snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Battle Royale - based on reality?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Battle Royale - based on reality?
Demonic Matt
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Demonic Matt   E-mail Demonic Matt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A guy I know told me that "The reason the film Battle Royale was so effective in Japan is because its based on an actual idea thought up by the government as a way of controlling the population"

Can anyone shed any light on this?

(By the way, Battle Royale is a Japanese film in which schoolchildren are sent to an island and and forced to fight each other)

[ 04. February 2006, 08:16 AM:   snopes ]

Posts: 60 | From: North Wales | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The reason the film "Battle Royale" wa so well recieved in Japan is most likely due to the fact that it came from a best selling Japanese novel.

The author, Koushun Takami, was a small town journalist and the book bears resemblances to other literary works. These include "The Most Dangerous Game", "Lord of the Flies", and Stephen King's "The Running Man." The author even named the town in the book Shiroiwa which translates as Castle Rock, which is the town used in several of King's works.

The government would never attempt to even suggest a policy like this.

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I own this movie on DVD and it fascinates me in a way I'm not sure I could ever fully describe. here's a link to a pretty good review of the film that gives some more information on why it was made.

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CultOfBob
It's Snow Joke

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CultOfBob     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unlikely. Youth problems have been on the mind of a lot of Japanese people (and it’s press), but I hardly doubt that a government trying to get a permanent seat in the UN would try to implement something like this. It would also be return to Japan’s more imperialistic days which they are obviously trying to move away from as a developed nation.

--------------------
-For Rent-

Posts: 37 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senshisteph
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demonic Matt:
A guy I know told me that "The reason the film Battle Royale was so effective in Japan is because its based on an actual idea thought up by the government as a way of controlling the population

I somehow doubt that a country on the brink of a birthrate crisis would want to start killing off youngsters!!

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Funkmistress
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Funkmistress   E-mail Funkmistress   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ Seriously. Your buddy seems to be confusing Japan with China. Anyway, killing off 100 or so schoolkids a year isn't going to do much in a country of 100 million people. Besides, the aim of the program in the movie isn't population control, it's deterrance (juvenile delinquency being a major problem).

But yeah, the movie's based on a novel.

Posts: 223 | From: Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Funkmistress:
^ Seriously. Your buddy seems to be confusing Japan with China. Anyway, killing off 100 or so schoolkids a year isn't going to do much in a country of 100 million people.

Actually, I haven't seen the movie recently, but in the book, it's mentioned that they do this 50 times a year, in every district - the book is set in an alternate universe where a single despotic nation covers most of South-East Asia.

So, 50 classes from each district, on average about 30 or 40 students per class (let's call it 35), an unknown number of districts, but let's call it 47, the same number as the number of prefectures real-world Japan is divided into. Book is set in 1997, the BR program was initially introduced after the war, so let's call it 1945. So, 52 years this program's been going.

50 classes * (35 students - 1 survivor) * 47 districts == 79900 dead students every year, or a total of 4,154,800 dead students since the program started. This isn't including the children they wouldn't have. I'm not qualified to guess how this would effect the current population of the Republic.

The mortality rate of 79900 14 year olds (well, mostly 14 year olds...there'd no doubt be some 13 and 15 year olds) a year would be fairly effective population control, in Japan.

But, we've already established such a program was never proposed by Japan because, a) they've never actually faced over-population, and are, in fact, facing a decline and b) even if they had, far less draconian methods are available, and far more likely to be accepted.

And, in the book, the reasons for the program are presented as military neccessety, but are really intended to keep the population scared and divided, so they can't rebel.

The movie's version - that it's in response to a growing juvenile crime rate - makes a lot less sense, because of the lottery aspect of the classes being chosen. But it certainly went a long way to making the story resonate in Japan.

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PhiloPharynx
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhiloPharynx   E-mail PhiloPharynx   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I own the movie and thoroughly enjoy it. However, one thing really bugs me. If they're trying to deter crime, why are they killing the kids who go to school? Why not kill the kids who aren't?
Posts: 64 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PhiloPharynx:
I own the movie and thoroughly enjoy it. However, one thing really bugs me. If they're trying to deter crime, why are they killing the kids who go to school? Why not kill the kids who aren't?

Oh, yeah. There you go ruining my suspension of disbelief. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages