snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » Counting to A Billion...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Counting to A Billion...
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I read somewhere that it's impossible to count outloud to a billion. It was either a billion or a million...but I can see that it's possible to count outloud to a million, but a billion? Does anyone know if this is true or not?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One billion (in US useage; i.e., 10 9) seconds is more than 30 years. How fast can you count?

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well lets say I have all the time in the world, is it still possible to count to a billion out loud?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Meaty Pop
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meaty Pop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Meaty Pop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even a million is pretty unreachable as a million seconds is 11.5 days.

Meaty Pop

--------------------
Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music

Don't drink and derive--know your limits

Posts: 543 | From: DC | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erwins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erwins   E-mail erwins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings:
Well lets say I have all the time in the world, is it still possible to count to a billion out loud?

Well, what exactly is the question? If you have all the time in the world, then I guess the next question is whether you could have the stamina, keep your voice, stay sane, etc. If that isn't a concern, then there's no reason I can see. But those are some pretty substantial limitations.

erwins

Posts: 238 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A person can count to a billion. It would take you about 30 or 40 years if you had 24 hours a day. So, assuming you sleep and eat, it would take a whole lifetime but it could be done.

Trivia: Most mammals live for about a billion heartbeats. At that rate, I'd just be reaching my warranty now but domescticated (?) humans now live for more than two billion heartbeats.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But I can count to sixty in under a minute...or would it just take longer to say all the syllables in all the numbers you have to say out loud?

~Monica

--------------------

Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Say out loud, "four hundred sixty-four million, three hundred forty-seven thousand, one hundred twenty-one," and time youself.

NIck

--------------------

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you assume (I'm just guessing here) that the average number would take you three seconds to say, since as Nick points out most numbers 1-1,000,000,000 will be mouthfuls, it would take you 3 billion seconds to count that high.

3 billion seconds, or 50 million minutes, or 833,333 hours and 20 minutes, or 34,722.2 days, or 95 years and three weeks. No sleeping, eating, drinking, pausing for breath, or talking to anybody allowed.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

And if you can't trust the advice of someone nicknamed "Mr. Billion" on this thread, then whom can you trust? [Smile]

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

prof. yanaibara
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prof. yanaibara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
A person can count to a billion. It would take you about 30 or 40 years if you had 24 hours a day. So, assuming you sleep and eat, it would take a whole lifetime but it could be done.

You're assuming a second a count - that would be pretty hard to do in the higher syllables.

On a totally different note, a friend of mine was the first guy to click a million times in one day on the "Kill Everyone Project". Clicking is easier than counting (especially because you can alternate between different mouse buttons and keys), but it was still pretty impressive to click a million times in 24 hours. And somewhat scary.

--------------------
away...

Posts: 640 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by erwins:
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings:

Well, what exactly is the question? If you have all the time in the world, then I guess the next question is whether you could have the stamina, keep your voice, stay sane, etc. If that isn't a concern, then there's no reason I can see. But those are some pretty substantial limitations.

erwins

I guess I've been living in NYC too long, because after reading this, my first thought was to propose this to my friends to try as a performance-art-video-concept piece...

I'll let you know if I get any takers...

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nwataya:
You're assuming a second a count - that would be pretty hard to do in the higher syllables.

All it takes to speak that quickly is practice and by the time you got to 1,000,000, you'd have plenty.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
prof. yanaibara
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prof. yanaibara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

All it takes to speak that quickly is practice and by the time you got to 1,000,000, you'd have plenty.
You sure? I don't know what the speed-talking records are, but something like 123,456,789 would be 23 syllables. Even with practice, 23 syllables a second would be ridiculous.

--------------------
away...

Posts: 640 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I counted to a million when I was a kid, about 3rd or 4th grade I think. I didn't do it out loud since I did a lot of it during school, but I did have to say the numbers to myself, not just visualize them. When I got tired of counting or was interrupted I would remember where I was and tried to be pretty strict about not skipping any numbers. I think it took me several months, but I'm not really sure.

I was a weird kid.

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely there must be some Hindu saint somewhere who has reached enlightenment this way.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
quote:
quote:

You sure? I don't know what the speed-talking records are, but something like 123,456,789 would be 23 syllables. Even with practice, 23 syllables a second would be ridiculous.
You might be right. Looks like the record is about half that.
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if instead of saying each number, you said the number "one" a billion times. I can say "one" about 7 times in a second. I know I'd slow down soon, but I can say it at least 3 times in any given second. But let's assume I could say "one" 4 times every second and never get tired. How long would it take me to hit a billion 1s?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erwins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erwins   E-mail erwins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
But let's assume I could say "one" 4 times every second and never get tired. How long would it take me to hit a billion 1s?

About 7.9 years, not counting breaks of any kind. But how would you keep track of how many times you said it?

erwins

Posts: 238 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
What if instead of saying each number, you said the number "one" a billion times. I can say "one" about 7 times in a second. I know I'd slow down soon, but I can say it at least 3 times in any given second. But let's assume I could say "one" 4 times every second and never get tired. How long would it take me to hit a billion 1s?

Don't ask us -- Start counting! [fish]
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One billion (in US useage; i.e., 10 9) seconds is more than 30 years.
You have it easy. A Swedish biljon (10^12) is over 30 000 years.

Of course, we have a miljard (10^9) for the weaklings...

As a side note, I think that both Croatian and Arabic has the same system, probably more nations in the area are also the same.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Traditionally in Britain a 'billion' is a 'million million', but most people talk about a billion being a 'thousand million' as in the USA. It used to be a 'joke' that a billion was the only thing that was bigger in Britain than America. If it takes nigh on 100 years to count to an American billion then reaching a British or Swedish billion is out of everyone's reach.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Japanese has
man 10^4
oku 10^8
cho 10^12
kei 10^16

Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As usual, Wikipedia has something to say about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Say it:

One, two three four five six seven eight nine Ten
One, two three four five six seven eight nine Twenty
One, two three four five six seven eight nine Thirty
One, two three four five six seven eight nine Forty
…
One, two three four five six seven eight nine, one million 2 hundred and forty thousan eight hundred and ninety.

So if it only takes 2 seconds to say one through nine, then an average of 3 seconds as previously mentioned for the others,

2 x 100,000,000 + 3 x 100,000,000 = Only 500 million seconds.

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ron Miel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Miel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings: I think I read somewhere that it's impossible to count outloud to a billion. It was either a billion or a million..
I heard someone took that bet and typed out the numbers 1 to 1 million in words.
Posts: 39 | From: London, England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Biggles
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggles   E-mail Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bored of counting to a million?

You could try writing the 9 billion names of god ;-)

oh, and I agree - 1 billion is impossible for a human. This sort of estimation is often used to weed out programmer candidates who need to be able to quickly gauge feasiblity of possible solutions.

Posts: 83 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages