snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » Sarasponda

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sarasponda
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Where on earth does the song "Sarasponda" come from? Is it really a Dutch
spinning song? Are the words total nonsense, or do they mean something?

If nothing else, I hope everyone's humming it now...

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
If nothing else, I hope everyone's humming it now...

Not I.

What is Sarasponda?

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.backyardgardener.com/loowit/song/song71.html
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alicia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alicia   Author's Homepage   E-mail alicia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
goddamnit! thanks a lot.
Posts: 131 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alicia:
goddamnit! thanks a lot.

[lol] just kidding

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Sarasponda" could have come from Dutch "Sara spon de ..." (Sarah spun the ...) but apart from that I can't make anything of it, nor do I recognize the tune. Perhaps its origin is Afrikaans?
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A post to STUMPERS, a listserv where reference librarians look for answers
quote:
Fired with true Stumpers spirit, my Dutch colleague has taken the bit between her teeth on this question. She reports:

1. Although many English-language websites identify this as a Dutch children's song or folk song, no similar Dutch site (and there are several) says it's Dutch.
2. The Netherlands were under French rule for a time at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th, so it's conceivably a Dutch song with French words. Given the conservatism of children's songs and folk songs, I think this is doubtful, but still of course possible.
3. There is a Dutch-language website for postings about Dutch children's songs:

http://www.pinkelotje.nl/forum.html
She has posted this and will report if anything turns up.

There was no follow up on STUMPERS

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah say pa say oh.
When I was a young'un I sang that song in a music class and I thought that "Ahsay Pasay O's" was something similar to Alphagetti. Probably because it sounded like "Old El Paso" tomato sauce or something.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages