snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Is Patrick Stewart Gay ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Patrick Stewart Gay ?
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am currently having a disagreement with my SO and his dad about Patrick Stewart. They claim that he is gay, I say that he is not with proof that he has had 2 wifes and as of 2004 a 25 yo girlfriend. They countered with a paper that was written for Penn State which I guess was written as a thesis paper, I am currently trying to find it.

What do you guys/gals think?

E_E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless the paper is an interview of Patrick Stewart stating that he's gay, I wouldn't give it a whole lot of credit. People can speculate all they want but I personally think it's no one's business and not all that important.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Patrick Stewart did play a gay man in a movie. Which of course, means nothing, but maybe the image of him in that movie stuck with people? Then again, I'm not sure very many people saw it.

Who is writing a thesis about whether or not Patrick Stewart is gay? Weird topic.

~Brillo "Can I do this? Or does it make me look like some sort of gay superhero?" Bee

ETA: I'd give points for reference, but it's kind of a giveaway... so... what was he wearing when he said it?

ETAA: Forgot to say add me to the "don't care" camp on the issue.

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone will accept London Theatre gossip as a cite, then not only is Patrick Stewart not gay, but he is what we in the milieu call a dawg. Pretty much every pretty girl in the theatre in London has some sort of 'Patrick Stewart cracked on to me' story.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If he is as old as I think he is, I have less respect for him for going after 25-year olds than I would if he were simply gay.
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The paper was written about Gay's in music, film and television. It also stated other notable gay celebrities. I wish I could find the paper but I am trying once I do I will link it.

I am not sure why we were even discussing it, but it turned into a agrument, I could care less either way. But I just want to prove them wrong.

E_E

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
If he is as old as I think he is, I have less respect for him for going after 25-year olds than I would if he were simply gay.

Why? At least they're not under 18 or something like that.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
quote:

Perhaps because going after 25 year olds pretty much declares to the world that your maturity level, goals, and desires are that of "typical" 25 year old. I mean, if that's the message you want to dissiminate, or if you really do have more in common with 20 somethings, go right ahead, by all means. But I, too, have less respect for someone whom you would have hoped had gained a bit of wisdom throughout their life dating people half their age, who are normally not as mature.

Not to mention it fits into stereotypical behaviors, which, for some people, are dissapointing in someone they wish to respect.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They are much older than he is, at least if you add them up.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I don't quite buy into that whole 'legal' arguement that someone is fully adult and able to make totally mature decissions at 18.
I can look at when I was 18 and how I am now and I have definately matured since then.
I see less wrong with a 20-year old with a 15-year old (with either gender in place) than a 36-year old with an 18 year old (which to me is a lot like the 20-year old going after 10-12-year olds.)

I know a lot of people buy into that whole 'I hit this magical number age, I can't possibly grow any more from here! Yesterday I was a child, but not today I am suddenly as adult as my grandmother!', but I just don't see it working out in reality.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps because going after 25 year olds pretty much declares to the world that your maturity level, goals, and desires are that of "typical" 25 year old.

If true, I somehow doubt he's really looking to "date" them. For casual hookups, maturity level and goals may not much come into play.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What do you guys/gals think?
I just can't see how anyone's sex life is anybody else's business. Provided all involved are consenting adults.

I don't think it's a topic worthy of contemplation, much less disagreement.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose that a 66-year-old would naturally find 25-year-olds more physically attractive than fellow 66-year-olds, and I don't see what's wrong with that. Besides, Patrick Stewart looks like the kind of man who makes me think "If I were a woman, I would be very attracted to him." and I'm a 20-year-old guy.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tootiredtocare
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootiredtocare     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brillo Bee:
Patrick Stewart did play a gay man in a movie. Which of course, means nothing, but maybe the image of him in that movie stuck with people? Then again, I'm not sure very many people saw it.

Who is writing a thesis about whether or not Patrick Stewart is gay? Weird topic.

~Brillo "Can I do this? Or does it make me look like some sort of gay superhero?" Bee

ETA: I'd give points for reference, but it's kind of a giveaway... so... what was he wearing when he said it?

It's called acting. Quite a number of straight actors have portrayed gay men in plays, films with perfect accuracy. They even kissed other men because the role called for it.

Maybe you should see Dad Savage starring Patrick Stewart or Safehouse where he convincly plays someone with Alzehimors. Damn cannot recall the spelling of that.

Patrick Stewart also has several children.

Sulu is confirmed gay maybe they are confused as to which Star Trek castmember was outed? Of course it was an open secret to hard core trek fans and they had more to go on then a mythical thesis paper. Btw why would Patrick Stewart's sexuality be the subject of a thesis paper which are used to get one's doctorate finally approved?

Posts: 320 | From: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cap'n Picard has seen everything. He's seen it all.

(NSFW, NSBSK as well, prolly)

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am still trying to find the paper and once I do I will provide the link.

It wasn't so much as he was the topic from what I saw it was homosexuality and celebrities. It mentioned Elton John, and a few others.

They both knew that George Takei was gay.

I am trying to prove them wrong, which I did but they just didnt believe me. I can't even tell you how it started.

And I would think, that most people would sort of care what there favorite celebrity is up to. Just look at all the tabloids and the millions of people that by them.

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I refuse to believe he's gay because that would really mess up my fantasy world. [Wink]

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been married is no infallible testament to heterosexuality. Some folks refer to this late coming out as "turning gay" rather than a person just finally accepting who they are... whatever. There are jerks out there who have all kinds of hang-ups.

But I have to say:

1. Why is it so important to you?
2. Would it really matter at all if he was?
3. More power to him either way. It's his life.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lydia Oh Lydia:
I refuse to believe he's gay because that would really mess up my fantasy world. [Wink]

Nothing stopping you from fantasizing about a gay guy... just don't expect him to return the favor. [Wink]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jerry's Kids
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Jerry's Kids         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He could still be gay have had married/had kids. It's been done before (and probably still) to hide that they're one or both in the marriage are gay.

But yeah, as long as he's not having sex with any underage males OR females, who the NFBSK cares?

Posts: 114 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tootiredtocare:
quote:
Originally posted by Brillo Bee:

It's called acting. Quite a number of straight actors have portrayed gay men in plays, films with perfect accuracy. They even kissed other men because the role called for it. {snip}
Ummm, I know. That's why I said it means nothing.

I was just commenting that some people who saw him play a gay character in a movie might draw the conclusion that he must be gay.

~Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
Having been married is no infallible testament to heterosexuality. Some folks refer to this late coming out as "turning gay" rather than a person just finally accepting who they are... whatever. There are jerks out there who have all kinds of hang-ups.

But I have to say:

1. Why is it so important to you?
2. Would it really matter at all if he was?
3. More power to him either way. It's his life.

I will answer these questions again.

Its not all that important to me, I am trying to prove to my SO and his father that they may be mistaken. As well to my SO that just because there was a Thesis paper written about Homosexual celebrities and that Patrick Stewart was mention in the paper as a gay actor, does not mean that the paper is right. Since that is they only thing that SO dad found.

It wouldn't bother me one way or another if he was gay. I rarely watch anything that he is in to begin with.

What is with the people replying only to say that they don't care and neither should anyone else. Why bother to reply with something negative

E_E

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

smallpotatoes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smallpotatoes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

He also played Frasier's boyfriend on one episode. Even Frasier didn't know they were dating. [Wink]

Jaci

Posts: 47 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I was mostly trying to say, Enchanting Eyes, is that unless the paper has Patrick Stewart declaring himself gay, it's only speculation and (possibly) rumor on the writer's part. I would be curious to know what was written to "prove" he's gay, as the other celebrities you mention your SO and his dad have named were already out themselves.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

I wasnt referring to you. And from what I read from the piece the author was giving names of celebrities that were in fact gay and his name was beside Rupert Everett. I do believe it was a thesis paper, and yes it did have sources at the bottom. I am still trying to find it, without much luck with any combination of words and names on google.

To explain my comment:

I have notice in a few ( I am not saying all) celebrity threads someone will say something along the lines of these examples :

Why are even discussing this
Why is this even in the paper
I don't care

I could go on. The point I was trying to get across is why post something saying you don't care and this isnt worthy of discussion. Just because you ( in the general sense) don't find the topic to be so. I don't know its been bugging me for awhile and it happens often enough. It is not up to you ( in the general sense) to say that when someone clearly finds the topic worthy of discussing.

E who is putting her flame suit on E

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Enchanting_eyes, just a very, very wild guess.
Seeing that both Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen play in X-Men, COULD it be remotely possible that he mixed them up?

Just a guess...

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tootiredtocare
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootiredtocare     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the x-men movie series. But Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen do have a great onscreen chemistry and both from interviews appear really fun to be around.

Both are also Shakespearen actors if memory serves.

Posts: 320 | From: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smallpotatoes:
quote:

He also played Frasier's boyfriend on one episode. Even Frasier didn't know they were dating. [Wink]

Jaci

And a very funny episode, too. Stewart and Kelsey Grammar were both brilliant.

Frasier's BF, as they're dancing: "Do you feel the excitement?"
Frasier (panicky): "Oh yes, there it is!"

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And Patrick Stewart's first on-screen kiss was with a man, in the movie Lifeforce!
(In which a hot naked chick walked around for half the movie (i know that's not relevant to the topic, it's just something i remember from the movie, having seen it first when i was younger and pubescent (that sort of stuff sticks with you (which is why i sometimes find those awful fashions from the '80s kinda hot.))))

Not that that's evidence or anything. I agree that it really isn't anybody's business and that his Frasier episode was very funny.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tootiredtocare
Deck the Malls

Real bloody movie that Lifeforce was. Apparently the book it was based on was something else. It went into more details about the vampires. It was certaintly an interesting take on the vampire mythos.
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I can say is it doesn't matter, Picard could still come to my house and "make it so" any damn time. [Razz]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Or under 16 in the UK. If 25 year olds like him, so what? That's up to the parties involved.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
danascully
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danascully     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The gossip I've always heard about him is that he is straight and has a large..uh..phaser. Supposedly he and Whoopi (oh no! not Guinan) were a brief item.
Posts: 13 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
danascully
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danascully     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The gossip I've always heard about him is that he is straight and has a large..uh..phaser. Supposedly he and Whoopi (oh no! not Guinan) were a brief item.
Posts: 13 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages