snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Don Knotts' sinecure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don Knotts' sinecure
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 601 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Don Knotts, he and Andy Griffith became close friends in real
life. (while filming The Andy Griffith Show) According to legend, Andy
Griffith threatened to quit Matlock (his famous detective TV show) unless
they brought Don Knotts on as a recurring character. Hence, that's why Don
Knotts appears in the later episodes of Matlock from time to time. Can you
verify this as true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that Don Knotts was given a recurring role to help Don out when he wasnt geting work and Andy felt bad for his friends. They were firends after all. I doubt that hw threatened to quit since the show had allot of other guest stars from his other show.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A star getting work for an old friend on his show? I find that hard to believe.

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I demand a confirmation on this.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I believe that Andy would quit in order to get Knotts a spot, but I also don't think he'd have any reason to. I'm guessing that if Andy wanted him on then it wasn't a big deal to make that happen. I have no evidence of this, but that's just my thoughts on it.

BTW Andy Griffith is one of my favorite entertainers. He just seems like such a great guy.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
BTW Andy Griffith is one of my favorite entertainers. He just seems like such a great guy.

He's a talented entertainer, but that on screen persona is strictly that. He's known for being a curmudgeon IRL - I used to live in his area in coastal NC and there were several stories. In fact he chewed out a friend of mine's wife for something (she sings some professionally and they were in some sort of benefit).

Billy Bob Thornton has a pretty good story he told on The Tonight Show - he was doing a guest shot on Matlock before his career took off. He walked up to Griffith on-set and said something like, "Mr. Griffith I'm a huge fan & you're the reason I got into acting." Griffith said nothing and walked away as if no one was there. Years later, when Billy Bob became famous, he asked Griffith about that & he told him he must've been having a baaaaad (shakes his jowls) day.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hoitoider:
...He walked up to Griffith on-set and said something like, "Mr. Griffith I'm a huge fan & you're the reason I got into acting." Griffith said nothing and walked away as if no one was there. Years later, when Billy Bob became famous, he asked Griffith about that & he told him he must've been having a baaaaad (shakes his jowls) day.

You mean Andy Griffith isn't that lovable sheriff? Are you saying he's human? Next thing you know you're going to tell me that Mr. Ed really can't talk.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shamrock
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Shamrock   E-mail Shamrock   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
Next thing you know you're going to tell me that Mr. Ed really can't talk.

Everyone knows that zebras can't talk!

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 891 | From: New England | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages