snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » Hospital Slang -- "Peeing in the Hat"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hospital Slang -- "Peeing in the Hat"
CornChex
Katrina -na-na-na, -na-na-na-na, hey-hey-hey, goodbye

Icon 05 posted      Profile for CornChex   E-mail CornChex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this should be posted under "Medical" or "Language", but, here it goes. I am reading a book called "What Was Good About Today" that is about a little girl who is receiving treatment for cancer. (I first read this story as a "Reader's Digest" condensation, and have recently purchased the unabridged version.) Last night I was reading an account of how the little girl receives a bone marrow test. After the test, she needs to urinate. Her mother, who is writing the story, tells how the little girl refuses the bedpan, and "using hospital slang" says she will "pee in the hat". Then, from the description, it seems like she painfully makes her way to the toilet in her hospital room...although it doesn't really make the situation clear.

I guess I am warped to worry about a little detail like this, but I am fascinated by words, and the Snopesters never seem to be irritated by minutia.

I have been in the hospital as a patient and a visitor NUMEROUS times, and have never heard anyone speak of using "the hat." I did a google search, and found one use of the phrase in a medical sense, and it seemed to refer to collecting urine for a 24 hour period so that some hormone level could be tested. In that case, "the hat" could not be the hospital toilet, but would be some type of urinal bottle or bedpan.

So, any takers? I am looking forward to this, because I have always received such good insights from the group before.

Corn ***leaves to urinate in his sombrero*** Chex

Posts: 30 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A "hat" is simply a plastic container with a wide rim that sits across the bowl of the toilet. The person can sit on the toilet and use it normally, but the urine/feces is collected in the hat instead of the toilet. These are used when we need to measure urine output or collect urine/stool samples that can't be contaminated by water. I'll try to find a pic...

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CornChex
Katrina -na-na-na, -na-na-na-na, hey-hey-hey, goodbye

Icon 208 posted      Profile for CornChex   E-mail CornChex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah...that makes perfect sense! Would I be right in guessing that it is probably used more often with females?

(I had a metyrapone test done in the hospital many years ago, and they collected my urine for 48 hours. Being of the male persuasion they just gave me a jug that I hung on the side of the bed instead of a "hat") [Smile]

Posts: 30 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a pic...yes, you would be correct that it's more of a girl thing. They are also used to collect stool samples for guys and gals.  -

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They are in a lot of cases easier to use than a bed pan. Sometimes it's hard to get on a bed pan just right, and it can make your back and/or hip hurt something awful. So, if there's any way to make it to the toilet it's usually better to do so. Also, it's harder to completely empty your bladder while on a bed pan. At least it is for me. YMMV

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
amywatts
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amywatts   E-mail amywatts   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My children love them. I had to have some bloodwork done once and they were impressed with their behavior and got them each a "hat" and decorated them....LOL.

I didn't have the heart to tell them what they are REALLY used for.

Posts: 21 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amywatts:
My children love them. I had to have some bloodwork done once and they were impressed with their behavior and got them each a "hat" and decorated them....LOL.

I didn't have the heart to tell them what they are REALLY used for.

Sounds wonderful, and I congratulate your doctor/hospital for allowing you to get extra ones for your kids to decorate! I agree they didn't have to know the "real" use for the hats [Smile]

Also, since I may be the first to do so - welcome to the boards!

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They even call those "nuns' caps" around here.

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, when someone calls me an asshat, I'll know what they mean. lol

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a lot of experience with the hat March 8-11 after my c-section.

I wonder if they'd be useful in potty training. They may give the child a sense of security, like they wouldn't fall all the way into the water.

As far as other hospital potty slang, there's always "code brown" for fecal incontinence.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fuchsia:
I had a lot of experience with the hat March 8-11 after my c-section.

I wonder if they'd be useful in potty training. They may give the child a sense of security, like they wouldn't fall all the way into the water.

As far as other hospital potty slang, there's always "code brown" for fecal incontinence.

Like Fuchsia, I had to use one of these things after my c-section. Without going into detail I'll just say that I really appreciated this thing way more than a catheter Or the stupid bed-pan. Whomever invented the bedan sucks, btw. That thing is just a waste. (heh, no pun intended)

I had no idea it was referred to as a 'hat' though.

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you re: bedpans, ali_marea. I had to use bedpans during 15 hours of Pitocin-induced labor before they finally decided to do a C-section. I had an IV in each arm and they didn't want to move me to the toilet. When they took the IVs out and the volunteers came to prep me for surgery, I told them I wanted to use the toilet first. They started to tell me no, but then I said it again, more forcefully, and they decided it was best not to argue further with me under the circumstances. [Big Grin]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*snort* [Big Grin] Sounds like we had the same experience, Lainie. Well, almost. I had the pitocin and induced labor as well, so I was also hooked up to the IV and stuck in bed. what sucked the most, as you pointed out, was the bedpan. UGH. I just hated it. The thing that really sucked was the nurse threatened to catheterize me if I didn't use the bedpan (I wanted to go to the restroom...what the hell is the point of having an IV on those wheels if you can't actually move with it? Besides which, I was able to move with the IV after surgery...why not before? [Confused] )

Anyway, I finally used the bedpan because I had to pee so badly I thought I'd explode. Then, not too long after that, they catheterized me anyway. [Roll Eyes] yeah, I was not a happy camper that day.

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At one point the contractions were coming on so fast that if I needed to pee, I had to call for the bedpan the instant one contraction ended -- and even then I sometimes couldn't finish before the next one started. So maybe I couldn't have walked to the bathroom after all. . . but it still sucked.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages