snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Dr. Phil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. Phil
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Recently heard that Dr. Phil lost his license to practice medicine in Texas because he had an affair with a female client. Is this true or not true?
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I doubt it, but only because I can't imagine someone having sex with Dr. Phil. And I don't want to imagine it. Ick.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
klim5150
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 14 posted      Profile for klim5150   E-mail klim5150   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes and No. The Texas State Board of Psychologists has the following information listed from 1989: McGraw, Phillip C. Wichita Falls Dual relationship; Violation-Code of Ethics: Supervised Practice (1 yr); Satisfactory Completion of Professional Ethics Course and Board’s Jurisprudence Exam; Physical and Psycho- logical Evaluations

According to the story, depending on who you believe, after being reprimanded by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists for an "inappropriate dual relationship" with a therapy client in 1988, McGraw was required to take ethics classes in order to continue his private practice in Texas. McGraw admits to giving the client a job at his office (which of course isn't allowed) but denied carrying on a sexual relationship with the 19 year old, who says their relationship was both sexual and codependent.Shortly thereafter he founded Courtroom Sciences, Inc, which is how he glommed on to the great and powerful Oprah.

(Information courtesy of the Texas State Board of Psychologists and Wikipedia, who had the fact that he never completed the coursework required as a part of his reprimand wrong.)

My .02:Nutjob...a tall nutjob, but a nutjob nonethless.

--------------------
" 'Shut up', he explained. " -Ring Lardner

Posts: 30 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he is HOT...but then again I am a nut myself [Big Grin]

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sandman
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never had much use for Dr. Phil. He always seemed to me to be way too self-righetous and glib for my tastes.

But I gotta tell ya...the fact that he agreed to be in "Scary Movie 4" really upped his stick with me. He can't have THAT big of a stick of his backside if he has enough of a sense of humor to do a "SAW" parody with Shaq where he cuts off the wrong foot [Smile]

--------------------
"I will tell you in another life, when we are both cats."

Posts: 308 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't even think he is a psichologist, more of a taking head actually.

In Scary Movie 4 he says he is actually an electrition, but thats just a movie so who knows.

--------------------
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T,

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In Scary Movie 4 he says he is actually an electrition, but thats just a movie so who knows.

[Roll Eyes]

From Wikipedia's biography of Dr. Phil:

quote:
He was given a football scholarship to attend the University of Tulsa, but was injured and forced to transfer to Midwestern State University. He graduated with a B.A. in psychology in 1975. He earned his Master's degree at University of North Texas in experimental psychology and a Doctorate in clinical psychology in 1979.
I will admit to being a sporadic watcher of Dr. Phil if a show sounds interesting, but a rabid fan I am not. However much you don't like his advice, he is qualified to give it and people want it. I'm sure he worked hard for his degrees and it's rude to say that he's lying about having them.
Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't question his academic credentials, but he does give a misleading impression of what seeing a psychologist is about. Real counseling is not about the therapist; it's about people finding their own way through their problems. The therapist's role is primarily to listen and only offer advice when the client seems to be at a dead end. Dr. Phil seems as though he can barely wait for people to finish telling their stories so he can start on his "good ol' boy talkin' common sense" schtick.

He also seems driven to play rescuer, which no ethical therapist will do. Overweight? He'll pay to send you to a spa. Kids out of control? He'll pay to send them to boot camp. Marriage gone stale? He'll pay to send the two of you on a romantic vacation together. I know, this is television, but I can imagine some couple showing up at a real marriage counselor's and sayng, "Ok, we've told you our problems, now where's our all-expense-paid second honeymoon?"

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mari:

He also seems driven to play rescuer, which no ethical therapist will do. Overweight? He'll pay to send you to a spa. Kids out of control? He'll pay to send them to boot camp. Marriage gone stale? He'll pay to send the two of you on a romantic vacation together. I know, this is television, but I can imagine some couple showing up at a real marriage counselor's and sayng, "Ok, we've told you our problems, now where's our all-expense-paid second honeymoon?"

As you said, it is television - and for better or worse, that's what talk shows do now - give stuff away. If he's going to get ratings, he's got to keep up with the Joneses (not the Jenny Joneses, but more like the Montels, the Oprahs, and the Tyras).

The things he pays for don't solve the problems the guests have - they give the guests resources for solving the problems. A weekend retreat will not cure a couple's marriage, but may give the couple the time in a neutral environment to work on things. Same with a spa (or gym membership) for someone overweight - the person must still get on the treadmill and eat the right foods.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages