snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » The final Calvin and Hobbes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The final Calvin and Hobbes
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 503 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard that when the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes ended, the
original 'last strip' was rejected, and the "let's go exploring" strip ran
instead. The rejected strip supposedly shows Calvin talking about life
and philosophy for several panels. Then, Calvin asks "don't you think so
Hobbes?" Hobbes doesn't answer. After a moment, Calvin turns around and
sees Hobbes, in stuffed animal form. Calvin simply says "Oh", and walks
off, leaving Hobbes sitting there. Is there any truth to this???

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of people wanted clarification about Calvin and Hobbes - was 'live' Hobbes imaginary, or magic or whatever, and this supposed final strip would fit with a lot of people's impressions, but the creator steadfastly refused to be drawn, letting people make up their own minds because quite frankly, it made no sense to try and make sense of the situation.

I would say that Hobbes was Calvin's inner dialogues made form so we could 'hear' them. Hobbes was routinely put into the washing machine, chewed by dogs, even having actual stitching unraveling whilst in 'live' form, so it makes sense to me that 'he' was imaginary, and from this perspective I wouldn't have though Waterson would have bothered with such a strip, and if he did, Calvin would have just stormed off, muttering at Hobbes for being so taciturn [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlew919
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlew919   E-mail dlew919   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Watterson himself was always deliberately unclear on the idea of Hobbes's consciousness. He certainly rejected the idea that Hobbes came alive when it was just Calvin, and seemed to reject the idea that it was all in Calvin's head. You can read all about it in the 10th anniversary book (which I don't have to hand...)

I doubt the story is true: Watterson had a better grasp of narrative than what seems a highly 'obvious'and cliched look at growing up.

However, as a perusal of snopes.com will show, stranger things have happened.

--------------------
I am, therefore I think

Posts: 56 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stevebot
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Stevebot     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A final strip like that described would have broken my heart [Frown]

--------------------
"Das war ein Vorspiel nur, dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine

Posts: 17 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Demonic Matt
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demonic Matt   E-mail Demonic Matt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a Calvin and Hobbes strip on another forum that I'm on, it showed Calvin talking to Hobbes about something, and then the final just showed Hobbes as a stuffed toy, I've gone back to the forum and have even gone through the person who posted it's posts and I haven't found it.
Posts: 60 | From: North Wales | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the 10th Anniversary book, and it doesn't mention anything about this supposed strip. Since in the book Watterson expounds in a very oppinionated manner about a number of subjects, and blasts both his syndicate and newspaper editores a few times, I can't imagine he wouldn't mention a "rejected" final strip.

Plus, by the end of his run Watterson had a LOT of clout. Reportedly, he single-handedly managed to secure a fixed format for his Sunday strip, something nobody had ever achieved before; also, he managed to stop his syndicate from franchising Calvin and Hobbes. That's milliones of dollars lost by the syndicate --which, Watterson concedes, they had the right to do without even asking him. Still, they didn't do it out of respect for him. Again, I can't see them killing his final strip --or Watterson standing for it.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bethntim
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bethntim         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope that isn't the case, I love Calvin and Hobbes, I have all the books and the snowman series still cracks me up.

--------------------
Take only pictures, leave only footprints...

Posts: 255 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demonic Matt:
I saw a Calvin and Hobbes strip on another forum that I'm on, it showed Calvin talking to Hobbes about something, and then the final just showed Hobbes as a stuffed toy

This one?

-

Someone's cruel little spoof.

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I thought I was going crazy until I found some backup. I was certain that Hobbes is often shown as a stuffed animal whenever anyone other than Calvin is around. Here's a great example:

Hobbes in the rain

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure that Hobbes did always appear as a stuffed toy and nothing more when other people were around. I can't think of any strips where he didn't.

The tenth anniversary book appeared shortly before Watterson retired the strip, so if there was any controversy over the final strip, it wouldn't be mentioned in the book because it hadn't happened yet. That said, as others have pointed out, Watterson had pretty much won the right to do anything he wanted with the strip by then, so I doubt there was a different last strip...he wouldn't have let the syndicate push him aside easily at all; and if they had done so, he'd have whined about it in one of the reprint books the way he has about all his other battles with them.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quack
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quack   E-mail Quack   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
quote:
Originally posted by Demonic Matt:
I saw a Calvin and Hobbes strip on another forum that I'm on, it showed Calvin talking to Hobbes about something, and then the final just showed Hobbes as a stuffed toy

This one?

-

On the contrary, I don't see it as a cruel spoof of Calvin and Hobbes, and I doubt that was the artist's intent. I see it as a well deserved indictment of a society which uses drugs to chemically subdue any child deemed "hard to handle" by parents or teachers. Calvin would certainly be considered such a child in today's climate, and price of the "pills working" is the loss of his unique spirit.

I think it's brilliant.

--------------------
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Buddha

Posts: 32 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if I agree. Yes, parents these days do tend to be too quick to dope the kids up with Ritalin, but that doesn't mean such treatments are never warranted. And Calvin was a pretty good (if obvously satirical) portrait of a kid who did need the help. I do think the spoof is pretty well done, though, in the sense that it pretty clearly is what would happen to Calvin on pills.

--------------------

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave. Dry. Crisp. Witty.:
I'm pretty sure that Hobbes did always appear as a stuffed toy and nothing more when other people were around. I can't think of any strips where he didn't.

The tenth anniversary book appeared shortly before Watterson retired the strip, so if there was any controversy over the final strip, it wouldn't be mentioned in the book because it hadn't happened yet.

The strip would have been drawn probably several mothes before it ran in the papers.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quack

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quack   E-mail Quack   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not sure if I agree. Yes, parents these days do tend to be too quick to dope the kids up with Ritalin, but that doesn't mean such treatments are never warranted.

I didn't say that it is never warranted. But sadly, it seems like it's become the first choice instead of the last resort for parents and educators. Out of 19 kids in my daughter's third grade class, 9 are on some sort of medication for behavior or learning disorders. Since I don't live near Chernobyl, I find it difficult to believe that all or even a majority of those kids have legitimate problems. Other than poor parenting and lazy educators, that it.

quote:
And Calvin was a pretty good (if obvously satirical) portrait of a kid who did need the help. I do think the spoof is pretty well done, though, in the sense that it pretty clearly is what would happen to Calvin on pills.
So if Calvin did indeed "need the help" and what happened to him on the pills is what is supposed to happen, is that a GOOD thing? Drugging a obviously vibrant, imaginative child into submission? Unless the child's behavior is criminal or actually puts him or others in danger, I would avoid drugging a child at all costs.

I'm sorry to derail the thread like this, but this is something that greatly concerns me. Drugs are being used as a substitute for parenting. I've seen this firsthand. Parents I know who have made little to no effort to control their children. Letting them run wild at parties, school events, restaurants with no attempt at discipline other than a weak "Honey, could you please stop writing on the walls for Mommy..."

In many cases, these are the parents who drug their children. Blaming some disorder instead of their own failure as parents, aided by a medical/pharmaceutical industry that makes billions assuring them that it's not their fault.

Sorry for the rant. [Frown]

--------------------
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Buddha

Posts: 32 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quack

WAFFLES

--------------------

Quack

More waffles.

Sorry, computer problem... [Embarrassed]

--------------------

piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, whether it's cruel spoof or social commentary, it still makes me want to cry.

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zylly
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zylly   E-mail Zylly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I've heard that when the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes ended, the
original 'last strip' was rejected, and the "let's go exploring" strip ran
instead. The rejected strip supposedly shows Calvin talking about life
and philosophy for several panels. Then, Calvin asks "don't you think so
Hobbes?" Hobbes doesn't answer. After a moment, Calvin turns around and
sees Hobbes, in stuffed animal form. Calvin simply says "Oh", and walks
off, leaving Hobbes sitting there. Is there any truth to this???

Wow. That would have just been so incredibly powerful and heartbraking... What an ending that might have been.

--------------------
"The internet? Is that thing still around?"

Posts: 66 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quack:
Out of 19 kids in my daughter's third grade class, 9 are on some sort of medication for behavior or learning disorders. Since I don't live near Chernobyl, I find it difficult to believe that all or even a majority of those kids have legitimate problems. Other than poor parenting and lazy educators, that it.

Wow, that’s quite an assumption. You personally know each and every one of 9 children’s medical and psychological history? You go home with them and observe how they are parented? Quite frankly, it disturbs me that anyone other than the person responsible for giving the children their medicine and the teacher (And perhaps the school admin) are even aware that they are on medication. It's not yours, nor anyone else’s business.

ET correct an error.

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
quote:
I'm not sure if I agree. Yes, parents these days do tend to be too quick to dope the kids up with Ritalin, but that doesn't mean such treatments are never warranted.

I didn't say that it is never warranted. But sadly, it seems like it's become the first choice instead of the last resort for parents and educators. Out of 19 kids in my daughter's third grade class, 9 are on some sort of medication for behavior or learning disorders. Since I don't live near Chernobyl, I find it difficult to believe that all or even a majority of those kids have legitimate problems. Other than poor parenting and lazy educators, that it.

So far, I agree with you.

quote:

So if Calvin did indeed "need the help" and what happened to him on the pills is what is supposed to happen, is that a GOOD thing? Drugging a obviously vibrant, imaginative child into submission? Unless the child's behavior is criminal or actually puts him or others in danger, I would avoid drugging a child at all costs.

But a lot of Calvin's behavior did put himself and others in danger, or at the very least was unacceptable for a number of reasons (i.e., trying to drive his mother's car, letting Susie almost get punished for something at school when he was the real culprit, peeing out his bedroom window, etc.). And although he certainly was imaginitive, he also never paid any attention at all to his schoolwork even though it was often implied that he was really very smart. On top of all that, he was also very disruptive in school and probably made learning a lot more difficult for his classmates. (As an ex teacher, I can tell you from experience that real life kids like Calvin are a lot less entertaining than you might think!)

quote:

In many cases, these are the parents who drug their children. Blaming some disorder instead of their own failure as parents, aided by a medical/pharmaceutical industry that makes billions assuring them that it's not their fault.

True, but I think the strip usually illustrated Calvin's parents as having really tried to curb his behavior, to no avail at all. That is why I think a real life child like that would be a good candidate for really being in need of Ritalin. I also am not convinced it would kill his imagination as that strip suggests. It just might enable him to actually concentrate on learning and behaving a bit better while still enjoying being a kid.

--------------------

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is an assumption, but the numbers are still a bit disturbing. I was in elementary school just as Ritalin was becoming a major issue - everyone knew who was on it because right before lunch a teacher would walk that herd of children up to the office to take their medicine (teachers could not dispense, all medication had to be held at the office and administered by a school administrator). Not to mention how many went from energetic kids to zoned out zombines in the middle of a semester. I know it really helps some kids, but I also know way too many whose parents just didn't seem to be able to cope with a kid being a kid.

That Calvin comic may be not be authentic, but I find the commentary sadly true.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, when I was in school, in 5th grade actually my parents were SO QUICK to put me on ritalin it wasn't funny! At the meer MENTION that I might POSSIBLY have ADD they stuck me on ritalin! Not only was I completely humilated having to take the pill AT SCHOOL at LUNCH being called the the nurses office, as it turns out I don't even HAVE ADD or ADHD. So I agree medication IS a substitute for good parenting. I mean everytime I would act up in 5th grade my parents would always be the first to say "Did you take your pills today?"

Anyway, I love Calvin and Hobbes and I have all the books somewhere at my parent's house. If the last strip really WAS like the first post mentioned it would have been sad. [Frown]

~Monica

Edited for bad spelling

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was one Calvin and Hobbes that I recall in which Hobbes was "live" and another character was in the panel. It involved Calvin and Hobbes sledding by in the background with Susie building a snowman in the foreground; however, Susie was not looking in their direction.

(edited to fix spelling)

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this is probably contributing to a train wreck, but as a kid I had a big imagination. I still do, which is why I write. But I also wasn't "drugged" until they were convinced that throwing up every morning before school meant anti-anxiety agents might not be a bad thing.

If we are supposedly drugging creative kids, how come I didn't get any?

Sister "not that it helped..." Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:

Maybe you weren't disruptive enough.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Mousemallow:
quote:

Maybe you weren't disruptive enough.

Nonny

That was my point. "Creative" and "disruptive" are not synonyms.

Sister "and i do have one" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Miles Invictus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Invictus   E-mail Miles Invictus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:

-

On the contrary, I don't see it as a cruel spoof of Calvin and Hobbes, and I doubt that was the artist's intent. I see it as a well deserved indictment of a society which uses drugs to chemically subdue any child deemed "hard to handle" by parents or teachers. Calvin would certainly be considered such a child in today's climate, and price of the "pills working" is the loss of his unique spirit.

I think it's brilliant.

Brilliant, it may be. But I spent my entire childhood reading Calvin and Hobbes, and seeing that (even knowing it's fake) really depresses me.
Posts: 236 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 14 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is driving me batty. I'm absolutely positive that the idea of Calvin seeing Hobbes as a stuffed tiger like everyone else had was proposed by a well-known columnist at the time that Watterson announced his intent to stop doing C&H. I want to say it was Dave Barry, but I don't think that's right.

Will do some digging, but I distinctly remember it. I could have the timing wrong as well. The column may have run after the last C&H strip ran. But I'm sure I'm right about it being a columnist.

As far as anyone else tampering with a Watterson strip, I can only state my vehement objection. No matter how pure the motivation might be, it's just plain wrong. Tampering with an artists work is always objectionable. Tampering with art that attained the sheer perfection of Calvin & Hobbes should be a hanging offense. Every time I see one of those revolting "Calvin-peeing-on-the-(Chevy/Ford/whatever) car window stickers, I want to ram the other car.

Ali "Van Gogh with Banana" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know this is probably contributing to a train wreck, but as a kid I had a big imagination. I still do, which is why I write. But I also wasn't "drugged" until they were convinced that throwing up every morning before school meant anti-anxiety agents might not be a bad thing.

Sister "not that it helped..." Ray

Good question. Because I was one of the ADHD kids on Ritalin, and until someone actually took it seriously, I could never focus on anything long enough to channel all this wonderous creativity into something concrete. That is what ADHD does, and that's why treatment actually aids, not stifles, the creative mind.

The zombification comments puzzle me. Ritalin is an amphetamine. A child on a small dose that is not going to act like a zombie. To get an *actual* state like that would mean an overdose, and most children are given very small initial doses. I suspect this is mostly urban legend.

As is this perception that kids are being doped up constantly - it is estimated that 3-5% of all children actually have ADHD. However, only 1-2% of all children are even on Ritalin in the first place(cite). So either this 1-2% is underprescribed, or perhaps Ritalin isn't the first step in ADHD treatment (it wasn't in mine).

Sorry - the lack of education related to ADHD compared to the amount of people who opine about it is staggering. It's also my munchkin, obviousy. We need a hanging munchkin icon somehow...

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ritalin is an amphetamine, but for whatever reason it has the opposite effect on children. According to this page, scientists don't even understand how it works.

As for the "zombification," all I know is that the behavior of the kids I was in school turned very odd when most started their daily marches to the office. Squirmy boys turned to sitting at their desks with glazed-over expressions. I saw that happen with my own eyes, repeatedly. If it helps them in the long run, that's great, but it was freaking creepy for me to watch the changes at the time.

As for the disparity in numbers, do these studies count only Ritalin, or similar drugs and generic forms? Is it also prescribed in cases where there isn't an official diagnosis of ADD/ADHD/"whatever the current term" is? No snark intended or anything - I'm no expert on it so I don't know, I just remember I started hearing the terms and the drug names tossed around in the early 1990s when I noticed the increase in boys marching to the office every day.

While "1-2%" of children are on Ritalin, I have a feeling those prescriptions aren't distributed evenly. Perhaps I just happened to be in an area where more kids were being diagnosed, or else a doctor was really loose about prescribing it.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lost post! argh!

I had heard the "Calvin sees Hobbes as a toy" rumour, but also that the final strip would be "Calvin turns 6". Do we ever see Calvin have a birthday?

I always rather liked the first rumour. It may be obvious but there is poignancy to it, rather like the end of The House at Pooh Corner. I don't see the spoof as being "cruel" to C&H readers - surely we have the philosophical armour we need to deal with it, after all those years of boy-tiger discourse?!

I can't comment on whether it's "cruel" to those with ADD/ADHD or on related meds.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
Ritalin is an amphetamine, but for whatever reason it has the opposite effect on children. According to this page, scientists don't even understand how it works.

As for the "zombification," all I know is that the behavior of the kids I was in school turned very odd when most started their daily marches to the office. Squirmy boys turned to sitting at their desks with glazed-over expressions. I saw that happen with my own eyes, repeatedly. If it helps them in the long run, that's great, but it was freaking creepy for me to watch the changes at the time.

As for the disparity in numbers, do these studies count only Ritalin, or similar drugs and generic forms? Is it also prescribed in cases where there isn't an official diagnosis of ADD/ADHD/"whatever the current term" is? No snark intended or anything - I'm no expert on it so I don't know, I just remember I started hearing the terms and the drug names tossed around in the early 1990s when I noticed the increase in boys marching to the office every day.

While "1-2%" of children are on Ritalin, I have a feeling those prescriptions aren't distributed evenly. Perhaps I just happened to be in an area where more kids were being diagnosed, or else a doctor was really loose about prescribing it.

Yes, I am certain it is more than 1-2% in my kids' school. Either that or I just happen to know every kid in the school on Ritalin.

The thing about Ritalin is that the effect you describe works with everyone, not just people with ADHD. Small doses of amphetamines, any amphetamine, make it easier to concentrate.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to further derail the thread, as a teacher, I have never observed treatment with ritalin (or similar drugs) to make any of my students drowsy. I have to qualify that, though, by saying that very, very few of my students have been treated with ritalin - maybe 6 or 7 kids in 13 years of teaching. This year, I have a student who is a zombie when he is NOT on medication. This poor kid is a space cadet. He is absolutley unable to concentrate or get much done, socially or academically. His parents, after much research and consultation with 2 educational psychologists, a pediatrician, and a major children's hospital, put him on medication. They ruled out other developmental problems, and put him on a tirla of medication. He is a different kid. He has gone from getting nothing done, to getting As. All of a sudden, he talks to other kids, and to adults. He has gone from being a social outcast (because of his inability to maintain a conversation, or work in groups) to having some friends. For this kid, medication was the right idea. And he doesn't have to take it at school - he's on a long-acting form that he takes in the morning.

I realize that this is one acecdote, and not necessarily a typical situation. However, I think recounting it has as much validitiy as the ranting of those who base their opinions on assumptions and misinformation.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just so nobody thinks I abandoned this, I'm travelling back home today and since this is a personal topic, I want to devote proper time to it.

But to make one quick on-topic comment: I doubt Watterson would ever end Calvin and Hobbes so neatly. It would be terribly depressing - it would be Calvin losing his reality to the one of the adults.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hobbes
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The alternate last strip you guys are referring to is fictitious.
It was conceived in an article in the Washington Post on November 19, 1995 written by Frank Ahrens called “So Long, Kid: An Obituary For a Boy, His Tiger and Our Innocence”, after Bill Watterson had announced that the final Calvin and Hobbes cartoon would be printed on December 31st. In it, he speculated about the final strip saying:

“There is no telling how Watterson will choose to end things on Dec. 31. There is no telling what his last panel will be, or even if he will acknowledge that it is the last. Perhaps the Dec. 31 strip will look just like the one the day before -- a stand-alone gag that, by its appearance only, implies another tomorrow. But on Jan. 1, another simply will not come.
However Watterson chooses to end Calvin and Hobbes, there is really only one end. It will live in my brain forever, if not on the newspaper page.
Dec. 31 is a Sunday, so Calvin and Hobbes will go out in color and in large panels. As it should. The artwork will be typically vivid, with elastic colors, fabulous contrasts in scale, angles that look as though they were photographed by a cinematographer, a command of light and shadow worthy of Degas, frames twitching with speed and frenzy.
Because the strip is seasonal, it will be snowing. The first two panels of the Sunday cartoon are generally a self-contained joke that sets the tone for the rest of the strip. Perhaps in the first frame, Calvin will be hurtling pell-mell down some ridiculously steep snowy bank on a sled, with Hobbes sitting behind, holding on for dear life and questioning the wisdom of the descent. They will be airborne.
In the second frame, they will be buried in the snow, face first, only their legs and bottoms sticking up. Hobbes will make a sarcastic comment about Calvin's lack of foresight, and Calvin will obliquely threaten violence to Hobbes.
Then, they will be building a snowman together. Side by side, they will push a small snowball into a big one and it will be the base of the snowman. Calvin will wipe his brow. Hobbes will remind Calvin that tigers are tropical. There will be a conversation and it will be something about grown-ups.
Calvin will say he hears something; maybe it's a monster.
"What's that?" he'll ask Hobbes.
"It's just your imagination," Hobbes will reply.
Then Calvin will turn away for a moment, to fashion the snowman's head. He will need help lifting it onto the torso, so he will call for his best friend, Hobbes. But Hobbes will not respond.
Calvin will turn around.
Hobbes will be there. But he will be small and stuffed and have short, blunted paws and button eyes. He will be slumped forward in the snow, flaccid, lifeless.
Calvin will blink. "Huh."
And then he will simply shuffle away, off the page, leaving behind his stuffed tiger, and the unfinished snowman, and his wonderful, wonderful childhood.”

If you know anything about Bill Watterson, you know that he would not compromise any of his work let alone the finale to 10 years of labor…Hell, he wouldn’t even allow any merchandising at all for fear of it exploiting his ideas which cost him conservatively about 10 million a year in income.

By ending the strip the way he did, he in a way kept their lives going, by making it seem as though their lives go on, just without us seeing them. "It's a magical world ol' buddy... let's go exploring!" And Calvin and Hobbes depart on their sled, leaving us in the real world dumbfounded...not being able to contemplate the fact that they're gone.

--------------------
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
-Calvin

Posts: 96 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages