snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Little House on the Prairie fire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Little House on the Prairie fire
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 501 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Did Michael Landon really burn down the Little House on the Prairie sets after the series wrapped so he’d never have to do a reunion movie/series?
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pilchik
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for pilchik   E-mail pilchik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It could have come from this story.

quote:
Location Trivia: While on location at Brown's Meadow, Michael Landon was more than happy to want to burn down Joe and Alice's house, as in his script, however, the California Department of Forestry wouldn't let him, because the fire danger was too high. So he left the pre-fabricated house at the meadow, and a second mock-up was built on the Doonevan Flats area at Warner Brothers, in Burbank, where it goes up in flames.

--------------------
"20 years of boredom"

Posts: 242 | From: Niagara Falls, Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the last show had them blowing up all the sets to keep the buildings from being taken by some sort of evil real estate people...or something.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there's this:
quote:
In the "The Last Farewell", they really did blow up the town. Producer/star Michael Landon didn't want the bulldozers to crush the buildings. So he wrote a story which gave the inhabitants the chance to destroy their town themselves. They did not however destroy the home that the Ingalls had lived in. That was destroyed by the fires in California in late 2003.
Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't "The Last Farewell" itself a reunion movie? It's been ages, but I seem to recall thinking the show had been off the air for some time when that one appeared.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure they did at least 2 or 3 movies after the show officially went off the air. That one, obviously!, was the last one.

I'd long long since stopped watching it by then, it just strayed too far from the books for me, so I never saw any of them myself though.

EDIT: checked out Melissa Gilbert on IMDB and they made 3 "telefilms" after the series went off the air. The show where they blow up the town was the last show filmed but the second of the three to air. Looking at the info for each film reminds me of why I didn't watch [Eek!] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shamrock
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shamrock   E-mail Shamrock   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember watching the show when they were blowing up the buildings. Something about their land claims had been invalidated and big, bad evil developer was taking possession of the town.

I was amazed that even with the primitive equipment in their sawmill they were able to make 4 x 8 sheets of plywood. There were quite a few flying in the air when the pushed the plunger on the dynamite.

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 891 | From: New England | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard they blew up the sets so they could NOT be used for another show or movie

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never watched the show, but it does give new meaning to an old SNL joke, where they started off with a title card and Don Pardo announcing, "The Little House on the Prairie Burns to the Ground will not be seen tonight, so we can bring you the following special program..."

(The other one of those I recall was the famous "Bruce Jenner Wins the Javelin Catch.")

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages