snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Strong Like Bull?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strong Like Bull?
Hypno Toad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was talking movies with a friend over poker this weekend when he asked if I know where the movie quote ‘Strong like bull’ came from.

I remember it being used by Ben Stiller in ‘Something about Mary’, but it was suggested that this line is much older and was being re quoted.

IMDB has nothing on this (It’s usually quite good for quotes), while googling I found that this is a question that’s bugging quite a few people. There some instances listed – a 1950’s sit-com called ‘Make Room for Daddy’ and apparently Boris says it in ‘Rocky & Bullwinkle’ but I’m sure it’s been used in another movie. It’s driving me mad!

Any Ideas?

--------------------
A Freudian slip occurs when you say one thing while thinking amother - Cliff Claven

Formally Random Dan

Posts: 184 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 500 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you sure about it being old enough to have possibly been used on Rocky & Bullwinkle and Make Room for Daddy? I had thought I remembered the line being first used in a movie called Moscow on the Hudson with Robin Williams.

Certainly we've used the expression in my family since at least the '80s. And always with a bad fake Russian accent.

Now this is going to drive me crazy.

Ali "you vill please to keel Moose and Skvirrel" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turbo Snail
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbo Snail     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kevin Kline also said it in the movie "French Kiss"

--------------------
Has anyone seen my other shoe?

Posts: 40 | From: Richmond, Indiana | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hypno Toad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliBaba:
Are you sure about it being old enough to have possibly been used on Rocky & Bullwinkle and Make Room for Daddy?

AliBaba, I'm not too sure. I found that info in this thread. Who knows how reliable it is?

--------------------
A Freudian slip occurs when you say one thing while thinking amother - Cliff Claven

Formally Random Dan

Posts: 184 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can confirm that Uncle Tonoose used the phrase "Strong like bull" in the series "Make
Room for Daddy". When I saw the topic that was the first thing I thought of.

Interesting, because I have been thinking of that show a lot because of the situation with Israel and Hezbollah.

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad used to say "Strong like ox" when I was little (early 60s). Now that you mention Uncle Tonoose, I seem to remember seeing that in reruns and thinking he (Uncle Tonoose) got it wrong. [Smile] It would be just like my dad to take something from a show and change it a little like that, so the Make Room for Daddy reference is credible.

Also, Hans Conried played Uncle Tanoose, and he was a regular on Bullwinkle (he played Snidely Whiplash, among others). Whether that has any relevance, I don't know.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, Uncle Tonoose (Hans Conreid). I picked up the catch-phrase from him while just a nipper, and used it all through high school when asked to do something like move a desk ("Of course! I'm strong like bull!"). On "Make Room for Daddy," it was usually "Dan-yeen! I stronk like bool!"

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hypno Toad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Boris/Uncle Tonoose connection seems to jibe with what my friend was thinking ('Strong like Bull' delivered in a Russian accent), the only confusion I have is that living in the UK I don't think we've ever seen 'Make Room for Daddy' and only have a fleeting memory of 'Rocky & Bulwinkle'. Perhaps the line’s been repeated so often that it's just ingrained in my brain.

Thanks for all the info.

--------------------

Formally Random Dan

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages