snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » Origin/meaning of "Charity begins at home"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Origin/meaning of "Charity begins at home"
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard the expression "Charity begins at home" in two different contexts, and have often wondered which is the "correct" and/or original meaning:

(1) "Charity" referring to money or material things, and "home" referring broadly to your own self or situation. For instance, a person without much money might buy a treat for himself/herself (or even a necessity) instead of giving money to a charity or a poorer person, saying something like "Charity begins at home! You've got to care of your own needs before you take care of other people!"

(2) "Charity" in the sense of kindness, concern, or responsibility, and "home" being those around you. A person who is out "saving the world" and neglects his/her own family might be told "Charity begins at home!"

(Inspired in part by the Starbucks thread and my comments about a company that cares about the Amazon rainforest but seems to neglect its rank-and-file employees.)

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this link: http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/7/messages/839.html

It seems like the second meaning is the standard one. Although I think that in either sense the word "charity" can refer to money or material things. It's just a question of whether or not the money is being spent on oneself or on one's immediate family/community.

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link.

I had wondered about that for many years.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages