snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » "Stay Tuned" inspired by a true story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Stay Tuned" inspired by a true story
valandearl19
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valandearl19   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the early 90's there was a film staring the late John Ritter called Stay Tuned. The story is about a TV-holic who makes a deal with the devil and ends up getting sucked into the TV. Now he has to escape from Satans darkly humorous program lineup (Dwaynes Underworld). According to the trivia on IMDB it says that the film was inspired by an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. I would like to know how exactly

--------------------
Oh No! My Brains-Hans Moleman

Posts: 184 | From: Springfield VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Red hot poker cam!

WOOOOoOOOOOOOoo

suprisingly enjoyable film that was....

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Wow! These things're the size of Buicks!"

The animated sequence was absolutely brilliant [Smile]

Overall an excellent television satire. And surprisingly prescient - I mean "Sadistic Hidden Video" seems tame compared to today's ambush TV doesn't it??

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

Driving Over Miss Daisy!

and it was such guilty awful fun for a family film (rated PG with no dirty stuff). I don't think this whole "satanic stuff played for a joke" idea would play now that there is the "new morality" afoot.

Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no clue how something like "man gets sucked into a tv" would make it onto Unsolved Mysteries. They tend to pass off UL as true, but damn, even they can't be that gullable.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tetsuo_the_great
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tetsuo_the_great   E-mail tetsuo_the_great   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it could have been very loosly inspired. but who knows we wont know that until someone tells us.
Posts: 45 | From: Springfield, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shades of Pale:
The animated sequence was absolutely brilliant [Smile]

Unsurprising, since they got Chuck Jones to direct it.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarkone68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarkone68     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it has to be the story on Unsolved Mysteries that did kind of freak me out for a while. I'm trying to remember it. Hmmm, a man stayed at a hotel. Anyway, it was late and he turned off the TV. He was having trouble falling asleep and he looked at the TV and saw 'eyes' on the screen. Suddenly, he was transported back in time (old west times or so) where he witnessed a murder at that hotel. It went something like that.

The eyes on the turned-off TV screen was what kind of freaked me out, along with being a kid with a very active imagination.

--------------------
"This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archeology, not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place, I'm talking about folklore."

Posts: 40 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OMFG, before I was even at the bottom I was going to relay this information:

The closest thing I can recall from Unsolved Mysteries(my dad and I watched it religiously until they pretty-much dropped the paranormal stuff)involved a guy in a hotel, and a TV!

The one I recall though is a single eye, a single H U G E eye, came out of the TV and floated towards him. It disappeared when he turned the light on.

Perhaps we're thinking of two similar, yet different segments?

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarkone68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarkone68     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, that sounds different from what I remember. And, that's pretty much the same reason why I stopped watcthing it, as well.

--------------------
"This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archeology, not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place, I'm talking about folklore."

Posts: 40 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spiffypants

quote:
Originally posted by Clarkone68:
Well, it has to be the story on Unsolved Mysteries that did kind of freak me out for a while. I'm trying to remember it. Hmmm, a man stayed at a hotel. Anyway, it was late and he turned off the TV. He was having trouble falling asleep and he looked at the TV and saw 'eyes' on the screen. Suddenly, he was transported back in time (old west times or so) where he witnessed a murder at that hotel. It went something like that.

The eyes on the turned-off TV screen was what kind of freaked me out, along with being a kid with a very active imagination.

Holy crap, I remember that same episode. It may not have been Unsolved Mysteries, but some hour long special about ghosts. The eyes on the screen scared the living shit out of me. Just reading your post gave me the chills. eek.
tetsuo_the_great

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tetsuo_the_great   E-mail tetsuo_the_great   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dose anyone else know any other possible episodes that could be the inspiration?
Posts: 45 | From: Springfield, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was inspired by an episode of the highly underrated movie "Amazon Women On The Moon" in which a guy gets sucked into his TV and has to fight off robots or whatever. Not as funny as "Son of the Invisible Man", but good nonetheless.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 202 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soviet Kitsch:
Driving Over Miss Daisy!

I thought one of the funniest scenes was when the character (played by Jack Ritter) found himself on the set of "Three's Company" and he just started screaming.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methos Divino
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methos Divino   Author's Homepage   E-mail Methos Divino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You beat me to it Robbie...

--------------------
"But, what does it do?"
"It doesn't DO anything, that's the beauty of it."

Posts: 70 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages