snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Curb Stomping, aka the "Oakland Special"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curb Stomping, aka the "Oakland Special"
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard a few references to curb stomping, most notably the scene in American History X where he uses it. Is it a real practice? What would the actual results be? I've heard that if you stomp on a guy's neck while he's in that position it will break it (which makes sense). But if you stomp the poor guy's head? I've heard that it will
A) Shatter all his teeth
B) Detach his jaw from his skull
c) Cave in his skull and kill him outright

Which is closest to the truth, assuming that this actually happens?

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not honestly know if it is an actual practice, but I saw American History X as well and that scene just made me cringe. I would assume that all of what you mentioned (including the broken neck) are possible... and that surviving something like that would be both ugly and painful.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I seems B and C are correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_stomping

Although I bet A would happen too but it wouldn't matter too much since your lower jaw would be gone.

Whatever the case, OUCH!

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wellen
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wellen   E-mail Wellen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I assumed it would shove the upper teeth into the gums and/or break the teeth. At least that is what happened to somehow managed to hit the diving board wrong with his mouth open.
Posts: 17 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hang out with some pretty unsavory people (many of whom actually live in Oakland) and I have never heard of this being done in real life. It's not particularly practical. Unless you have a gun, you'd have to knock the person out, arrange their mouth on the curb, and then stomp them, and street fights usually aren't that long or deliberate. If you do have a gun and you're an Oakland gangsta you're a lot more likely to just shoot the mother rather than go through the hassle of forcing them down on the curb; also your opponent is pretty likely to have a gun.

Typical gang violence is not that poetic or cinematic- just stupid, mindless, prideful brutality.

I could be wrong of course- this is just based on my observations. People are pretty disgusting so I'm sure it's happened somewhere, at some time. It's certainly not common enough around here to deserve the "Oakland special" moniker.

edited for typo.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that curbing is usually done to the victim of a group beatdown. The victim is already unconcious or so weak from have their guts kicked in repeatedly that they can't fight back. It is sort of the final insult. I don't think it is that common though. I few fights I have seen, the "winner" slammed the "loser" down on the sidewalk a couple of times, but I've never seen a stomping.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rhi, that method makes sense. Have you heard, even FOAF style, of people actually doing it? It sounds like more of a skinhead or Hells Angel kind of thing to do, frankly, than a Bloods/ Crips etc thing.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
underfire and overrated
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for underfire and overrated     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ThistleSmelt,

From what I've read, curbing is genearlly thought of as a skinhead thing. Sort of a way to assert final authority over the victim.

-underfire

--------------------
I'm not a beautiful and unique snowflake! I am the all-singing all-dancing crap of the world.

Posts: 111 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard of it in a FOAF style about someone's really bad-ass older skinhead brother. But the guy telling the story was completely unreliable, and he was probably talking about the movie. I do know that sometimes in a group beatdown once the victim is on the ground stomping will start, but to take the time to move them to the curb and place their teeth on the curb is pretty calculated, and I think that most of these kinds of fights happen on the spur of the moment.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mindy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mindy   Author's Homepage   E-mail mindy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard of curb checking where they take and put there mouth on the curb and kick the back of their head. very gruesome !! ewwww
Posts: 29 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

I'm pretty bemused by the "Oakland Special" name. While Hells Angels are a big deal here, as far as I know skinhead gangs have never been big in the Bay Area. It sounds like something someone decided to call an act that is scary and evil, and since Oakland seems pretty scary and evil to most non-residents, they put the two together. I could of course be completely wrong since this is just based on my impression of the gang culture in Oakland and not, you know, scientifically gathered evidence.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Euuugh, that sounds nasty. I wonder how one would handle this in 3rd ed. D&D? Would it just be considered a coup de grace attempt?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSmelt:
I'm pretty bemused by the "Oakland Special" name. While Hells Angels are a big deal here, as far as I know skinhead gangs have never been big in the Bay Area. It sounds like something someone decided to call an act that is scary and evil, and since Oakland seems pretty scary and evil to most non-residents, they put the two together. I could of course be completely wrong since this is just based on my impression of the gang culture in Oakland and not, you know, scientifically gathered evidence.

I don't remember where I heard that name, although your explanation makes sense.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay:
1. I'm a skinhead.
2. I know A LOT of skinheads.
3. No one I know has ever done this or seen it done, although everyone knows what it means due to that crapfest American History X.
4. Oakland does have a fairly bad neonazi/white power problem, or it did in years past, that is tied to excons and prison gangs.

(Do I need to repeat that real skins aren't racist?)

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Euuugh, that sounds nasty. I wonder how one would handle this in 3rd ed. D&D? Would it just be considered a coup de grace attempt?

- Pseudo_Croat

What I want to know is what happens to you on a critical fumble. [Razz]

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:

The stomper falls to the curb due to missing the target body part of the stompee. Roll against Dexterity to see if damage is taken from the fall.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:
Okay:

4. Oakland does have a fairly bad neonazi/white power problem, or it did in years past, that is tied to excons and prison gangs.

Interesting, thank you. I have not heard anything about white power gangs in Oakland, so maybe their behaviors are not being picked up by the local press, or maybe they are not doing as much in Oakland these days, or maybe they are just overshadowed by the other gangs and the more active neo nazis in other parts of the state.

quote:
Not to me. [Smile]

--------------------
Officially Heartless

put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, all the stories I heard about Oakland were from at least 5 years ago. Here's hoping most of the major a$$holes have moved.

--------------------

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

- Pseudo_Croat

You'd probably stub your toe on the curb, taking minor damage unless you were wearing steel-toed boots or the like. [Razz] back atcha.

- Pseudo "curb your enthusiasm" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in highschool, like 5 or 6 years ago I remember that some kid got "Capped" is what they call it, something about you kneeling on a curb and then someone stomps on your knees and it dislocates your kneecap or something?

Anyway I saw American History X and even though I am a fan of every gory horror movie known to man, that movie grossed me out.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like someone in your school heard the slang "Capped" for killing someone, and didn't know what it meant, so came up with their own speculation, that wound up spreading around.
Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
underfire and overrated
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for underfire and overrated     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay:
1. I'm a skinhead.
2. I know A LOT of skinheads.
3. No one I know has ever done this or seen it done, although everyone knows what it means due to that crapfest American History X.

Sorry put it in writing, I didn't mean to offend. I've never heard the term skinhead used for anything but a racist. I'll be careful not to equate the two any more.

-underfire

--------------------
I'm not a beautiful and unique snowflake! I am the all-singing all-dancing crap of the world.

Posts: 111 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do I need to repeat that real skins aren't racist?

In Australia (and I believe, Britain), a "skinhead" is characterised as much by his adherence to racial purity as his shaved head. The term has become synonomous with neo-nazis.

There are not so many skinheads in Australia as there were 20 years ago. For a realistic depiction of the skinhead culture in Australia, I refer you to the Russell Crowe movie "Romper Stomper".

People with shaved heads (including me up to a few years ago)who are not into the racial hatred thing do not refer to themselves as skinheads.

In the 80's, it was always fun to ask them:

Q. How many neo-nazi's does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Four skinheads.

The fight would be over before they worked it out.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Damian, people with shaved heads who are not into the racial hatred thing DO refer to themselves as skinheads. Maybe there are none or few traditional skins in Australia, but I daresay they outnumber the racist boneheads in the US. I'm sure PIIW will have more to say on the topic.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Damien, I hate to tell you this, but Romper Stomper isn't a realistic depiction of skinhead culture in Australia or anywhere. Just because the term "skinhead" got picked up by the media and applied to a bunch of bald racists, that doesn't make it true.

Here are real Aussie skins for you: http://www.aussieskins.com/

And really, you might as well educate yourself as to the background and history. Wiki's not bad:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead

--------------------

Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Damien, I hate to tell you this, but Romper Stomper isn't a realistic depiction of skinhead culture in Australia or anywhere. Just because the term "skinhead" got picked up by the media and applied to a bunch of bald racists, that doesn't make it true.

It was a fairly real depiction of the culture, but the wrong era. In the 70's and early 80's, there really were gangs of skins that copied the British gangs. I can't speak for Sydney, but in the inner suburbs of Melbourne, they were a real presence and looked and behaved as shown in Romper Stomper.

quote:
Here are real Aussie skins for you: http://www.aussieskins.com/
They do not exist in any real form these days. They ceased being a power in the 80's. Today's lot are a poor replica of the originals.

quote:
And really, you might as well educate yourself as to the background and history. Wiki's not bad:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead

I grew up punching-on with the Skinheads, Sharps, Lebo Tiger et al. There is not much to know about them. They, like so many gang members, were the disaffected youth that had such low self-esteem, they could only gain respect by being in a gang. I knew a few Skins. They were not overtly racist, but went along with it just to fit in.

--------------------

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was always wondering if curb stomping was just Urban Legend made popular by American History X. I can't see someone being forced to to put their mouth over a curb to begin with. Furthermore I don't know if the desired effect would work. It would certainly take a lot of effort to inflict the type of damage mentioned in the OP. I even heard that another effect is that it drives the upper teeth into the brain causing death. I just can't see that happening.

I remeber first hearing of curb stomping in a Hustler magazine interview with a loan shark. This was back in in either '82,'83 or 84. This loan shark (from New Brunswick,NJ btw) used this so called method on one of his deadbeats. He simply pummeled the guy and just like that he dragged him to the curb,draped his mouth over it and, jumped up and landed ass down on the back of his head. The result was broken teeth but it didn't kill the victim.
I still find it hard to buy.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Damian: believe what you want, buddy, but there's at least a couple thousand skinheads who disagree with you.

--------------------

Damian

quote:
Damian: believe what you want, buddy, but there's at least a couple thousand skinheads who disagree with you.

Where are these skinheads of which you speak? They are certainly not to be found around Melbourne, which is the only place of which I can speak with any authority.

A close-cropped haircut does not a skinhead make. Take, for example, members of the armed forces. They have shaved heads and quite a few, I imagine, are racist. This does not automatically make them skinheads.

In your part of the world, there may exist some groups that are bona fide Hitler-saluting, jackboot-wearing, slam-dancing skinheads. All I am saying is that they do not exist in noticable numbers in my part of the world, anymore.

--------------------

put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Did you completely miss that web site of Aussie skinheads I posted? They're selling those nonracist skinhead cds to somebody in that part of the world, and I'm willing to bet it's the large number of Australian skinheads.

Frankly, if your idea of the subculture is "Hitler-saluting, jackboot-wearing, slam-dancing", I doubt you'd know skins if you saw us. Skins started out back in the lte 60s in England, when some of the mod style mixed with some of the rude boy/ska style brought in by island immigrants. In the late 70s, when oi was entering the scene, the national front started recruiting football hooligans and copying skinhead fashion because skins carry a reputation as fighters. That's where the nazis enetered the picture. There have always been non and anti-racist skinheads. There are tons of nonwhite skinheads. There are skinhead scenes around the world. What you see on tv are not real skinheads, although many are stupid enough to call themselves that. (How dumb do you have to be to be white power and copy a ska/reggae-based subculture?)

Here's some Aussie SHARPs (not the same as Aussie old school sharpies, this stands for Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice and is found all over the globe): http://www.myspace.com/sharpaustralia

Just a few skins in Australia, including Melbourne, from the first page of google results:
http://www.myspace.com/evilvespa
http://www.myspace.com/aussieskin
http://groups.myspace.com/3000
http://www.myspace.com/almarchingorders (good oi band, right there in Melbourne)
http://www.myspace.com/colonelwaltekurtz
http://www.myspace.com/chrisorders
p://www.myspace.com/battle_scarred (another Melbourne oi band)

Or how about A Night At The Hop, a large Aussie skinhead ska/reggae/mod/rocksteady fest coming up:
http://www.myspace.com/anightatthehop

Does this really look to you as if the skinhead scene is a) a bunch of racist thugs or b) dead?

--------------------

ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Damian:

In your part of the world, there may exist some groups that are bona fide Hitler-saluting, jackboot-wearing, slam-dancing skinheads. All I am saying is that they do not exist in noticable numbers in my part of the world, anymore.

You aren't understanding. PIIW is saying that there are non-racist skinheads in Australia. Traditional skinheads are not neo-nazis- it is a subculture that celebrates being working class.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

put it in writing
Xboxing Day

And beer! Don't forget the beer.

--------------------

RiotGirlHeather
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiotGirlHeather   Author's Homepage   E-mail RiotGirlHeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of it being practiced in real life, but that's one of the ways that you can kill your enemy in the game Gears of War. The enemies aren't human, but it's still pretty gross.

Heather

--------------------
Luke: I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.
Princess Leia: You're who?

Posts: 560 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drink2Forget

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drink2Forget     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's something that always blew my mind. The "Sharpie," folks. Okay, you look like a skin-head and a lot of people already automatically hate you for it. But your not racist so we are supposed to know that somehow (with blue braces, like that matters). Wouldn't it be easier just to be a normal guy and not have to fit into some ubber-punk-skin style? I wouldnt want the trouble of people confusing me with a neo nazi. "No no, it's okay, he's a non-racist skinhead." As far as the curb stopping, I've heard of it, never seen it done. It is an ability in Gears of war. It's much more insulting to have your foe to squish your head than the post death corpse hump.

--------------------
All you have to believe in is yourself. Stray from this and weakness will soon follow-

Posts: 1 | From: Bunker HIll, WV | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages