snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » "Bloody" (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Bloody"
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:

on a bit of a tangent. when i was on holiday in florida, i told my friend to "piss off". this guy from new york, who was nearby, fell about laughing, saying he'd never heard the expression. surely americans use it, too?

We do use "piss(ed) off" as a euphemism for "make angry" {"Gee, I really pissed off the boss when I showed up late again."} or to tell someone to take a hike {Oh, piss off! You're getting on my nerves."}. The one we don't use is "taking the piss", as in razzing or teasing someone.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
Originally posted by Bored and Dangerous:
I can understand people not knowing that it's used other than the sexual connotation, but I dislike the implication that I'm incorrect and ignorant because it's simply something you're (plural) not used to.

That isn't quite what we're arguing. It's used in a non-literal sense here too, but because of the masturbatory root (sorry Australians) the non-literal sense is considered somewhat taboo. Either a lot of Americans don't consider masturbation taboo, or they aren't aware of the literal definition.

So in fact the average American appears to be ignorant of the literal definition of the word "wank", when the average person in the UK knows both the literal and non-literal definition. Hence the ignorance is on the American side.

I'm even better than the average Brit because I know what Japanese pigs say, too.

I said earlier that Americans usually know what it means, both definitions, but choose to use the less offensive. I can't count how many times I've heard "wanker" to refer to someone masturbatory, and how many times I've heard it to refer to someone who's basically a "jerk-off," which is a show off, a jerk, a dumbass. No one's ignorant--one side is just choosing to be more offended than another at the way a word is used, and then assuming incorrectness on the part of the other.

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I can understand people not knowing that it's used other than the sexual connotation, but I dislike the implication that I'm incorrect and ignorant because it's simply something you're (plural) not used to.

No offence, but the implication isn't that you're incorrect because it's simply something you're (plural) not used to.

the implication is that your incorrect because you are wrong .(in our humble opinion)

There is no milage to be gained in your argument by playing the "offended" card when there is nothing to get offended about. The disagreement centres around we thinking you're (plural)are totally wrong and us being totally right.

(runs and hides)

EDIT...
and B & D can you fix your above link to the old thread? I have been wracking my brains trying to remember how that "debate" ended up! I seem to remember rather enjoying it!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
quote:

No offence, but the implication isn't that you're incorrect because it's simply something you're (plural) not used to.

the implication is that your incorrect because you are wrong .(in our humble opinion)

There is no milage to be gained in your argument by playing the "offended" card when there is nothing to get offended about. The disagreement centres around we thinking you're (plural)are totally wrong and us being totally right.

(runs and hides)

EDIT...
and B & D can you fix your above link to the old thread? I have been wracking my brains trying to remember how that "debate" ended up! I seem to remember rather enjoying it!

Eh, this must be the dry British humor coming through! [Big Grin]

Seriously, that's the kind of attitude I've encountered before, though. The "I'm right and you're wrong and there's nothing you can say to change my mind because I'm British" kind of mindset.

Unfortunately, my Googling skills are less than stellar, and I can't pull up that conversation again, and other threads on the subject seem to be mysteriously gone. Oh, well.

--------------------
My blog

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[/qb][/QUOTE]Eh, this must be the dry British humor coming through! [Big Grin]

Seriously, that's the kind of attitude I've encountered before, though. The "I'm right and you're wrong and there's nothing you can say to change my mind because I'm British" kind of mindset.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

and there we have it. do you not think that maybe you have a teeny bit of a chip on your shoulder? you seem to think that all the 'british' (and god, how i hate that. i'm english!) people here are saying you're wrong. we're not.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous

quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:

Eh, this must be the dry British humor coming through! [Big Grin]

[/QB][/QUOTE]

and there we have it. do you not think that maybe you have a teeny bit of a chip on your shoulder? you seem to think that all the 'british' (and god, how i hate that. i'm english!) people here are saying you're wrong. we're not. [/QB][/QUOTE]Not all of you, to be sure. But a vocal minority usually does.

--------------------
My blog

Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh, wiggle and point your fingers all you like!

It's not

"There's nothing you can say to change my mind because I'm British"

its

"There's nothing you can say to change my mind because YOU ARE WRONG"

[Razz]

and BTW I was only being semi humorous!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

EDIT...

Unfortunately, my Googling skills are less than stellar, and I can't pull up that conversation again, and other threads on the subject seem to be mysteriously gone. Oh, well.
Is this the one?

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WRT Spike and the "w" word: Did someone really have to mention Spike's enunciation? I thought I was over Spike (however he pronounces British obscenities), but I'm having a relapse. Spike with handcuffs ..... mmmmm!

WRT language used by British characters in American shows: any British character who uses the word "boink" should be regarded with suspicion - over here the word is "bonk".

I'm amused that I can say "pain in the ass" in polite-ish company here, but "pain in the arse", even in my best received pronunciation is off-limits.

The differing meanings of "fanny" in the UK & US can also cause amusement or offence, depending on context.

If we didn't have linguistic differences, we'd lose a great subject for amiable debate!

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Em That's the one!

Ohh happy days!
quote:

"Go wank off, you wannabe wanker."

:rofl: [lol] [lol] [lol]

B & D's munchkin has now been fully classified! [lol]

Llewtrah WTF is "Boink"?

Rhymes with Oink?

(or apparently wank if you are Japanese)

Hans "funny how everything comes full circle in the end!" Off

--------------------

Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Llewtrah WTF is "Boink"?

Rhymes with Oink?

It seems to be the USAnian equivalent of bonk (meaning shag).

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator