snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » River Phoenix Funeral

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: River Phoenix Funeral
danascully
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danascully     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that someone tampered with River Phoenix body at his funeral and took gross pictures. I do NOT want to see these pictures, I just want to know what happened.
Posts: 13 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
XPhile
Cereal Killer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XPhile   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't heard anything about it, but welcome to the boards, Scully! [Smile]

--------------------
"If I am carrying Marilyn Monroe's purse, do you assume that I slept with JFK?"

Posts: 139 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the IMDB River Phoenix biography

quote:
River's last words (to the reporter trying to help him outside the Viper Room) were 'no paparazzi, I want anonymity'. His last request was not granted. The day before his cremation in Florida, a reporter broke into the funeral home, rearranged the body, and took a picture. This picture was later to be sold to the National Enquirer for $5,000.
ETA: Just in case anyone wants to see it, there is a photo of River in his coffin linked from the Find a Death website. (Not sure if this is the one from the National Enquirer, or was took by a mourner).

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, there are plenty of links and references to a picture of the actor's corpse - nothing gross about it, other than the essential unattractiveness of an image of the body of a young man who recently died a traumatic death. It doesn't look too 'tampered with' to me...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
danascully
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danascully     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank. On Find A Death website there were strong warnings about the picture so I thought there was something amiss.
Posts: 13 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow- he looks pretty rough. Hard to believe this was all the better they could do with him.

I noticed that his lips look a bit parted so you can see his teeth a bit...not normal from what I know. Maybe someone did goof around a bit before taking the photo?

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since he was going to be creamated, I guess they didn't use the cosmetics usually used before viewings.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is also up to the family whether or not to use cosmetics on the body. Some chose not to.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen alot of death pics and memento mori but wow he looks not just dead, but scary dead.

At least his death was quick and with all those drugs, probably almost painless.

--------------------
~All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~
E.A.Poe

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The name might have gotten mixed up, 'cause I heard another story that was similar...

They let fans into the morgue to see John Lennon's body, and some sick pieces of shit apparently filmed themselves doing gross stuff like making his mouth move...

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
I noticed that his lips look a bit parted so you can see his teeth a bit...not normal from what I know. Maybe someone did goof around a bit before taking the photo?

A little down the page, it says that a mortician wrote them and said that the body was embalmed, but the job was done very badly.

Pope Pius XII suffered the same fate. His "doctor" embalmed him so poorly that the guards had to be rotated every 15 minutes or they would faint from the stench.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wow- he looks pretty rough.

No shit! [lol]

I've seen worse looking people who are very much alive so I don't get what the fuss is here.

You all seem to be forgetting that his death was very traumatic - he'd collapsed multiple times and was convulsing face down on a concrete sidewalk. When you take into account the beating his body would have taken as they tried to resuscitate him, including open heart surgery, well, ya ain't leaving a beautiful corpse, no matter how much you lived fast and died young...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
quote:
Wow- he looks pretty rough.

No shit! [lol]

I've seen worse looking people who are very much alive so I don't get what the fuss is here.

You all seem to be forgetting that his death was very traumatic - he'd collapsed multiple times and was convulsing face down on a concrete sidewalk. When you take into account the beating his body would have taken as they tried to resuscitate him, including open heart surgery, well, ya ain't leaving a beautiful corpse, no matter how much you lived fast and died young...

Yes, but I would expect that in the event that a corpse is put on display it's made to look as nice as possible. As someone pointed however, that isn't always the case- didn't know that. Had a friend get pretty banged up in a fatal car crash and they made him up pretty good.
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan_kerry   E-mail susan_kerry   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is slightly unusual from a European persepctive, as the body is never put on display. Whilst people (usually only close family) can go and see the corpse at the funeral home it isn't traditional to put it on display- even with the very famous.

As such ANY after death photos are a bit creepy.

Posts: 320 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by susan_kerry:
This is slightly unusual from a European persepctive, as the body is never put on display. Whilst people (usually only close family) can go and see the corpse at the funeral home it isn't traditional to put it on display- even with the very famous.

Not in my experience. Family funerals have been the only times I've ever seen open caskets, and I'm Spanish. I've seen the same with Italian and Polish families, as well.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages