would be like if the Politically Correct Thought Police(the Holy Christian Right and the uber sensitive Left) was to ever take total control of the media.It would be a barren wasteland totaly devoid of humour,creativity and spontaneity. {snip}

May I recommend Get Fuzzy?

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course Garfield is dead. Charles Guiteau saw to that.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you think that is eerie, think how creepy it would be if you took out the thought balloons.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
finger stutters
Deck the Malls

Icon 06 posted      Profile for finger stutters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its been two weeks since this has been posted and still everytime I see Garfield I get really bummed out.

I know he isn't dead, but I just can't get past it.

--------------------
YHBT. YHL. HAND.
My youtube channel

Posts: 258 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've learned to finally enjoy the Garfield cartoons with Garfield and Garfield's dialogue taken out. Much more bizarre and fun!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:
If you think that is eerie, think how creepy it would be if you took out the thought balloons.

I was just going to post this link. Thanks.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IckleMissPhonics

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckleMissPhonics   E-mail IckleMissPhonics   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While on the subject of Garfield, has anyone noticed that the guy who done the voice for the Garfield cartoon was called Lorenzo Music, he also done the voice for the character of Peter Venkman in the cartoon version of "The Real" Ghostbusters whereas the actor Bill Murray done the voice for Garfield the Movie and also played the character of Peter Venkman in the movie version of Ghostbusters.

Strange eh? or do I just sound like a right geek.....

--------------------
"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasle"...Edmund Blackadder

"Is anyone, going, anywhere???"

Posts: 47 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not strange, really. Lorenzo Music's voice was kind of a sleepier version of Murray's, so it was logical to use him as Venkman's voice, just like it was logical to bring in Murray the day that Music died.

No, please, allow me... [fish]

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages